In this episode learn how to make your own fruit infused water. Fruit water is a refreshing and delicious way to chill out while cutting your sugar intake.
Sugar is the drug of modern times. We consume 37 times more of it today than we did just over 100 years ago. When given a choice between sugar and cocaine, lab rats choose sugar. Its over consumption has been linked to cancer, osteoperosis, impaired eye sight, higher cholestrol and food allergies. Added sugar is found in nearly all processed foods and Americans consume the majority of it through soft drinks. Many people feel that fruit is health and in moderation it is but it's important to realize that modern fruit has been hybridized over the centuries and is now much higher in sugar than its recent ancestors.
Recipe - adopted from theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water
- fruit -- 2 cups berries, citrus, melons, pineapple...most fruits will work (see recommended amounts in directions)
- herbs -- a sprig of mint, basil, sage, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, or lavender
- water (tap or filtered)
- 2 quart pitcher or jar with lid
- muddler or wooden spoon
General formula for whatever fruit/herb combo you desire.
1. If using herbs, add a sprig of fresh herbs to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon to bruise leaves and release flavor; don't pulverize the herbs into bits.
2. Add approx. 2 cups of fruit to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon, just enough to release some of the juices
3. Fill jar/pitcher with ice cubes.
4. Add water to top of jar/pitcher.
5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Suggested flavor combinations:
Pineapple Mint -- Add a sprig of mint to the jar (you can throw in the whole sprig; or, remove the leaves from the sprig, if you prefer to have the mint swimming around and distributing in the jar). Muddle the mint. Add 2 cups pineapple pieces, muddle, add ice & water.
Watermelon Rosemary -- Add rosemary sprig to jar & muddle. Add 2 cups watermelon cubes; muddle, add ice and water.
Gabby and Lopez
For more episode on health and DIY, check out KorduroyTV's Health Nuts series - Korduroy.TV
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?