foods4healing.com/ Chocolate has incredible healing powers.
Here are some of the reasons why dark, non sugary chocolate is quite healthy:
1. Chocolate contains antioxidant polyphenols that neutralize free radicals. Antioxidants protect against the development of diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and dementia.
2. Antioxidant features also come from the flavonoids found in chocolate. Flavonoids help protect plants from environmental toxins and help them repair damage. These flavonoids can be found a number of fruits and vegetables. When we eat foods rich in flavanoids, we too can reap the benefits of toxin removal and damage repair.
3. Flavanols are the main type of flavonoid found in cocoa and chocolate. In addition to having antioxidant qualities, research shows that flavanols may have positive influences on vascular health, such as lowering blood pressure, improving blood flow to the brain and heart, and making blood platelets less sticky, so less likely clot.
Before you reach for that yummy chocolaty cake, know that not all forms of chocolate contain these high levels of flavanols. Cocoa has a powerful pungent taste. This taste comes from the flavanols. When cocoa is processed, chocolate companies put it through several operations to dampen the bitterness. The act of processing (through fermentation, alkalizing, and roasting) greatly minimizes flavanols health benefits.
4. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, two contributors to increased mental alertness and physical energy.
5. The neurotransmitter, anandamide in chocolate blocks the feelings of pain and anxiety for some time.
6. The epicatechins present in higher amounts in dark chocolate have heart promoting qualities.
For more information on what type chocolate to avoid along with the best sources for healthy chocolate please visit: foods4healing.com/
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?