On this episode of College Fit Cuisine, Sushi Chef Austin Win shows us how to make a California Roll!!
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 5 rolls
1 pack imitation crab meat
½ nori sheet (seaweed)
1/8 Hass avocado
1 cup short-grain sushi rice
2 tbs rice vinegar
Pickled ginger (optional)
Rice (about. 45 min):
1. Rinse rice in cool water until liquid is clear. Drain rice and combine with 1 1/4 cups cold water. Heat the rice in a pot on high. When it boils, lower heat and cover pan for 20-30 minutes.
2. When the rice is done cooking, add rice vinegar and stir.
3. Flip rice over into a large container and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Roll (about 15 min):
1. Dip fingers into a bowl of water to prevent rice from sticking to your hands. Grab a small handful of rice and place it on the nori (the nori should be cut in half). Spread the rice evenly across the nori.
2. Flip the nori over.
3. Peel a cucumber and cut out the seeds. Cut the cucumber into long half inch strips.
4. Cut 1/8 of an avocado into two thick slices.
5. Slice imitation crab into long strips.
6. Place cucumber and avocado in the middle of the roll. Add imitation crab.
7. Wrap a Makisu (bamboo mat) with plastic wrap. Place nori onto mat with rice face down.
8. Grab the mat with your thumbs and index fingers. Roll mat over while pushing ingredients in with remaining fingers. Squeeze roll tightly. Start this process again, and continue until the ends of the mat touch. Remove mat.
9. Cut roll in half. Place each half one behind the other, and slice in half again. Slice each fourth in half to make eight pieces.
10. Enjoy with a side of wasabi and/or pickled ginger.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?