iamshaun

iamshaun Plus

I haven't been able to find much about this online so I figured I'd post it here. Since the iPad2 accepts HDMI, is it possible one could use this as a field monitor when shooting with an HDSLR such as the 5DMII or 7D? I realize that they both have Mini HDIM ports, so what if the two were connected with one of these?

radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4395160

Hassan Pitts

Hassan Pitts Plus

it should work but you might need a gender changer or "extender" in order to connect the two- both female ports are mini's?

iamshaun

iamshaun Plus

Damn! I want to know now before I go and buy one!

Wes Eastin

Wes Eastin

Teradek.com/cube that seems to be one of the best options so far. Just because somethings video out doesn't mean there's not a way though. Let's give it a couple of months

Article19

Article19 Plus

that's a $2,000 bit of kit, you might as well buy a small marshall monitor or one of a dozen others and an hdmi cable.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Bingo. But some people are more interested in cool, than function.

Wes Eastin

Wes Eastin

Lol. Well I was just showing you the only option I've found so far that turns an iPad into a monitor.

Like I said, we'll have to wait for someone to figure it out. Video out doesn't necessarily mean video out forever further down the road, though you will prob. have to jailbreak the thing to do it. There are turnarounds and adapters. All we need is an app to look for an input signal with the proper codec to transcode whatever signal we're sending in.

And besides, if you have a $500 + toy and you wish you had a video monitor instead then maybe you shouldn't be buying 500 dollar toilet readers. Honestly, there are a couple of decent uses for the iPad *mine's a comic reader/storyboard maker* but if you're a video professional and want production gear then maybe you should put money towards something more useful and practical.

No judgments here. I want the damn thing to work as much as you, but sadly the Teradek Cube is the only thing I've found so far that can do the trick.

Wes Eastin

Wes Eastin

@Perrone Ford Oh, and how is that box style over substance? It does the job when nothing else has. It's kind of cool too, can't deny that. If you know of a better way to, with the item you specify, connect an iPad to a DSLR then please tell us.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

I wasn't talking about the Cube. I was talking about the iPad.

Nate Weber

Nate Weber Plus

it is software restricted to video out only, same as original iPad. There was rumor on jailbreak community of creating a jailbreak app that allows video in, but haven't heard any updates on that.

Gurilla

Gurilla

Are there any updates on this ?... i just really wanna connect my Canon 7D to my iPad2 and use it as a monitor and also use the ipad as "memory" and record straight on to it and use it as storage for the footage :)

Please bring me good news and save my life with a "Yes" answer :D

Article19

Article19 Plus

The specs are the same, video out only, I think the technical hurdles of building a break out box (and possibly hacking the iPads firmware) may not be a terribly costs effective or elegant solution for using it as a monitor.

Nathan Jongewaard

Nathan Jongewaard Plus

I would love to see a way to do this. I love my iPad 2 for a lot of reasons, but field monitor functionality would just be a killer use. Actually, just being able to play 1080p24 files I copy over from my 7D would be sweet - because at least I could review footage in the field on a nice screen. (Alas, while I can use the camera adapter to pull in stills from my 7D - which is cool, too - the iPad spec only goes up to 720p for video so the higher-rez videos simply won't play.)

Nathan Jongewaard

Nathan Jongewaard Plus

As a matter of fact, as I've just verified, none of the video modes of the 7D produces a video playable on iPad2.

Izaca Productions LLC

Izaca Productions LLC Plus

Any updates on this? Would love to use the ipad2 as a field monitor for documentary shooting!

marcus listone

marcus listone

if you want to view the pics while not actually shooting but still in the field, store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE
this way uses the sd card to view photos taken, extremely convientent. when the shoot is over or your taking a break you can use it to breeze over the fotos by self or with client, xport to ipad to gain space in emergencies too.

Joanes Prosper

Joanes Prosper Plus

Unless you try jailbreking the iPad as mentioned above, it's no there yet.

Simon Potter

Simon Potter Plus

It's a real shame, because when you can look past the knee jerk "iPad is a toy for posers" mentality evidenced above, the iPad would actually be a far superior solution, in MANY ways.

The resolution on the screen is much much larger than any field monitors of comparable size, certainly of comparable price. A quick browse of B&H shows that the ones in the same price range as the iPad, are only 1024x600 resolution. The iPad 3's retina display of 2048x1536 is no comparison. Not to mention it's 11 inches diagonally, field monitors top off at around 9". And the iPad is lighter. And then you get all the additional functionality of the iPad, which has been dismissed above as a toilet reader, but anyone who stops to actually think about it realizes how absurd and myopic that statement is, given its built in connectivity, and all the software available for it. The iPad is quite a capable little computer. You could shoot your video/stills, using the iPad to frame the shots, then use it to compress samples and send off the images to your clients, for example.

So again, it's a real shame that this tool can't be deployed in this fashion. All the blame rests at Apple's feet, since they have intentionally and deliberately crippled the device to prevent it from displaying hardwired video input. The only way in is via the internet. Dumb. Yet the Nikon D4 now offers an iPad app, so don't worry, we're not the only ones who see this idea as overdue.

In the meantime the closest best solution is to use a small laptop, there's a pretty wide array of applications that work with many different DSLRs for both video and still image preview, remote control, focus, capture, review, etc. But not as elegant and efficient as using an iPad would be, for sure.

Maybe if enough people pester Apple about it, they will open the iPad to video input. There's no technical reason not to from what I understand. It's probably some stupid short sighted marketing/business related decision.

Ken Brooks

Ken Brooks Plus

I completely agree, Simon! Even if the iPad isn't used for anything else film-related, I'd love to see it as a field monitor. Marshal monitors are over $900 and only have 800x480 resolution... not even high enough for 720P output on a 7D. With all the cool stuff MagicLantern can do within Canon's firmware, I'm sure someone could write an app for the iPad that would support zebras, false color, peaking, vectorscopes, etc. Plus the iPad form factor would be great... very light and an integrated battery. I should think the potential market for this would be huge.

Kane See

Kane See

This doesn't address the elegance of the solution everyone is hoping for, but you can probably hook up your camera to your laptop via the camera's software. This software often lets you do live view and control the camera functions (e.g. focus). Then the second step is just remotely connecting your iPad to your computer using an app like AirDisplay.

You still need a clunky computer in the middle so this is not optimal for traveling, but might serve some purpose in the studio.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.