Patrick Fager

Patrick Fager

I shoot still pictures with a Canon 30D, and I am looking to purchase a good video camera. I plan on shooting nature and short films. I know about photography, so my question is more technical. With a Canon HV-30 or 40 what is the process to make an HD widescreen DVD to play on a SD television? Or is this possible? I have read that only Blu-ray discs can do this? Is that true? Thanks for your help!

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Well,

If we are to help you, you first need to get some basics straight.

1. If you have an SD television, you will never, ever see HD on it. Period. It can show normal 4:3 SD, it can show 16:9 widescreen SD, it can even show 2.40 anamorphic widescreen TV. But it will never, ever show HD.

2. If you have an HDTV you can show the same SD signals as an SDTV, and you can show HDTV signals. To show HD signals coming off a disc format, you are most likely going to need Blu-Ray. There are some possible ways to place HD signals onto a regular DVD, and play then IN A Blu-Ray player to an HDTV. This made sense when Blu-Ray disks were $40, but you can get 25GB Blu-Ray discs for $2.50 these days.

So, except in rare cases, there is no such thing as a HD Widescreen DVD. If you have an HD camera, and you need to play that back to an SDTV, you are going to be converting that HD footage to SD, and making a regular DVD from it.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.