At the site of the former Aspangbahnhof in Vienna´s 3rd district a large stretch of unkempt nature was allowed to flourish until recently.
As the railway took over from channel shipping as the main means of transport in the 1870s the Aspang train station replaced the Viennese shipping docks of the Wiener Neustädter Kanal in 1881. The place has also a very dark history as between 1939 and 1942 the Jews of Vienna were deported from this station into the ghettos and death camps of the east.
When in 1977 the railway station was demolished the place was left mostly to it´s own and a biotope for birds, butterflies and rabbits as well as a breathing space for stressed out city dwellers could develop.
But soon this green interlude will be history too since the "Eurogate" project, a large scale building project, is finally being realised and stamping out all living things.
to be continued...
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?