This film was produced for the German Protestant Institute of Archeology (GPIA), research unit for the German Archaeological Institute (DEI). It is a short, educational-promotional film about their work beneath the Church of the Redeemer in the Old City, Jerusalem.
Built on initiative of the German Emperor Wilhelm II between 1893 and 1898 on the ruins of the crusaders’ church St. Maria Latina, construction of the Church of the Redeemer exposed a wall which is potentially the famous “Second Wall” (according to Josephus Flavius).
In the 1970s the German Protestant Institut of Archaeology conducted a four-year excavation beneath the church led by Ute Wagner-Lux. This received international attention at that time. In 2009, in cooperation with the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam, students of Architecture and Urban Design created a concept for the tour through the excavation.
Opened to the public in December 2012, this project now aims to serve a better understanding between cultures and religions by developing a clearer understanding of history. Beneath the Church of the Redeemer on Muristan Street in the Christian Quarter of the Old City Jerusalem, visitors may enjoy both a guided tour of the archaeological site and the highly informative and beautifully developed museum.
Shot with a Canon 60D and a Rode Pro mic, LED hand-lights and construction grade halogens (in the dig). Special thanks to Farid Kirreh for his assistance.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?