Frank Desiront

Frank Desiront Plus

hey there

could someone please tell me, why i get this flickering while filming in low-light conditions ??

i uploaded a test video, in which one i mentioned the shutter speed
change

youtube.com/watch?v=_3DumNPoVQc&hd=1

here's another test video...it looks almost fine...
except for the slow-motion scene with the cars on the road
horrible flickering again ! (even in realtime, shutter 1/60)

youtube.com/watch?v=MO8fCefPm-s&hd=1

thanks a lot for helping!

cheers

frank

Frank Desiront

Frank Desiront Plus

thanks for your reply...

but i was filming with ntsc mode
and your file mentions that there's no flickering with 40 an 60 filming speed...

however it does in my test movie

would anyone know which ligh-bulbs cause the flickering?

any tips how to avoid the flickering?

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Were you filming in 24p?

Regardless of what the documentation says, your issue is light flickering due to sampling rate/shutter speed. Higher end cameras have precise shutter adjustments to get around this issue. The DSLRs do not.

You are also filming under a non-traditional light source. Those tables were devised for flim/movie lighting, not streetlamps on the sidewalk.

Best bet is to do your testing, and choose a rate that doesn't flicker. When doing this manner of cinema verite, that really just comes with the territory.

Benjamin Maier

Benjamin Maier

Hi guys, i have a similar problem. I wanna do some videos on high speed shutter with artificial light, but if i go higher than 1/100 there are appearing darker and brighter lines on the image. I shoot with 50hz light on 720 50p. Till 1/100 the image is good and clean, from 1/125 up its unusable. You know something about?

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Same thing I told the last poster. You need to find flicker-free shutter speeds.

What kind of light source do you have and what camera?

Benjamin Maier

Benjamin Maier

I use a 7d and both, tungsten and hmi lights. And it doesn't exist a flicker free shutter. You only have shutter speeds that are better or badder, but no one without flickering. I'm asking me about why this happens with canon and not with a prosumer camera like panasonic hvx 200 and why it doesn't exist a real solution.

Benjamin Maier

Benjamin Maier

I mean theoretically if you have 50hz light, you shoulnd't have problems with shutter speeds multiple of 50, but you have

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Because neither the shutter speed, nor the electricity is EXACTLY 50Hz. And those small differences are why you see the problems.

A video camera has the ability to adjust the shutter speed properly to flicker-free rates, and many come with a shutter already properly adjusted. DSLRs don't.

These are NOT video cameras. They are still camera with a video record feature. They are missing MANY features of a real video camera.

Justin Gum

Justin Gum Plus

Is there a possibility that a firmware update may resolve this issue or is this simply a hardware limitation that can't be fixed?

Article19

Article19 Plus

it's not a camera problem it's a physics problem, if the light is flickering, turn it off and use another light.

Justin Gum

Justin Gum Plus

that's not what it seems to be based on the conversation. From what I've read from this discussion, it's the camera that cannot adjust the shutter speed to flicker-free rates.

So if the camera can be adjusted somehow to flicker-free rates, that could alleviate the problem. Your solution didn't really address my question at all. Even if I did use another light, the same effect would occur.

Article19

Article19 Plus

Several video cameras have a frame synch option to avoid flickering issues with lights and video screens DSLR's don't have that. Sans a firmware update to add the option (which I'm not sure is technically possible with a CMOS sensor) then you have to change the light (LED Panels, Red Head, etc). It's a far more practical solution than hoping Canon or Nikon issue an update which, as mentioned, may be technically impossible.

ali.zigeli

ali.zigeli

if this is such a huge problem ,as you're making it, than how are all those amazing short movies and music videos made on all those 7Ds,60Ds, and 5D M IIs ?

Tracy Landon

Tracy Landon

For people on a low budget this doesn't seem to be the case, but for professionals who've been around in the industry a while, having a camera with an insanely high sensitivity doesn't excuse you from lighting things up. You can't just use available lighting, you need to augment and sculpt it. That's probably half of what cinematography is.

ali.zigeli

ali.zigeli

Using other lighting? That is self-evident. But what when it comes to filming in a night-club, i.e A music video ?

Beyond Measure

Beyond Measure Plus

Drop your shutter speed. Should solve the problem. We experience light flicker at 1/50th. Drop the shutter to 1/30th and it eliminates the problem

Filip

Filip

yeah but the interesting thing is that all professionals say you should use 1/50 for 24fps that's suppose to be the golden rule and not to be broken. Problem is this flickering is so annoying I am not sure what to do about it ... footage is unusable...

a Nelson Production

a Nelson Production Plus

I find myself using the right shutter speed for each situation. Though I try to shoot at 1/80th as much as possible. Some situations are unavoidable and I have to modify my shutter speed due to the cheap flickering lights in the cameras field of view. From there depending on budget I will fill the rest of the scene in with my lights. As video lights will not flicker no mater what setting you are on (hence the reason they are expensive). Flickering is not a canon issue it is a issue between you and the lights i your set. You can also buy more expensive light bulbs and replace lights that will be in your scene with a bit more wattage as well and color temp. That is what I do. been shooting professional on 5D/ 7D ever since they came out. Good luck!

FISH PRODUCTIONS

FISH PRODUCTIONS

hi! do somebody knows how to reduce flickering caused by clubs white flash lights?
thanks!

marc planas

marc planas Plus

Somebody knows if there is any way to fix it on post?

Ole C. Salomonsen

Ole C. Salomonsen Plus

I have the same issue when filming at night, stars are flickering. I am filming in 1080 24p. I understand you have to choose the right shutter, but I can not. I have to shoot with as low framerate (shutter) as possible to get best possible exposure without pushing the ISO too much. Is there a way to fix this somewhat in post processing? I am using Adobe Premiere/After Effects.

Brian Galford

Brian Galford Plus

I echo what Beyond Measure andNelson Production said. First of all, throw away the "you should use 1/50 for 24fps that's suppose to be the golden rule and not to be broken" business. That's nice when you have total control of the lights, or are shooting in sunlight, but it is not absolutely necessary to get good looking video. You want to shoot at a frame rate that's lower than the electrical cycles, for example 1/30, 1/40 should give you relatively flicker free video in most situations, whether in America or PAL countries.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.