This kind of breathing exercise is described in many of Claude Gordon’s books, namely Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing.
Things to remember when you practice
1. With arms relaxed at your side, turn your palms forward
2. Shoulders will move back but not up
3. Inhale through the nose (preferred) or mouth quickly
4. Exhale all the air without changing your posture
5. Create some resistance by pursing your lips on the exhale
6. STAY RELAXED - you don't want to reinforce tension
7. Pay attention to the muscles that are working
This exercise is part of a customized 5 part lesson plan. Click here to see the entire plan thesystematicapproach.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/haag_20111215.pdf
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?