Works selected by Claudia Cremonini, Director
The Ca' d'Oro museum, one of the most beautiful late-gothic buildings in Venice, hosts Baron Giorgio Franchetti’s impressive art collection. Around 1916, the Baron bestowed the grand palace to the City of Venice for use as a public art museum. The palace, also the representative home of the rich merchant Marino Contarini, and built between 1421 and 1440 was subjected to many transformations and the baron Franchetti wanted already to trasforme it into a museum. In 1927, the Gallery was opened and many art pieces from other museums (Gallerie dell'Accademia, Museo Archeologico) and from the State Property were added to the collection. The most important pieces are Flemish tapestries, sculptures, Venetian, Tuscan and Flemish paintings, wooden furniture, Renaissance sculptures and bronzes, coins, medals and the sorrowful image of the Saint Sebastian by Andrea Mantegna. The actual installation was made between the 70s and 80s. From 1992 there is also a new space dedicated to Venetian ceramics situated in the Lagoon in Palazzo Duodo, nearby Ca' d'Oro. The courtyard is truly beautiful, with floor mosaics in opus sectile made by Giorgio Franchetti himself and inspired by paleochristian churches. The artist's ashes are buried under a red porfido column. Lastly, a well-curb sculpted by Bartolomeo Bon (1427) joined the collection after the Baron re-bought it from an Antiquarian merchant.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?