BEHOLD THE HOLY PLACE
Surrounded by stately oaks and crepe myrtles, the Church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ continues to serve the community of Donaldsonville today as it has for more than two hundred and thirty years.
Founded by order of King Charles III of Spain in 1772, it has remained the center of faith for Christians here under the flags of Spain, France, Territory of Louisiana, the Confederate States of America, and the United States of America. No one knows exactly when the first small chapel was constructed, however, the Acadians began to settle the area in 1758, and records indicate that the Spanish militia began construction on a small mission chapel for the settlement on September 10, 1770, on property that remains designated as church property today. It was--as were other churches along the Mississippi River--served by a missionary priest who traveled by boat up and down the River.
Donaldsonville is the home of one of the oldest synagogue buildings still standing in the United States. The wooden building, now in use as an Ace Hardware store, was built in 1872 by Congregation Bikur Cholim, which disbanded in the 1940s.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?