STORY: SOMALIA- JOWHAR FLOODS
SOURCE: AU/UN IST
RESTRICTIONS: This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is not to be sold on and is restricted for other purposes. All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
CREDIT REQUIRED: NONE
LANGUAGE: SOMALI/ ENGLISH/NATS
DATELINE: 12 NOVEMBER 2013/JOWHAR/ SOMALIA
1. Wide shot, aerial shot, flooded Jowhar areas
2. Med shot, flooded Jowhar town
3. Close up, villages submerged
4. Med shot, flood Jowhar road
5. Wide shot, Jowhar AMISOM base camp
6. Wide shot, displaced Jowhar residents arriving at the AMISOM base camp
7. Mid shot, displaced Jowhar residents arriving at the AMISOM base camp
8. Wide shot, displaced Jowhar residents lining up at the entrance of the AMISOM base camp
9. Mid shot, displaced Jowhar residents lining up at the entrance of the AMISOM base camp
10.Wide shot, established tents outside the AMISOM base camp
11. Med shot, displaced Jowhar residents outside their tents outside at the AMISOM base camp
12. SOUNDBITE (Somali): Ali Haji Wehelow, Jowhar resident:
“The rains and the floods have brought problems. They have increased the hunger, our farms are submerged and we do not have any food. We are in a difficult position. Unless we receive help, we will not have anything,”
13. Wide shot, AMSIOM tent serving as a maternity ward
14. Wide shot, mothers with their newborn babies
15. Close up, newborn baby by her mothers side
16. Mid shot. Mother attending to her newborn baby
17.Wide shot, AMISOM doctor attending to a malnourished baby, as her mother holds her.
18. Mid shot, AMISOM doctor attending to a malnourished baby, as her mother holds her.
19. Close up, shot, mother of the malnourished baby holding her baby.
20. Wide shot, AMISOM doctors attending to a patient outside the tent
21. Mid shot, AMISOM doctors attending to a patient outside the tent
22. Close up, AMISOM doctors attending to a patient outside the tent
23. Mid shot, patient receiving treatment outside the tent
24. SOUNDBITE (English): Brig. Gen Dick Olum, the Uganda Contingent Commander:
“As I talk today, there are approximately a total of four thousand people that are in here. The most distressful one is the women and children. They’re really distressed. Most of their parents have been killed and you get these kids here, and you get these women here, without any help. We also get another sad situation of the women in labor, that are due for delivery. And as I told you here, AMISOM right here has delivered up to almost 20 kids.”
25. Wide shot, AMISOM and Qatar Charity staff, plan on how to distribute the food
26. Mid shot, AMISOM soldier talking to Qatar Charity staff 29. Close up AMISOM and Qatar Charity staff plan on how to distribute the food
27. Mid shot, Qatar Charity
28. Wide shot AMISOM and Qatar Charity staff plan on how to distribute the food
29. Wide shot, Qatar Charity staff offloading the food items and tents for distribution
30. Mid shot, Qatar Charity staff offloading foodstuffs and tents
31. Wide shot, Qatar Charity staff offloading the foodstuffs and tents for distribution
32. SOUNDBITE (English): Brig. Gen Dick Olum, the Uganda Contingent Commander:
“The urgent need is one about feeding of these people, secondly shelter we need shelter, thirdly medication. Those are the curial requirement that we need. It has been a situation that befell us without preparation but I think the three that I mentioned are the crucial ones; one medi-care, two shelter and three food.”
33. Wide shot, displaced Jowhar residents setting up at their tents at the AMISOM base camp
34. Close up, a displaced Jowhar resident setting up at his tent at the AMISOM base camp
35. Wide shot displaced Jowhar residents setting up at their tents at the AMISOM base camp
As Somalia recovers from a tropical cyclone that battered its north-east regions killing at least 100 people, another humanitarian crisis is unfolding in Jowhar in the south of the country. Following heavy rains in the Horn of Africa, the River Shabelle burst its banks, submerging entire villages and farms in its path.
Thousands of people have been displaced by the floods and have been forced to seek shelter on higher grounds. The dire situation is compounded by inter-clan clashes between the Jareer and Abgaal clans. So far the conflict has claimed more than one hundred lives.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?