Good afternoon. Our designers and engineers finished the new video page. Take a look at Remyyy's video Break Time to see it in action.
I think it is a huge improvement over the previous version. Here's what's new:
- Bigger video: 506 pixels wide instead of 460.
- Better quality video: 500kbps, instead of 400kbps (Down the road, we will convert your old videos to higher quality automatically; if you want it now, you can Replace the video)
- Better video player: faster, you can Share, Embed, or Like it from anywhere you can watch it (Albums, Channels, or on external sites).
- There's now a separate Settings page for each video. This means no more clumsy in-line editing.
- New upload page: It's actually built-in to the settings page. So you can upload and edit clips in the same way, instead of having two separate interfaces. The uploading process is more stable and responsive.
- Easier, faster friend finder for cast and privacy. It shows your contacts, by default, instead of any random users who match your search text.
- The Share and Embed popups are much easier now; try them!
- If the video belongs to a Channel or Album, you will see it prominently next to the video. This will help you discover other related videos, but tastefully, ie, instead of plastering "Related Videos" thumbnails everywhere.
- "My Videos" will only be videos you uploaded (ie, back to normal!). You will still be able to browse all videos you have a credit for, but they won't be "your" videos.
- New home page, making it easier to discover new videos and to manage your inbox. We're simplifying things.
- iPhone integration. Not really but I wish; the YouTube app on there sure does suck. "Oh, hey, I can watch 'The Evolution of Dance' again, great." Apple, what's going on? How about allying yourself with a company that complements, not contradicts, your philosophies?
As usual, post your comments and questions below for personal responses.+ More from the Staff Blog Archive