George Bixby

George Bixby

Hi,

I need to make a change to a video I made a while back, for which I no longer have access to the original FCP files. I know this won't give me the ideal quality, but I tried to download the mp4 from my Vimeo video page, with the plan of importing back into Final Cut Pro to make the edit. However, whenever I try to import I'm getting "general error" and it's not importing.

I tried using the program "mpeg streamclip" to re-export it to a different file format, and I'm able to open it but not able to export it for some reason- I keep getting error messages. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can go about editing the mp4 video in FCP? Is there some sort of block attached to the files you can download from Vimeo?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tamzin

Tamzin Plus

I had same problem as you, I tried every damn trick in the book, can't get the Vimeo files to play ball properly, can't save them with sound, or can't save them with image lol

I think they did something to their codec on purpose to stop people editing files taken off here or something? God knows, but I wish I knew how to convert the damn things into something that will work in an editor without freaking it out! If you find out please do let me know :-)
/beg

(by messaging me ideally or I might not notice you replied)

Podozoo production

Podozoo production

hey yo!
You can import Vimeo MP4 at iMovie which can be handled as MOV so it could be editable in FCP

Koen Boesman

Koen Boesman

It's a long way, and there is probably a better one, but I got there by

1. converting the files to mp4 (again) with Handbrake
2. importing the files in iMovie, exporting again
3. opening in FCP

blue apples media

blue apples media

re: Koen Boesman's solution. Just tried it. It works. I too have tried every other trick I know. This is a workable solution. Thanks!

Cartilage Inc.

Cartilage Inc. PRO

I tried Koen Boesman's tip as well but instead of going to iMovie after passing it through Handbrake, I just put it through MPEG Streamclip.

Worked a dream. :)

Ravi Amaratunga

Ravi Amaratunga

This works an absolute treat - thanks so much for the tip!

luckyemily

luckyemily

As we know, Final Cut Pro is a non-linear and non-destructive editing software application, it can only import non-destructive video format including DV, HDV, P2 MXF (DVCProHD), XDCAM, and 2K film formats. Nevertheless, the widely used MP4 is lossy format, which is a final delivery file type and is heavily compressed. In order to successfully import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, we have to convert the lossy MP4 to non-destructive format like DV which is compatible with FCP.

Detailed Guide on How to Convert and Import MP4 to FCP/FCE at bigasoft.com/articles/convert-mp4-to-dv-to-import-to-fcp.html

hope it helps more or less

UKfilmNet

UKfilmNet Plus

By the way a far simpler solution is

1. Drag the file into Compressor (comes with FCP - at least the version before the Final Cut for ToyzRuz version)
2. Drag the Quicktime Movie Pro Res 422 on top
3. Click submit
4. Go have a Duff beer

(it works - just checked again)

UKfilmNet

UKfilmNet Plus

(I suggest Pro Res as thats what I edit everything in - until I switch shortly to Avid Media Composer, thanks to Apple turning a pro app into a plaything)

Justine Peña

Justine Peña

Re: Cartilage Inc. - you converted the mp4 vimeo in mpeg streamclip to mp4 again? then after you went to imovie? Or did you try converting to another format on streamclip? whenever i convert, the video just gets really small and completely lose the sound and image. how can i fix this?

mebCINEMA

mebCINEMA PRO

iMovie isn't working. Compressor isn't working. FCP7 isn't working. MPEG Streamclip isn't working. Nothing will open these files. Any other ideas?

Abijit Vivek

Abijit Vivek

compressor saved the day for me. thanks!

kelly456

kelly456

It is dead easy to import MP4 into Final Cut Pro for editing once you have Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac. It applies to MP4 recorded from various camcorders like Samsung HMX-H100 camcorder, Sanyo XACTO HD1000 Full HD camera, Flip camcorder, JVC GY-HM100, JVC GY-HM700 and more. It applies to MP4 from media players, mobile phones, portable devices and YouTube etc. It also applies to import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, FCE and iMovie.

pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/

You can have a try.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.