The ghost world of superstition is not a remote ethereal place. It might be invisible but it exists quite concretely on the real world – a parallel ritual sphere with great influence on daily life.
Next Door Neighbor documentary frames a collection of apparently bizarre actions and rituals that are part on daily live in Europe. A visit to thin moments of a contemporary hidden culture, that takes place every day so close to all of us.
The irregular camera and the lack of sound and color, avoiding any contextualization, guides the spectator throw the performativity of the actions. This indeterminacy and realism of the footage, opens up a field for the spectator where it is possible to negotiate alternate meanings and symbolic cultures of a specific contex.
How can we relate to places and rituals that are strange to us?
The obsession of modernity with the evidence and the evident gave way to a suppression of the irrational. The breakdown of the objectification of nature in postmodern thought allowed for a re-emergence of the unconscious.
My work creates a stage for these actions, a parallel symbolic order where they present themselves as tokens for our undiscovered rituals. The engagement with this parallel world of the symbolic networks allows for an emergence of a negotiation of this hidden subconscious of modern life.
Exhibitions and Festivals
- Burning Ice Festival, Kaaitheater, with Alternative Pharmacy | Kaaitheater, Brussels, Belgium
- Don’t Know Conference – Artistic Conference on Knowledge Production, with TVRural | KVS – De Bottelarij, Brussels, Belgium
- Hetheater Festival, with Finisterra | deSingel Theater, Antwerp, Belgium
- XIV Biennal International of Art of Vila Nova de Cerveira | Vila Nova de Cerveira,Portugal
- Project Room for FAL- Feira de Arte de Lisboa | Lisbon, Portugal
- Cowparade Lisbon 2006 | Lisbon, Portugal
- Collective Exhibition| Árvore Coorporative, Oporto, Portugal
- Collective Exhibition | Paços do Conselho Galery, Aveiro, Portugal
- Collective Exhibition | Faculty of Science and Tecnology, Nova University, Caparica, Portugal
- Collective Exhibition | Palácio Galveias Galery, Lisbon, Portugal
- Collective Exhibition | Matos Ferreira Galery, Lisbon, Portugal
- Collective Drawing Exhibition “Arriscar” | Municipal Gallery of Penafiel, Portugal
- Mostra Nacional de Jovens Criadores 2002 –Vídeo competition | Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal
- Collective Video Exhibition of Café Taborda | Lisbon, Portugal
- Next Door Neighbor [Experimental Documentary] | Hetheater Festival 2010, deSingel Theater, Antwerp, Belgium
- Clock [Video Instalation] | deSingel Theater, Antwerp, Belgium
- The Storm [Documentary] | São Pedro Theater, Abrantes, Portugal
- As Saudades Que Eu Já Tinha [Documentary] | São Pedro Theater, Abrantes, Portugal
- Cocoon wire [Documentary] | São Pedro Theater, Abrantes, Portugal
- Sharp chat [Documentary] | São Pedro Theater, Abrantes, Portugal
- The fire-pan [Documentary] | Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Other Side [Video Instalation] | Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Female order [Vídeo Performance] | Mostra Nacional de Jovens Criadores 2002, Municipal Teatro of Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal | Collective Video Exhibition of Café Taborda, Lisbon, Portugal
- A Bola e o Monstro [Fiction] | Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?