Preparing mugi-urushi consolidant for treatment of crack to right of internal cartouche.
1. Filtering urushi to remove impurities.
2. Blending the urushi with a paste made of Japanese wheat (mugi) flour mixed with water.
3. Spreading out the mugi-urushi to start the hardening process.
4. Mugi-urushi darkening as it is repeatedly spread out and begins to harden.
5. Inspecting the crack with a spatula to identify areas of lifting lacquer.
6. Transferring the mugi-urushi into a porcelain cup.
7. Diluting the mugi-urushi with a solvent.
8. Filling a plastic pipette with the diluted mugi-urushi.
9. Fitting a fine nozzle to the pipette.
10. Inspecting the crack and deciding on the positions of the pressure pads to be used after applying the diluted mugi-urushi.
11. Injecting the diluted mugi-urushi from the top of the crack downwards.
12. Wiping away excess mugi-urushi with a solvent and a cloth.
13. Fitting and securing a wooden bracing frame.
14. Preparing pads of acrylic and silicon sheet wrapped in cling-film.
15. Placing the pads over the areas where lifting lacquer has been identified and bracing them into position with flexible bamboo rods.
16. Adjusting the length of a bamboo rod.
Loading more stuff…
Hmm…it looks like things are taking a while to load. Try again?