On Monday 9th September 2013 a bird hit the power cables behind our villa in Argaka, Cyprus. There was a bright blue flash and a sizzling noise before its burning carcase landed on a field of stubble and we lost one phase of power to our homes.

Luckily the farmer had cut and baled the hay a month or two before and had removed most of the bales the week before. The stubble caught fire and the high wind we had fanned the flames. Thankfully they went away from our villas, but Savvas' house was in the path of the flames. My neighbour Sheryl, myself and some of Phytos the gardener's workmen made sure the flames stayed away from the villas, but not Savvas' house as our hoses were too short. Meanwhile Sue rang the firebrigade, who were very quick to arrive from the Gialia firestation just a couple of miles away.

Once the fire engines arrived (there were 3 in total) the fire was extinguished quite quickly and power was then restored to our properties an hour or so later by the guys from EAC (Cyprus Electricity).

Loading more stuff…

Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?

Loading videos…