Requirements: "Create a three-minute drama in the mode of Dogme95. All Dogme 95 rules in the “Vow of Chastity” will apply as obstructions. The genre is “drama” in the sense that there must be exposition, conflict, and a climax (not in the drama vs. comedy sense; your drama may be comedic). The story must include some sort of “secret” that is revealed in the film."
Since I was in Rome during filming of this project, I had to do it on my own. I had help from my friend and colleague Bill who I accompanied on this international shoot, and we shot entirely on location in the neighborhood around our hotel with a DSLR. All audio was captured on site. Enjoy!
Dogme 95 Vow of Chastity:
I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGMA 95:
1. Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).
3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).
4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
8. Genre movies are not acceptable.
9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.*
10. The director must not be credited.
Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a “work”, as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.
Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY.
Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995
On behalf of DOGMA 95, Lars von Trier, Thomas Vinterberg
*The Academy ratio is 1.375 to 1. 1:33 to 1 is acceptable.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?