This is a deleted scene from the film UNDAUNTED: The Forgotten Giants of the Allegheny Observatory featuring Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. In this scene, astronomer George Gatewood discusses the importance of asteroid tracking. Narrated by David Conrad. Music by Scott Michael Burns. Copyright © 2013 Dan Handley Science Media, LLC.
Official website: UNDAUNTEDtheMovie.com
Follow on Facebook: facebook.com/UNDAUNTEDMOVIE
This is part of the educational materials supplementary to the film, UNDAUNTED; The Forgotten Giants of the Allegheny Observatory, in association with the Senator John Heinz History Center. This is a part of a science activity video series to accompany lesson plans and classroom activities provided free to educators throughout the U.S. These materials were made possible by support from the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation and Fort Pitt Capital Group.
UNDAUNTED: The Forgotten Giants of the Allegheny Observatory tells the remarkable stories of Samuel Pierpont Langley, John and Phoebe Brashear, and James Edward Keeler. Despite catastrophic setbacks and unrelenting hardships, these determined individuals defied the odds to ultimately make world-changing contributions to science and technology. Among the many accomplishments associated with the Allegheny Observatory are the establishment of standard time zones, the founding of astrophysics, major contributions to the invention of aviation, advances in solar research, precision star distance mapping, and discoveries in planetary science.
A film by Dan Handley; William Peduto, Executive Producer; Mark Knobil and Jeff Garton, Directors of Photography; Original Musical Score by Scott Michael Burns.
Features interviews with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History and Dr. Tom Crouch, Senior Curator of Early Aviation at the Smithsonian Institution National Air and Space Museum. Produced in association with the Senator John Heinz History Center. To be released in April, 2012. UNDAUNTEDtheMovie.com.
The original Allegheny Observatory was established in 1859 in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, an industrial city just north of where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio River. A newer, larger Allegheny Observatory was built several miles away atop a hill in Pittsburgh’s Riverview Park between 1900 and 1912. Since 1867, the Allegheny Observatory has been owned and operated as an active research institution by the University of Pittsburgh.