The Merchant Venturers Almshouse is a late 17th century grade II* listed building situated in the historic core of Bristol. One wing of the U-shaped building was demolished after severe damage caused by air raids during World War II. The remaining parts of the building survive in reasonable condition, although the interiors were substantially altered during renovations and conversion to flats carried out in 1957. Post war road works covered part of the footprint of the demolished wing and it was not until 2006 that a new highway layout released the land on which the corner of the almshouse stood.
A feasibility study was undertaken into renovation of the existing buildings and to examine ways in which the missing buildings could be reinstated and even extended. In each option the existing buildings are returned to their original internal layout as small houses and new buildings added in the style of the original to include a mixture of small houses and flats. One option which fully reinstates the layout to its original form and adds two further houses in front of the adjoining office building has been worked up and submitted for detailed planning permission and listed building consent.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?