brianpeiris

brianpeiris

Hello all,

Long time lurker here on Vimeo, but when I noticed the little "API" link I thought I'd actually try and contribute something.

I've used used the API with a combination of Flash/Flex and a physics library courtesy of Alec Cove (cove.org/ape/) to create a toy of sorts that displays a user's portrait surrounded by ten of her/his most recent clips.

The size of the clips represent the number of "likes" it's received.
You can drag users around and hover over clips or portraits to display a caption that links to the clip or profile.
Add users by entering their username or profile URL in the text box, you can add multiple users by separating them with a vertical bar, "|".

Here's the link with some of the Vimeo staff ready to view:

brianpeiris.com/vimeo/?users=jakob%7Czach%7Candrew%7Cjonathanmarcus%7Cdalasv

Note:
This will be the first time anyone other than myself is using this, so I'm not sure if it's going to work for everyone, if at all. Also, the toy can be quite processor-intensive, so don't go overboard with the number of users.

I had a lot of fun with the Vimeo API, this toy is still under construction so I look forward to seeing what else I can do with the idea. (Imagine a forest of users linked by their vimeo relationships; subscribers, commenters, likes, contacts etc. I think that would look pretty cool.) I might release the source once I get to a more polished version.

Cheers,

Brian Peiris

Ted Roden

Ted Roden

Holy smokes! This is amazing! Nice work.

Jake Lodwick

Jake Lodwick Alum

I love it. It's nice to visualize my clips from that perspective. I hope you continue developing this.

Desmark

Desmark

Brilliant! Would love to see support for connections from people starring in other videos too, or connections by friends/contacts.
Uni finishes end of may, after that I'm gonna be all over this api :D

islebehere

islebehere PRO

hey, what happened to this? page is gone.

Desmark

Desmark

Yer, and you get control panel at the root :(

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.