This review was done on my own time for the readers of my blog and the vimeo community. If you feel it has been of use to you feel free to use the new tipjar feature on vimeo! No obigation! All money received goes into making future reviews as they take so much time and resources...for a more detailed explanation please visit my page here: philipbloom.net/2012/09/28/tipjar/
Edit. I have just checked out the just announced micro four thirds version at IBC. Looks great but it's passive so no iris control through the camera. You need a manual lens like the Voigtlanders.
The good news is with a M43 mount you can put on any lens with easily available adaptors for PL, M, Nikon, Canon. C mount (make sure they cover sensor). It's a much more flexible camera lens wise and makes more sense than the EF version here.
This review was done in my own time and WAS not paid for by anyone. It was made for the readers of my blog and the community. For more on my ethics statement please read the top of the above linked blog post.
I've seen tons of plans for these things. Here's mine! This project can be done for under $100 (if you don't screw it up like I did). The audio is horrid, I know. Don't care though! Below is a list of parts you will need, you can figure out what tools to use. I include some footage at the end, using this dolly. If you have a slow computer, or you don't have the most recent copy of flash installed, panning and side motions (hell, any motion) will look like crap! Viewed this video on a computer other than mine & I couldn't watch it. Too damn jerky! And YES, this is "No Budget" compared to what you would pay for a pro setup.
(1) 32" square x 3/4" thick piece of plywood
(8) Soft inline skate wheels
(2) 32" pieces of 1 1/2" angle aluminum (1/8" wall thickness)
(8) 1/4" / 20x2" hex bolts
(8) 1/4" flat washers
(28) 1/4" nuts
(16) 1 1/4" fender washers
(4) 1/4"x2 1/2" carriage bolts
(2) 10' pieces of 1" sch. 40 PVC pipe
(1) 5/16" drill bit
(1) Medium size drill bit (smaller then your 5/16" bit)
(1) Small drill bit (I used a 9/32" bit for my starter holes)