Brit Writers Unpublished Writer of the Year 2011 (overall winner of £10k) – Georgina Kirk of Manchester with her Children’s book, Once Upon a Princess a very Hairy Beard Did Grow
Under 16’s Category winners
• Short Stories: Emma Welton, Broken Syllables • Poetry: Orianne Breakspear, Mysterious • Songwriting: Theo Breakspear, Life
Adult category winners
• Songwriting: Vicky Clarke, Don’t Go
• Stories for Children: Georgina Kirk, Once Upon a Princess a very Hairy Beard Did Grow
• Stage & screenplay: Chris Bush, The Impossibility of Apple Trees
• Short Stories: Pamela Pottinger: Howling at the Moon
• Poetry: Wayne Price, The Weather at the End of the News
. Novel: Anna Mendham, Dog Rose
• Non-fiction: Lynne Copp, Dancing Round the Handbags
• International Writer: Thomas Gommersall (from Hong Kong)
• Published Writer of the Year: Max Malik, The Butterfly Hunter
Brit Writers Peoples Prize for Literacy Development: London Evening Standard
The 2010 category award winners were:
Short stories: 16 and under
Fifteen-year-old Sacha Burgess from South London for her story ‘What Lies Beyond’.
Poetry: 16 and under
Ten-year-old Emily Madden Forman from Stratford upon Avon for her poetry collection ‘Laugh Out Loud!’
Dorset mum and breast cancer survivor Katherine Locke for her non-fiction book, Six Women on Twelve Walks.
Sixty-nine-year-old former cathedral chorister Nigel Hanson for his song ‘An Empty Day’.
Songwriting: 16 and under
Schoolgirl Freya Ridings (who will soon be attending the prestigious BRIT School) for her song ‘Doubt’.
Short stories: adult
East Dulwich writers’ group member Helen Hardy (who couldn’t be there to collect her award as she’d given birth that day to her first baby!) for her short story ‘Crush’. Congratulations on both accounts, Helen!
One of Carol Ann Duffy’s MA graduates, David C. Byrne, for his poetry collection ‘Foreign Bodies’.
Bronx-born Pamela Vincent (who divides her time between London, Hove and Sussex) for her novel Swamps and Marshes.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?