At approximately 6:30 p.m. an explosion occurred on the north field at the home football game, Sept. 13. The Farmer Boys grill caught on fire and eventually spread to the surrounding tent. After a few minutes the barbecue exploded sending flying pieces of metal onto the field and Alluvial.
Val Rivera and Lisa Raynes took precautions by clearing the area. While making sure everyone was away from the flames, Rivera had his back turned to the fire which then exploded, propelling him back and knocking him unconscious. A Farmers Boys employee, Jose, received burns on both his arms and was also sent to the hospital.
Shortly after, the Fresno Fire Department and Fresno Police Department arrived on scene, followed by two ambulances. Rivera was taken to Kaiser Hospital, but was conscious and responsive before leaving campus.
The Farmer Boys concession stand caught on fire, followed by the propane tank exploding a few minutes later at approximately 6:30 p.m., Sept. 13. The explosion sent two to the hospital, including Val Rivera and the owner of Farmer Boys.
Because metal shrapnel landed into the football field. The Police Department had to photograph the evidence, causing a slight delay to the football game, scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
For more information, read The Feather's Sept. 13 article, "BREAKING: Explosion occurs on North Field, 6:30 p.m. (UPDATE, VIDEO)."
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?