At Vimeo, we've seen first hand the increased demand for mobile video: traffic to our mobile site is up more than 100% percent since last year at this time. We're not going to sit back in our beanbag chairs and watch the numbers go through the roof. Instead, we're making it easier for smartphone-toting citizens to enjoy Vimeo from anywhere through a sweet suite of new mobile apps for Android, Windows Phone, and, coming in a few months, for Apple iPhone and iPad.
We're unveiling our Android and Windows Phone apps at CES (the world's
largest consumer electronics tradeshow) in Las Vegas next week, and we want
to give you, our favorite people in the universe, the first look at how they'll improve
your life immeasurably.
For starters, we've sculpted dedicated user interfaces for Android and Windows Phone to provide the best experience on any device, including the piping hot Amazon Fire. You can watch all the videos on Vimeo on your phone, plus access your own. You can like, comment on, and add videos to your Watch Later queue. Vimeo members can scope out their inbox, Watch Later queue, and liked videos, just like on a traditional internet browser. We've also included our upload manager so you don't have to start over if an upload is interrupted due to your phone signal crapping out at the worst possible moment.
Here are some bulletpoints that explain the all of the apps' wonderful attributes in excruciating detail:
The APPMAZIN' FEATURES of Vimeo's Android and Windows Phone Apps:
- Free to download from the Android Market, Amazon App Store for Android, and WindowsPhone Marketplace
- Compatible with all Android devices running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and above, Amazon Fire and Windows Phone devices running Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) and above
- Watch and manage all your Vimeo videos and download them to your camera roll
- Watch videos from your Vimeo inbox, Watch Later queue, and videos you like
- Easily like videos, comment on videos, and add videos to your Watch Later queue
- Discover new and interesting videos curated by Vimeo Staff
- Easily upload your raw footage or previously edited creations in HD or SD
- Pause/resume uploads and get reminded when a video is paused
- Replace existing videos
- Edit titles, descriptions, tags, privacy settings, and credits
And there you have it! Cruise over to the Android Market, the Amazon App Store for Android, or the Windows Phone marketplace (TBD) and click whatever buttons enable you to get your download on. Enjoy our apps!
P.S. Remember how we mentioned the new Vimeo app for iPhone and iPad and then didn't say anything about it? That app is getting its very own blog post very soon. Stay tuned.+ More from the Staff Blog Archive