The WFMT Radio Network and the estate of Jerome Moross presents this two-hour radio documentary, "JEROME MOROSS: The Big Country and Beyond," in honor of the composer's 100th birthday. It was originally broadcast by classical music radio stations in the United States and internationally beginning August 1st, 2014, the composer's actual birth date. It has been part of a yearlong celebration of the composer that has included a live performance of Moross's 1st Symphony by JoAnn Falletta and the Buffalo Philharmonic in April 2014.
Produced by British radio documentarian Jon Tolansky, the program is narrated by Grammy award-winning artist and champion of American music, Michael Feinstein. The program features some of Moross's most memorable music with interviews and commentary from many whose lives and careers were touched by the composer, including the legendary singer and actress Kaye Ballard, conductor JoAnn Falletta, and British singer Claire Martin. Rare recorded conversations from several archives give listeners a chance to hear Jerome Moross talk about his music in his own words.
Playlist and Credits
11. Willie the Weeper from Ballet Ballads, John DeHaan, Hot Springs Music Festival, Richard Rosenberg, conductor, Naxos American Classics, 8.559086
12. Ridin’ on the Breeze from Ballet Ballads, Philip Chaffin, Windflowers: The Songs of Jerome Moross, psclassics 03607-10122
13. Overture, The Golden Apple, original cast recording, BMG 09026-68934-2
14. It’s The Going Home Together from The Golden Apple, Stephen Douglass & Priscilla Gillette, original cast recording, BMG 09026-68934-2
15. Lazy Afternoon from The Golden Apple, Kaye Ballard, original cast recording, BMG 09026-68934-2
16. Lazy Afternoon from The Golden Apple, Claire Martin, Too Much in Love to Care, Linn Records, AKD390, in CD & mp3 formats
17. Store Bought Suit from The Golden Apple, original cast recording, BMG 09026-68934-2
18. Scylla and Charybdis from The Golden Apple, Jack Whiting & Dean Michener, original cast recording, BMG 09026-68934-2
19. The Last Judgement, Dance # 4, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta, conductor, Albany Records, Troy 1400
20. The Last Judgement, Dance #8, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta, conductor, Albany Records, Troy 1400
21. The Big Country, selections from the original soundtrack available through Screen Archives Entertainment firstname.lastname@example.org
22. The War Lord, from The Valley of Gwangi: The Classic Film Music of Jerome Moross, Silva Screen Records, FILMCD 161
23. Sonata For Piano Duet and String Quartet, Chamber Music of Bernard Herrmann & Jerome Moross, Albany Records, Troy 301
24. Excerpt from Sorry, Wrong Number, Sarah Johannsen, Soprano, Opera Saratoga
25. Concerto for Flute and String Orchestra, Alexa Still, flute, New Zealand Chamber Orchestra, Donald Armstrong, leader.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?