This video illustrates an algorithm for simulating drainage on a surface. The script is written in Python and run in the Grasshopper 3D modeling environment.
In this animation the terrain shifts, and one can see how the drainage paths generated from a series of fixed sources shift to find the slopes and valleys in the terrain.
For each source point, the algorithm:
1. finds the downward sloping direction
2. moves in that direction a designated distance
3. finds the closest point on the surface
4. if this new point is not higher or too close, then
5. it repeats from the new point.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?