Shaye Scott

Shaye Scott

Hello,
I just purchased a Canon HF200 and after a long day of shooting on vacation I put my 16GB, 6 class memory card into iMovie 09 only to discover that it would only let me import at "Large 960x540" and "Full-Original size," no selection for "Full- 1920x1080." I know my settings are set at the highest quailty on my camera (At least I believe.. MXP right?). I've searched the web trying to find the answer to this but obiviously no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Harald Walker

Harald Walker

If you recorded in MXP it will be displayed on your camcorder when you playback the clips.
When importing from the camera, iMovie should display two options where it says 'optimize video'. The options are Large (960x540) or Full (Original Size). Why do you think 'original size' is something different than 1920x1080?
I am using iMovie'09 version 8.0.3 with my HF200 (PAL version).

kate59588

kate59588

I did like the Pavtube MTS Converter for MAC, very easy to use with my Mac book pro. I found it by Googling MTS Conversion software.pavtube came up 5th but I could see it was an easy software to use. As a Macintosh lover and user I appreciate Pavtube and I really liked how its trial version provided full access to the functions of the software. It allowed me to test the conversion quality.
pavtube.com/mts-converter-mac/

Harald Walker

Harald Walker

Just import as Full Size and enjoy your vacation clips in full HD.

Shaye Scott

Shaye Scott

Thanks for the help guys. What through me for a loop is that I was reading an tutorial for imovie 09 and it showed an option under importing titled "Full-1920x1080." I assumed that because mine didn't say that, it was importing at something lower like a higher quality 960x540.

Speaking of which, have you found their to be a big difference in quality between importing at "Full" and "Large 960x540"? I compared and couldn't see any difference.

Duncan Birnie

Duncan Birnie

There should be a difference, which would be most noticeable when viewing on a Full HD TV set. If you are only viewing them in iMovie's viewer window, the clips aren't big enough to see the difference.

My advice is always capture at the fullest resolution. If you really need to have smaller video (for SD perhaps), you can always downscale. iMovie capturing at 960x540 would essentially be doing that for you anyway. But stick with 1920 x 1080. :)

Brian Quintos

Brian Quintos

Guys, I noticed ProRes 422(8/10 Bit) as an export in iMovie and I have never really noticed this before. I really don't see a reason to use this because iMovie imports crappyish video anyways. (From an XH A1 by the way) Can anyone tell me how to properly import FULL(if I could underline that I would) High Definition video? By FULL I mean the highest quality 1920x1080 possible in iMovie. I am going to get FCS sooner or later but I need to work with what I got.

Duncan Birnie

Duncan Birnie

There is an option in Preferences to import as full 1080 HD. But I doubt that iMovie will be bothering to do it anyway.

Get FCE as soon as possible while you're saving for FCS.

Brian Quintos

Brian Quintos

GUYS NO! DON'T. I HAVE ACHIEVED VERY HIGH QUALITY (720p HD) VIDEO! THERE IS an option to export 1080 but it doesn't look nice for any web application. Here is the link to the video because it's to large for vimeo and has copyrighted music for youtube:

bit.ly/6XdjNk

I had to make a bit.ly because the HD link is to long...

YOU HAVE TO HAVE QUICKTIME!

IamMartinus

IamMartinus

final cut express supports 24fps...as far as I know 4.0.1 does and you must have the newest quicktime version and snow leopard

Attila Nemeth

Attila Nemeth

You are both right and wrong. Final Cut Express has an open format timeline, so you can drop any (Quicktime compatible) format and ANY frame rate video to the timeline. However your basic export (File>Export>Quicktime Movie) will carry the frame rate of the current Easy setup setting (30 or 25 fps). If you are converting your output (File>Export>Using Quicktime Conversion) you have the full range of setups, including, format, size, frame rate, bitrate, etc that your QT and available components can offer.

So no NATIVE 24p on FCE but it does work.

Wrighto

Wrighto

My 24 p footage looks fine in the canvas for FCE 4.0.1 but I'll be damned if I can find the right settings to make a proper progressive export without blur. Feels like i've tried every combination of codec/bitrate/de-interlacing etc.
It seems pretty useless to have a consumer camera (HFS-10) w/ 24p and high shutter speeds that requires spending 1000$ on FCP to export properly.

Am I missing something? I hope so.

Any suggestions?

