4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Using Windows 7 on a LAN or WLAN network may have serious security implications: user documents, including VIDEOS, might be seen, opened and modified by another pc (including a XP system) on the network (and beyond?) if one relies on the default "Share with > Nobody" settings.

I set up a network and found it very difficult to prevent private user documents from being opened by another machine (in this case XP) on the network. Eventually (phew!) I discovered that it was necessary to right click on the Windows 7 C:\Users folder and make advanced settings from there. Now after resetting the permissions only the Public Folder can be seen and opened on the network (and possibly by an intruder, especially if only WEP wireless encryption is used.)

Anybody with a single machine connected to a router via an ethernet cable or via wireless may not be aware that their private documents including VIDEOS may in fact be Public on the network.

2cpus4me

2cpus4me

Is this confirmed?

Are you talking about the RTM? My user folder is padlocked and not shared with anybody but Admins. There's no guest access or other access to the files. Default "Share with Nobody"... I've never seen or heard of that. Did you enable homegroups or something?

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

May not be with every installation of Windows 7 but it is worth checking...

Right click on user folders from the libraries, i.e. documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads and you will see "Share with > (padlock icon) Nobody" this is the setting for a User/Administrator who does not wish to share those folders in any way. But it does not stop those folders from being shared on the LAN - they are in effect Public (shared) folders and this is the bug.

I tried using a homegroup but that supposedly only allows other Windows 7 pc's onto the LAN with a password and the folders can be secured in the setup, but the XP pc could still see the private user folders, open, modify and even copy them. btw the router didn't like that either!

Best setup was work group and the advanced settings that I mentioned before: the user folders are secure, the users folders can be secure or Public (shared) and now the router is happy.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.