Fried Gefilte Fish Recipe from the Daily Forward
Makes 10-12 patties
1½ pounds ground fish (such as carp, pike, haddock or even salmon)
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
½ tablespoon sea salt
2 cups matzo meal
¾ cup olive oil
1) Grate the onion and combine it with the fish, egg, pepper and salt, and 3 tablespoons of the matzo meal.
2) Form the mixture into small balls, each about the size of a lemon. Roll each of these in the remaining matzo meal, creating an even coating.
3) Fill a pan with sufficient oil for frying, about ¼-inch deep. Set over a medium-high flame. When a sprinkling of matzo meal sizzles in the oil, add as many patties as will fit without crowding the pan.
4) Fry for 2 minutes on each side, at which point patties should be crisp and golden brown. Check that the fish is cooked all the way through (the center should be white rather than translucent). If not cooked through, continue cooking on lower heat.
5) Serve hot or cold with chrain (horseradish).
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?