Vasilis Pazionis

Vasilis Pazionis

Hey guys,

has any of you been using any of the aiptek pocket camera's? Im really curious as to which one is the best, video quality wise! Just want a little cam i can carry around so i can film anything that interests me on a daily basis.

Thanks

Billy.

bluedog

bluedog

I tell you what, save your money and get a digital still that can take video. I tried one and returned it after a few tries. Most of them don't have a FOCUS ability. You have a setting for macro (about 4-8 inches) and then infinity. Its not a solid construction by my standards and really doesn't do any of its features well.

That's my personal opinion. As a matter of fact, here's one of the three shots I took with the cam before returning it as defective for poor quality.

vimeo.com/212969

This was after downscaling it to vimeo's size, and it still looked blurry.

Its the bottom of the quality at all levels, unless someone else wishes to chime with any other opinions. I was thinking about giving it to my niece and thought it would simply be frustration for her in using it.

I haven't tried their newer HD model, but would be wary of it after my first experience.

Vasilis Pazionis

Vasilis Pazionis

thanks alot dude, i'll take your advice and just leave it! WHat camera's do you usually use then?

bluedog

bluedog

Well, I have an older CanonZR40 or 45. Its an older miniDV which is ok considering its age. You can get a miniDV camcorder for about $250 retail.

If you are doing smaller clips the digital still cameras can capture pretty good video (but I'll defer to someone else on advice on which models). The ads here are for mostly the sony models priced about $300 and up.

Just look for the features you really want in taking video. When I got my camera I wanted the miniDV and firewire for bringing in the DV stream from tape. Most of the still cameras that grab video use a compressed file (which will mean a minor loss when you reencode it in your final edits). For most people its not an issue and I have used my Olympus 5500 and its video capture, but it only captures 15 frames/sec on the 640x480 setting and 30 frames/sec at 320x200 resolutions. Again, when we bought the camera it was about the best available at its pricepoint.

Today's models are much better in focusing and framerate and lighting.

From people's experience and the sample videos I've seen from the Canon HV20 I'm inclined to get that as my next camera. Its pricey at about $1000 now. Hopefully the prices on HD will come down by the end of the year.

There are a lot of threads on different cameras here, take a read and see what matches your needs.

bluedog

bluedog

e1fun may have a point. For some people, the Aiptek's may suffice for their needs. I may have made an assumption that vimeo users wish for something with a little more capabilities, but realize some may not be able to afford the newest, best, most capable.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.