This is Part Two (of three) of my 2004 video, "Crisis Communication: Guidelines for Action," made jointly with my wife and colleague Jody Lanard. In January 2012 the American Industrial Hygiene Association stopped selling the video, and the rights reverted to me, enabling me to put it on Vimeo.
Of the 25 crisis communication recommendations discussed in the video, Part Two covers numbers 7 through 16:
7. Be willing to speculate.
8. Don’t overdiagnose or overplan for panic.
9. Don’t aim for zero fear.
10. Don’t forget emotions other than fear.
11. Don’t ridicule the public’s emotions.
12. Legitimize people’s fears.
13. Tolerate early over-reactions.
14. Establish your own humanity.
15. Tell people what to expect.
16. Offer people things to do.
The next segment -- Part Three -- is at vimeo.com/35519397. It covers recommendations 17 through 25, plus a brief conclusion.
A complete set of handouts to accompany this video is on my website at psandman.com/handouts/AIHA-DVD.htm.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?