Benjamin Oppermann

Benjamin Oppermann

Hello,
i'm very new to recording videos, and (don't make fun of me, please) I do it with my phone camera, basically because it's always handy, so when I see something interesting I'd like to record, I never have to worry about having my camera with me! It's a Nokia N900, it records video in .mp4, 848x480 pixels, aac audio, so the output seems to be meeting Vimeo recommendations for uploaded material.
I don't really have any artistic demands about my recordings, I'd just love to share them with some friends and family without requiring them to download huge files or register to a service.
However, my videos look rather bad on Vimeo: there's a lot of ugly pixels (not present in the original files) when panning the camera or when something moves, as you can see here: vimeo.com/10704566
The password for this one is "bennsn"
Any suggestions how I can get decent results for my online videos? All helpful comments are much appreciated!
Thanks again, Ben

Link: vimeo.com/10704566

Waqas Nasir

Waqas Nasir

I am not any company's employee , nor doing any marketing but my brother gifted me a HD camera with the name of "FLIP MINO HD", its so small , like a mobile phone, captures HD video by just a button . So simple interface, direct video uploading options and immediate playback.
I am not sure of the price but it was very cheap .. around 200 dollars approx.
You can buy it, You will get marvelous video results .
Trust me, I am personally using it and i love its simplicity , cheap price and extra ordinary results with just a click of button.

Benjamin Oppermann

Benjamin Oppermann

thanks for the hint, but i'm actually quite happy with the results i get from my phone camera, i'm just disappointed about how they look after uploading them to Vimeo (and other video services as well - the only good-looking results were on Youtube, which doesn't allow sharing private videos with people who don't have an account).
The original files look just fine, and I wonder how I might transcode them so they look just as good in Flash.

Mike Meier

Mike Meier

Did you look at the guidelines given in the Vimeo Basics section? There is a page there describing the compression guidelines for HD uploads.

Link: vimeo.com/help/compression

Benjamin Oppermann

Benjamin Oppermann

Yes, i read that page before I posted my question. I didn't realize 848x480 was HD. Like I said, my uploads meet all the guidelines, only the bitrate I'm not sure about.
Any suggestions for a good FREE editing software that could help me
1.) make sure about all the specs of my videos
2.) make adjustments?
Thanks, Ben

Boolsheet

Boolsheet

Older versions of FFmpeg (An open source media decoding and encoding project) apparently have problems with your video stream. It's probably the decoder on the Vimeo servers that decodes the stream incorrectly. They do update it regulalry, but of course it's always risky to push a project in development on to a live environment, so it may take longer.

You'll have to reencode your videos to get them correctly decoded.
To get a basic idea of the content of video files you can use MediaInfo ( mediainfo.sourceforge.net/ ).
There are tons of free applications to reencode Video, most of them use FFmpeg (you might see the same error like on Vimeo). Maybe someone else can recommend you something, I mostly use the command line version of FFmpeg.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.