We always try to be as transparent as possible here at Vimeo, so from time to time we like to give you guys a solid update on what we're cooking up. On the menu soon are a few BIG projects that we're very excited about and we think you're going to like them.
You've been asking for it for years, and now it's coming: the Desktop Uploader is a fancy new way to upload your videos without ever launching your web browser. This should be perfect for those of you who sometimes have trouble uploading, and for folks who would like to batch upload a bunch of videos at once. Features include:
• More-stable uploading (no more frustrating browser time-outs!)
• Pause/resume features (Start. Stop. Get a sandwich. Start again. NBD.)
• Upload multiple videos at once (Up to 10 at once!)
• Edit titles, tags, and descriptions (more controls coming in future updates)
• Available for Windows, Macs, and Linux (it uses Adobe AIR)
The uploader will be in public beta soon, but you can get special access now by asking for it here.
As many of you know, we've been working hard on a new stats feature. It's taken us a while because we want to get it right, and so far it's looking great. The majority of the features will be for Plus users with a few key stats available for Basic members as well, so everyone can join in on the fun. Feature highlights:
• Extensive data on all videos in aggregate and individually
• Daily breakdowns of likes, plays, comments, HD vs SD plays, loads and finishes
• Awesome referrer data (where are your videos being watched?)
• Share and download stats (find out what video people download the most)
• Geo stats (see where people are watching your stuff)
• And more...
We'll be releasing advanced stats before the end of the year, but for now here's a preview:
* NOTE: We're tweaking these views a lot so what you see will change before it's done.
If you haven't noticed already, the video pages are now larger. For most videos they are 640x480! That means your SD videos are bigger and better than ever. And more often than not, your videos will play in their native resolution. For an example, just check out this video.
Featured Groups and Channels!
Looking for some inspiration? Check out these Groups and Channels we've been watching:
The Pictures Don't Move
Sometimes the best videos are ones where not a lot happens. Great for photographers or anyone else looking to celebrate the simple and beautiful side of capturing video, The Pictures Don't Move is a fantastic Group that celebrates the pure experience of capturing life on video.
FilmTools: How To
Not everyone has a couple grand to drop on the latest and greatest film accessories. We sure don't. Film Tools is perfect for you guys to share your DIY skills with step-by-step instructions for making all those fancy new toys everyone seems to be using. Learn how to make lend adapters, steadicams, glide tracks, and all sorts of other cool equipment.
"Produced coaster videos are OK but, they fall short when you want to get an actual feel for the ride. This channel is dedicated to the true coaster video, when the rider sneaks a camera on board, straps in and hits record." Couldn't have said it better myself.
Enjoy the week, and as always, have fun and be creative!+ More from the Staff Blog Archive