Enzo Silva

Enzo Silva

I have 2 questions for you experts. :)

I have a Canon Vixia HF20.

1. When I import into iMovie 09, is ALL the quality of the video preserved? Or do I lose the AVCHD quality when importing? (Why I ask? I import every clip at Original Size and STILL keep a backup of the AVCHD original folder on a hard drive... that takes up a lot of room... so, I wonder if I REALLY need to keep the originals or if the iMovie Library is keeping clips at the same quality as the AVCHD originals).

2. Should I tape 1080p or 1080i? I've been taping 1080p (which on the vixia, 1080i is 60fps and the 1080p is 30fps)...
Which one is the best quality? I've been taping in the 18080p mode even though it isn't the 60fps...

Thank you for your advice...

Michael Wisniewski

Michael Wisniewski Plus

When you import in iMovie the video is always re-compressed using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). The AIC is a decent intermediate codec for editing and works fairly well for everyday cuts & transitions, but it's very weak if you need to do any serious color correction. Import at the 'Full Size' for the best results. Once you've transcoded to AIC you've lost some information, so it's best to backup the original AVCHD files & folder structure as your 'originals'.

iMovie 09 can edit other codecs but you must physically copy the video files into the iMovie Events folder and let iMovie process the files into it's database. Capture & transcode the video in a separate program like MPEG Streamclip, Cineform NeoScene, of Final Cut Pro.

One of my current workflows is to capture using Final Cut Pro directly into an iMovie Events folder. Then startup iMovie for the rough cut, when I'm done I export to Final Cut using XML.

JC Ninja

JC Ninja

I have just obtained a JVC GZ-HD620 and have it set to 1920x1080p. I emphasize the 'p' as I wanted a progressive HD camcorder for tidier editing.

I have FCE 4.0 and iMovie 7.1.4 and I am using iMovie to import, however, the maximum option available is 1080i. How do I change this?

I downloaded MPEG Streamclip (free version) but cannot figure out to capture the MTS files.

Help please :)

Wrighto

Wrighto

My 24 p footage looks fine in the canvas for FCE 4.0.1 but I'll be damned if I can find the right settings to make a proper progressive export without blur. Feels like i've tried every combination of codec/bitrate/de-interlacing etc.
It seems pretty useless to have a consumer camera (HFS-10) w/ 24p and high shutter speeds that requires spending 1000$ on FCP to export properly.

Am I missing something? I hope so.

Any suggestions?

stokes mellish

stokes mellish

hi there i also seem to be having this problem .... i know this is a night video but as you can see after editing in imovie and exporting in full hd it still doesn't come out crisp crisp hd like the material is before editing...
pls can someone help vimeo.com/13997831

salome

salome

I also have Canon Vixia HF200, and my iMovie can't see it.

Any toughts how can I import videos?

healthybaby

healthybaby

i know a step by step guide on how to import avchd to imovie at bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-import-avchd-to-imovie.html
This guide is applied for:

Import AVCHD files in MTS to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in M2TS to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in MPG under MPEG-2 compression to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in MOV with MJPEG video format to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in DV to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in MOD to iMovie
Import AVCHD files in TOD to iMovie
Import 1080/60p video from Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder, Panasonic HDC-SD9/HDC-HS9, Panasonic AG-HMC150, Canon HF S21, Sony HDR-AX2000, Sony HXR-NX5U and more
Import AVCHD to iMovie for iPhone, iPhone 4, iMovie iPad, iMovie iPad 2, iMovie iPod touch
Import AVCHD to Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express

ZaQ Wilcox

ZaQ Wilcox

...Or you could just use toast. Toast seems to solve all of my problems!

Matthew McNeilly

Matthew McNeilly

Will the importing from a GoPro HD into imovie 11 be any different? when i choose full it warns me that "selecting full on this computer may result in degraded video playback". Please help.

Assia

Assia

I have the same problem. After watching some tutorials here on Vimeo and from this thread I understand it is best to import from the camera into editing program in full size, but I get the same warning as described by Matthew, in iMovie 09: "selecting full on this computer may result in degraded video playback".
I capture with a Canon Legria HF R17 and work with iMovie 09 on a Mac OS X version 10.7.5.

Does anyone have suggestions for a nice workflow to capture the best image quality, import to imovie 09 (or should I use another program that works better with my cam and Mac?) without quality loss and export before uploading to Vimeo with the best quality and smallest size?

Thanks a lot!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.