After beating Virginia Tech 7-0 on Friday, the No. 1 Tar Heels fell 4-3 to UVA Saturday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
Virginia (9-7, 4-1 ACC) won the doubles point. The Tar Heels ame back strong im singles, and Whitney Kay was first to finish with an impressive 6-1, 6-1 victory.
But Carolina lost two other singles matches and everything hinged on the last match between first-year Kate Vialle and UVA senior Erin Vierra.
Vialle won the first set 6-3 but Vierra stepped up and won the second and third ones 6-3, 6-1, sealing UVA’s victory.
UNC is now 17-2 this season (3-1 in the ACC), and it is unsure whether the Tar Heels will remain No. 1 after this loss.
They will have a chance to get back on the victory trail next Friday, April 5, at 2:30pm as they host Georgia Tech at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
SUM-UP - No. 27 Virginia 4, No. 1 North Carolina 3:
1. Stephanie Nauta/Erin Vierra (UVA) def. #42 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (NC), 8-6
2. Julia Elbaba/Hana Tomljanovic (UVA) def. Gina Suarez-Malaguti/Tessa Lyons (NC), 8-6
3. Zoe De Bruycker/Ashley Dai (NC) def. Li Xi/Maria Fuccillo (UVA), 8-5
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) def. #65 Stephanie Nauta (UVA), 6-2, 6-2
2. #15 Julia Elbaba (UVA) def. #43 Zoe De Bruycker (NC), 6-3, 6-1
3. #25 Whitney Kay (NC) def. Li Xi (UVA), 6-1, 6-1
4. #33 Caroline Price (NC) def. Hana Tomljanovic (UVA), 6-0, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Erin Vierra (UVA) def. Kate Vialle (NC), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVA) def. Ashley Dai (NC), 6-1, 6-3
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?