History Hangar

History Hangar Plus

Anyone know of a method to remove wind noise from an iphone taken video which over rides voice recorded in an outdoor video. I've tried separating the audio track and selecting remove noise but when I do the removal it also reduces the voice to almost inaudible. This may not be possible but I want to explore all options before I give up. Thanks in advance for your help

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

No filter I know will be able to differentiate between the wind noise and the voice if they are recorded together on the same track. The best you can do is remove the peaks by using a dynamic limiter, a 'pop' filter may help, or manually. A combination of limiter followed by manually reducing the worst remaining peaks is about the best I find, it should make it a little more bearable to listen to. Anything else will remove voice. The voice lost in wind noise is truly lost, unless you want people to sound like the Chipmunks.
Now wait for someone to (hopefully) come in and say there is some special filter for this!

manojmep

manojmep

how can i effectively shoot with my canon 550d came at a sea side

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

Use a decent quality external microphone with a wind muff, preferably a 2 layer type with foam inner and furry outer layers.
Switch on the wind cut filter if the camera has one, or install Magic Lantern, which does.
Where possible shield the microphne from direct wind (body, building, bush etc.)
If the wind is fairly high, a blimp will be necessary. Nothing will stop noise in very high winds.
Try to record any dialogue separately to allow wind filtering in post.
Some work in post is frequently necessary.

RIVchannel

RIVchannel

I am using Apple Soundtrack Pro for removing noise from the video clips. If the noise is not very explicit and totally disrupts voice, done job very well.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.