Śrī Viṣṇu Sahasranāma Stōtraṁ - 1000 Names of Vishnu - Verses 10 – 21 of the Introduction
Jaya Guru Datta
Yudhiṣṭhira uvāca - Yudhiṣṭhira said:
10. Kimēkaṁ daivataṁ lōkē kiṁvāpyēkaṁ parāyaṇaṁ Stuvantaḥ kaṁ kamarcantaḥ prāpnuyur mānavāśśubhaṁ
“Who controls this entire universe? Who is the sole divinity that is to be worshipped? What is the supreme status that one should attain? Whom should men praise to obtain the highest good?
11. Kō dharmassarva dharmāṇāṁ bhavataḥ paramō mataḥ Kiṁ japanmucyatē janturjanma saṁsāra bandhanāt
What is the highest form of Dharma that will give liberation and prosperity? By the chanting of which may all living beings attain release from the endless cycle of birth and death in the world?”
Śrī Bhīṣma uvāca - Bhīṣma replied:
12. Jagatprabhuṁ dēvadēvamanantaṁ puruṣōttamaṁ Stuvannāma sahasrēṇa puruṣassatatōtthitaḥ
“That master of all the worlds, who is the supreme among all deities, the infinite, the ultimate Lord, He grants freedom from grief to all those who praise Him with the one thousand names.
13. Tamēva cārcayannityaṁ bhaktyā puruṣamavyayaṁ Dhyāyan stuvan namasyaṁśca yajamānastamēvaca
By constantly worshipping with devotion that imperishable Supreme Lord alone, by meditating upon Him, praising Him, and praying to Him, the worshipper gets uplifted.
14. Anādi nidhanaṁ viṣṇuṁ sarva lōka mahēśvaraṁ Lōkādhyakṣaṁ stuvannityaṁ sarva duḥkhātigō bhavēt
He is without beginning or end. He is all-pervasive. He is the Lord of all the worlds. He controls the universe. By praising Him continuously one transcends all grief.
15. Brahmaṇyaṁ sarva dharmajñaṁ lōkānāṁ kīrti vardhanaṁ Lōkanāthaṁ mahadbhūtaṁ sarva bhūta bhavōdbhavaṁ
He is the friend of Brahma. He knows Dharma. He increases the fame of all the worlds. He is the Lord of the universe. He is the supreme Truth. He is the source of existence of all beings.
16. Ēṣamē sarva dharmāṇāṁ dharmōdhikatamō mataḥ Yadbhaktyā punḍarīkākṣaṁ stavairarcēnnarassadā
I consider that constantly worshiping the lotus-eyed Viṣṇu with praise and prayer with utmost devotion, is the highest amongst all prescribed duties.
17. Paramaṁ yō mahattējaḥ paramaṁ yō mahattapaḥ Paramaṁ yō mahadbrahma paramaṁ yaḥ parāyaṇaṁ
He is the Supreme Light of Consciousness. Supreme is His penance. He is the supreme infinite being. To praise Him is the ultimate.
18. Pavitrāṇāṁ pavitraṁ yō mangaḷānāṁ ca mangaḷaṁ Daivataṁ dēvatānāṁ ca bhūtānāṁ yōvyayaḥ pita
He is the purest of the pure. He is the most auspicious. He is the God of all gods. He is the imperishable Father of all beings.
19. Yatassarvāṇibhūtāni bhavantyādi yugāgamē Yasminśca praḷayaṁ yānti punarēva yugakṣayē
All beings emanated from Him at the beginning of Time. All beings dissolve into Him again when the Time cycle ends.
20. Tasya lōka pradhānasya jagannnāthasya bhūpatē Viṣṇōrnāma sahasraṁ mē śruṇu pāpa bhayāpahaṁ
Oh king, hear from me the thousand names of Viṣṇu, the Lord of the Universe, the highest in all the worlds, which destroy all fear and all sins.
21. Yāni nāmāni gauṇāni vikhyātāni mahātmanaḥ R̥ṣibhiḥ parigītāni tāni vakṣyāmi bhūtayē
I will tell you these most famous thousand names which even the sages recite, that describe the great Viṣṇu, the Lord of the Universe.
(The setting: Lord Krishna took the Pandavas to their grandfather Bhishma who was lying on a bed of arrows in the battlefield of Kurukshetra after the conclusion of the war. Yudhishthira learned from his venerable grandfather all about statecraft and Dharma. This hymn is a part of the dialog that took place between Yudhishthira and Bhishma. It occurs in the great ancient epic Mahabharatha, written by Sage Veda Vyasa in the Sanskrit language.)
Note: The photograph is from the website: dattapeetham.com - it is of the Utsava Murthis of Lord Venkateshwara and His two consorts Sridevi and Bhudevi. It is from the Sri Datta Venkateshwara Temple at Avadhoota Datta Peetham in Mysore India. His Holiness Parama Pujya Sri Sri Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji, the pontiff and founder of the ashram is seen behind the deities, showering His divine blessings on all the devotees on the auspicious day of Vaikuntha Ekadasi 2012.
Sri Guru Datta
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?