City of Salisbury
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA
September 16, 2014 - 4:00 p.m.
1. Call to order.
2. Invocation to be given by Mayor Pro Tem Blackwell.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Recognition of visitors present.
5. Mayor to proclaim the following observances:
September 17-23, 2014
NATIONAL GOOD NEIGHBOR DAY
September 28, 2014
6. Council to consider the CONSENT AGENDA:
(a) Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting of September 2, 2014.
7. Council to receive a report and hold a public hearing regarding the FY2013-2014 Consolidated Annual Planning and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME programs:
(a) Receive a presentation from staff
(b) Hold a public hearing.
8. Council to consider adopting the Downtown Revitalization Incentive Grant program:
(a) Receive a presentation from staff
(b) Hold a public hearing
(c) Consider adopting the Downtown Revitalization Incentive program.
9. Council to consider issuance of a Special Use Permit for SUP-02-14, West End Plaza, 1935 Jake Alexander Boulevard, West:
(a) Swear in those persons testifying at public hearing
(b) Ex Parte Disclosure
(c) Hold a public hearing – present evidence
(1) Receive testimony from staff
(2) Receive testimony from proponents and opponents
(d) Findings of Fact
(e) Decision – Council to consider issuing a special use permit for West End Plaza, 1935 Jake Alexander Boulevard, West.
10. Council to consider adopting ORDINANCES ordering the Code Services Division Manager to cause the following dwellings to be repaired or vacated and closed and demolished:
(a) 28 Knox Street
(b) 108 West Steele Street
(c) 125 Lloyd Street
(d) 200 Todd Circle
(e) 214 Chestnut Street
(f) 417 Livingston Avenue
(g) 728 North Church Street
(h) 924 South Jackson Street
(i) 926 South Jackson Street
(j) 1216 Grady Street
(k) 1539 West Horah Street
(l) 1621 Bost Street
11. Council to consider adopting a RESOLUTION of support for construction of a sidewalk on the south side of Jake Alexander Boulevard between Rowan Tech Road and Klumac Road.
12. Council to receive an update regarding the redevelopment of Civic Park apartments and the recent award of housing tax credits for Phase 2.
13. Council to consider appointments to various Boards and Commissions.
14. Council to receive public comments.
15. Interim City Manager’s Comments.
16. Mayor’s Announcements.
(a) The new summer Bell Tower Concert Series will be held on the second and third Thursday of each month from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. through October 16, 2014. The next concert will be held Thursday, September 18, 2014. Bring a blanket or chair and enjoy this great time for the whole family. This free event is sponsored by Guitar USA.
(b) The Rowan County Tourism Development Authority will host Kids Night Out in downtown Friday, September 19, 2014 from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
(c) The West End Classic, collaboration between Livingstone College, the City of Salisbury and the West End Community, will be held Saturday, September 20, 2014. The event begins at 10:00 a.m. with a parade from Soldiers Memorial AME Zion Church to Livingstone College. Following the parade there will be a family fun day from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on the Livingstone College front lawn followed by the Livingstone Blue Bears football game at 1:00 p.m.
(d) La Fiesta de Rowan 2014 will be held Saturday, September 27, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. at the Civic Center, 315 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue. The event is a celebration of Hispanic/Latino culture through music, food, dance and much more. The event is sponsored by the Hispanic Coalition, a sub-committee of the Human Relations Council.
(e) The Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department will host the “Brown Bag Lunch Jam” concert series at Gateway Park every Wednesday through October 29, 2014. Entertainment will be from 12:00 noon until 1:30 p.m. Bring a lunch and enjoy some of Salisbury’s best local talent. This event is free and open to the public.