Giorgio Betteto

Giorgio Betteto

I'm doing some video of rugby matches , and found severe limitations on the consumer camcorders that I used - Canon miniDV , Sanyo TH1 and Canon HG20 have all problems with autofocus and low light (sanyo the worst) or limited zoom .none of those and no one low cost have a usable manual focus
A "proper" camcorder like an XM2 is out of reach (1500€ used...) so i'm thinking in a DSLR like the 550 with a "manual" focus + zoom 200/300 mm lens could be' an answer , filming in 720p and NOT having Avchd (that I hate)
I think that shouldn't be' very different in function like the old Canon Scopic 16mm with I started...
Any objection or advice?

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Well, it will solve the light issue provided you purchase a zoom with constant F2.8 aperture. However, that camera body, plus a F2.8 zoom will put it out of your price range. How are you planning to get audio to it? Then there is the matter that is uses the same compression scheme as AVCHD but at a higher bitrate. There's also the matter of trying to focus a long lens with a wide open aperture. I sure wouldn't want to try it with a sport like Rugby.

So I am not quite sure what you're really after. Sounds like you want/need a professional camcorder, but can't afford one. No easy solutions there.

Giorgio Betteto

Giorgio Betteto

As I said, actually I'm working with camcorders that have a 4.3 -4.5 F at Tele (95% of time) but with low light they have a strong noise appearing.
I'm hoping that a 550 bigger CMOS , even with a F4 lens will work better, and solve the focus problem .
Sound is not important and often is directlly discarded in post production.

dinomag

dinomag

I have the same Canon D550 with Tamron 2,8 17-50 mm and I want to make some movies in Full High Definition. But it takes me 8 giga per about 10 minutes. For internet it's too much. Have You any idea which programme can low 8 giga to 800 mega for example to have FHD in avi. Oryginal is in mov. I have Ulead VideoStudio 10 and Any Video Converter but I don't like them. I don' t want to lose higher quality.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

The video from the 550D (and the 7D and the 5D) is very highly compressed. So you have two choices (for free).

1. Keep the high quality and increase file size.
2. Decrease the file size and lower the quality.

If you are willing to spend money, there are two other choices.

3. Purchase Cineform NeoScene for $129 and convert to AVI. This uses wavelet compression which is slightly more efficient than the H.264 used in the Canon cameras. So it's going to be around the same size or slightly smaller with the similar quality.

4. Purchase another wavelet codec encoder that works inside the AVI container that you can control. This lets you make smaller file sizes with similar quality.

If you are only concerned with good uploads to the internet, then you can simply render to an mpeg4/AVC file or a Windows Media File (WMV) with about 4-8Mbps as the bit rate selection, and your online files will look very nice.

Copenhagen

Copenhagen

I use the 550D with canon 24-105 (f.4) - Tamron 28-75 (f.2.8) and Canon 70-200 (f.2.8)

-I take my shots in mpeg streamclip "free sw" and convert to AppleProRes 422 (LT)

-Edit in FC Pro

-Export from Compressor

* Works fantastic and delivers amazing quality and the ProRes is so fast to edit.

...Cheers´

lukutasi

lukutasi

I agree - MPEG Streamclip is the best free compression software i have worked with. Cleaner from Discreet is great too, but it costs money...

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.