Thumb Films

Thumb Films

Hi

Is there any actual difference in anyway between using 24fps on either NTSC or PAL settings on the 7D?

The reason i ask is because i want to set up my own user setting on C1 for example so i can quickly switch to 60fps, for slow motion footage. I live in England, so would usually have my camera set to PAL, but since i dont want to shoot in 25fps, and will more often want to shoot for slow motion, is there any reason not to have it set to NTSC all the time?

Any difference between the NTSC and PAL versions of 24fps?

Thanks people!

Article19

Article19 Plus

no because your going to conform it to 25fps anyway through cinema tools.

Thumb Films

Thumb Films

No, im not.

So if i shot a scene in NTSC 24fps, and then one in PAL 24fps and hypothetically they were exactly the same scene and length etc - would they be IDENTICAL? Same file size, pixels, colour etc?

Article19

Article19 Plus

well whatever frame rate you're going to conform to it doesn't matter, 1920x1080 is just that. NTSC is probably not the right way for them to describe the format since NTSC SD had a different frame size as well as different frame rates which is not the case in HD.

If all of this is for online use anyway then not of it matters, it's just an aesthetic difference and a tiny almost unnoticeable one at that between 24p and 25p.

Thumb Films

Thumb Films

I know the difference between 24 and 25 - and yeh not much

The question is as above - ANY difference AT ALL between having the camera set to 24fps on NTSC or PAL?

Same file size, pixels, colour etc?

Article19

Article19 Plus

?!!?!?!?!?!? NO!! maybe I could put that on a giant banner and tow it behind a plane!!

Thumb Films

Thumb Films

Well show me where u answered - u just kept talking about the diff between 24 and 25, and other things i asked nothing about.

U literally did not answer the simple question i asked.

Article19

Article19 Plus

"well whatever frame rate you're going to conform to it doesn't matter, 1920x1080 is just that"

to say nothing of the fact that the frame sizes are on your 7D's menu system.

Thumb Films

Thumb Films

Very reasonable question to ask - otherwise the option would not exist to switch between the two.

I know about dimensions, frame rates and their uses etc, and that is why I didn't ask anything about them.

Pretty simple really - and not answered properly.

Thanks anyway

Article19

Article19 Plus

clearly you don't otherwise you wouldn't be asking....... as my Swedish friend would say, Bah™

Flight Night Samoa

Flight Night Samoa Plus

Article doesn't know the answer cause he doesn't have one.... maybe this will help.... dumbass, is there any difference between 24p NTSC and 24p PAL?

Thumb Films

Thumb Films

Ha. What an annoying person you are!

Yes my friend, I do know perfectly, but obviously since you are clearly not intelligent enough to understand how ridiculous you are being over and over again let's end it here.

Obviously u did not understand the question - perhaps because you yourself don't know much about it? Obviously that must be it.

Next time someone asks me about what kind of dog to buy I'll tell them all about cats and see if I get as far in life as u seem to think you have, by acting like a complete ignorant idiot.

Thankyou and goodnight, my regards to your Swedish friend, but perhaps you could spend more time with English friends and then u might understand english sentences and their meanings better.

sara

sara

i want to know exactly same thing ....been searching for the answer for long ...if u get it plz let me know

Pink Thinking

Pink Thinking

In the 7D the PAL And NTSC refer only to the relevant frame rates, ie PAL 25 & 50, NTSC 30 & 60. Image size is irrelevant until you get down to SD.

In both settings, 24fps has a frame size of 1920x1080 so the answer is NO, there is no difference.

Within the system PAL and NTSC refers only to the frame rates and is not a true indication of the video standard.

Some technophobe broadcast engineer could explain it better I imagine.

Tracy Landon

Tracy Landon

Wait a minute, when the hell did 24P ever exist in PAL land??? And why has Canon put a so-called "PAL 24P" setting on this camera? That alone sounds suspect to me, but hey, I don't own a 7D or any DSLR so they could have indeed implemented that for whatever reason.

To the OP - questions like this can be answered by going out and pressing the little red button. Is there a reason you can't test it out to see if there's any difference?

David Owens

David Owens

Both Canon and Nikon support a 1920x1080p PAL 24 fps, but I thought PAL should be 25 fps. Will this cause any problems outputting to TV or making a DVD?

Robert Stearns

Robert Stearns

To my knowledge, PAL only exists in 25p. On my 60D when I switch to PAL my frame rate options are 25p or 50p, when switched to NTSC I get 24p or 60p. I am not sure where people are getting PAL 24p from.

Flight Night Samoa

Flight Night Samoa Plus

on my 7D it shows a 24p Pal. Which confused me. Would it be able to play on TV?

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

hmm 24p pal i would think it wouldnt show on a american tv. or in our dvd players. does the 7d have a 24fps pal mode and a 25fps mode or just the 24fps. if so they may have it just saying 24fps and u have to change it later to the 25fps inside of your editor. thats what i would think. I have access to a 7d ill look into this.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

i also taught pal had more information as in dimensions

Neil Cairns

Neil Cairns

There are 4 modes in PAL - 1920x1080 25fps, 24pfs, and 720 and 640x480 at 50fps.

What i can not understand is why there are 2 PAL settings for 24 and 25 fps - whats the point??

Silkworm Productions

Silkworm Productions

Just to be clear- the encoding and colour space are the same whether you choose the PAL or NTSC setting on a Canon DSLR so the only difference is frame rate. That said, I don't know why they bother creating a separate setting as they could have frame rate option under the same list.

It seems logical that they separate them just so that Old School folk feel more comfortable with it. For myself, coming from the world of SD it was massively confusing to see an NTSC option at all because whatever you use, (I think I'm, right in saying) the chip set will record the colour at 4:2:0 (as per PAL), whether you select PAL or NTSC, so it is again, rather superfluous to create a separate setting.

Goodlove Pictures

Goodlove Pictures Plus

So let me get this straight, I shoot everything at 24fps PAL because I live in Australia, if I want slow motion I shoot at 50fps and conform to 48%, this is fine, if I wanted to shoot at 30 of 60 fps for a different look I could without getting into any ntsc v pal screw up yes?

PMV Productions

PMV Productions Plus

interesting debate.
In order to produce slow motion video, I shoot 720p @ 50 fps (PAL) and then produce super smooth slow motion at 25 fps.

If there is no difference between PAL and NTSC then perhaps I should shoot 720p @ 60fps (NTSC) so that I can get more slow motion when exporting to PAL 25fps i.e. the more frames we have the more slow motion we can gain.

I don't understand why users are presented with a choice between PAL and NTSC - perhaps it would be better to simply present a choice of different frame rates - though this may lead to some confusion for some.

PMV Productions

PMV Productions Plus

Choice:

1. record 720p @ 60 fps (NTSC)
OR
2. record 720p @ 50 fps (PAL)

Then produce slow motion video @ 25 fps.(PAL)

Which option is better - option 1 or 2?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.