Guest of the show: Vinicius Vacanti, CEO and co-founder of Yipit (twitter.com/vacanti)
Host: Arman Suleimenov (twitter.com/suleimenov)
Date: December 2, 2011
Location: New York City, NY
TigerTreks / Princeton Entrepreneurship Club (princetoneclub.com)
The topics discussed:
- Yipit - daily deals aggregator
- 8 projects before stumbling upon the idea for Yipit: unhub.com, 140it.com
- The Lean Startup methodology by Steve Blank, Eric Ries
- 3 blogs to read: 'Both sides of the table' (Mark Suster), 'AVC.com' (Fred Wilson), 'Techmeme.com'
- Actionable metrics
- The difference of yipit.com with 8coupons.com
- On the danger of new ideas: uninformed optimism, informed pessimism, crisis of meaning followed by crash & burn vs informed optimism
- Threewords.me by Mark Bao
- From the project to the company: what happened before an idea and now?
- How does Yipit make money?
- The vision for Yipit and the local commerce in general
- The constant iteration
- Web frameworks. What's better: Python + Django or Ruby on Rails?
- The challenges associated with aggregating deals from 800 different sites
P/S: Vin has a great blog titled 'How to Make It as a First-Time Entrepreneur' (viniciusvacanti.com/). I have been reading it for about a year, highly recommended!
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?