'deepsouth' is a documentary about the rural American South, and the people who inhabit its most quiet corners. Beneath layers of history, poverty and now soaring HIV infections, four Americans redefine traditional Southern values to create their own solutions to survive. Josh, a college student, seeks the support of an underground gay family miles away from his suffocating Mississippi Delta hometown. With no funds and few resources, Monica and Tammy try to unite reluctant participants at their annual HIV retreat in rural Louisiana. Kathie, an Alabama activist, spends 120 days a year on the road fighting a bureaucracy that continues to ignore the South.
The film has been on a grassroots film tour since July 2012, screening 60 times -- 40 of them in the rural South, at the invitation of communities.
FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS for 'deepsouth':
- BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE at Polari in Austin, Texas
- BEST FEATURE LENGTH DOCUMENTARY at the Pensacola LGBT Film Festival
- SPECIAL PROGRAMMING AWARD FOR FREEDOM at Outfest in Los Angeles, CA
- OFFICIAL SELECTION for Human Rights Watch Film Festival Traveling Tour 2013-2014
- BEST DOMESTIC DOCUMENTARY and AUDIENCE FAVORITE AWARD at Outflix in Memphis, TN
- SHOUT! LGBT BEST DOCUMENTARY and UAB KORONISFEST PUBLIC HEALTH AWARD at Sidewalk in Birmingham, AL
Trouble watching on Vimeo? youtu.be/RJpiyzpBV0Y
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?