Thomas A

Thomas A

Hello, I'm buying a new camera in the following months and I have narrowed it down to either the 5D Mark III or the Black Magic Cinema Camera. With all things considered, I would like to hear which one you would choose and why you would make that decision?

If there are any other DSLR/Video cameras within the 3k price range that I'm forgetting please make a note of it in your post but I'm primarily focusing on the 5D and BMCC and cameras with an interchangeable lens.

On a side note, I have heard rumors of a Firmware upgrade that will allow the BMCC 60 fps - does anyone know anything about that?

Black Magic - blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

5D Mark III - usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii

Link: eoshd.com/content/8841/5d-mark-iii-or-blackmagic-cinema-camera

JEL

JEL

I don't have personal experience with the black magic camera, but based on what I've read about it and seen in online videos (test-footage and reviews etc) ; if it was only for cinematic use I would go with the black magic (when the choice is between the 5D and the black magic). While the 5D is a magic still camera it's not really a magic cinema camera.

Black magic is, as far as I know, 12bit 4:4:4
The 5D is 8bit 4:2:0

For run'n'gun video I wouldn't choose either.
For stills I would choose the 5D.

Thomas A

Thomas A

Hey Jel, thanks. I was originally leaning towards the BMCC but considering that they pushed back the camera's release another two months and still no sight of 60 fps, I'm now leaning towards the 5D Mark III. I do dabble in still photography and almost all of my work is compressed for the web.

JEL

JEL

Good luck with it :)

Michael Buffo

Michael Buffo Plus

hey Thomas, compressed or not, the BMC is going to give you better quality video. But, you can't shoot stills. What are you going to shoot? That's the REAL question.

Thomas A

Thomas A

I'm filming a few music videos over the next 8 months and I was thinking the 5D would be great because of 60 fps, the wider 35mm frame, and the ability to snap behind the scenes photos on the fly. On the other hand, I understand the BMCC is a much higher quality video camera and frankly, I would have probably purchased the BMCC by now if it wasn't for the wait. In the end, I might have to go with the 5D Mark III because the black magic is simply no where in sight. They seem to be trickling down - one person I spoke with said he put in his order in April! Do you know of any other video cameras at the 3k price range comparable to the BMCC?

Thomas A

Thomas A

I think I'm going to go with a Sony NEX FS100

JEL

JEL

Don't make rash decisions :)

Thomas A

Thomas A

Hey JEL, is that supposed to mean the NEXFS100 isn't a good camera? I've heard mixed reviews, but the majority seems to favor the camera. I would love to buy the NEXFS700 but unless I could find one used I won't be able to afford it...

JEL

JEL

No :) It's just that you started out in this thread about choosing either the 5D or the BM, and then suddenly talk about a third camera. That just gave me the impression that you perhaps aren't completely sure about what you really want from your camera.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

theres not a compitition with these 2 cameras go black magic all the way. the sensor size is about the size of film. yes will be less DOF u will just have to back up alittle to get the DOF u want The Crop different of BM and the 5d Id say the BM just isnt any compitietion here. maybe the canon at night but not by much. at night the canon will blow out more in highlights. there things like skys things with one color repeating itself for a long time dslrs havent problems there with the 4.20 colors the BM has more colors 4.22 so you get more colors so things will look like how you see with your eyes.

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

if you want to take pictures get a cheap 550d and the black magic camera u can get a 550d for what 300 bucks to 350 cragslist and get the black magic.

Thomas A

Thomas A

I already have a 550D. I would have purchased the BMCC if it was even remotely available, but just about every store has back orders as long as December and that's only if you put your order in now. Black Magic isn't giving retailers info on they're camera's release. In other words, Black Magic might release say 20 cameras to B&H in November, but there's no guarantee on the number and those mere 20 camera's will go to the filmmakers who put their orders in back in April! - Keep in mind B&H has a waiting list of 100+. This an industry dependent on contracts, and deadlines, Black Magic should be more communicative it's not like their growing these things. I'll probably have to buy the Sony NEXFS100 or FS700. I didn't intend to spend as much as the FS700 but I might do it just out of necessity, not to mention the camera will last me over five years before an upgrade is necessary.

Myles Thompson

Myles Thompson Plus

I have a 5Dm2, am considering selling it to buy a BM or FS700. At first I was set on selling, but I'm hanging in there. It's a tough choice - for me the FS700 is a big step up price-wise, & I've become attached to the 5D (despite its quirks). The lens I use most is the 24-105 - I love having that wide option available - (for 2-camera shoots I pair it up with a hacked GH2 which is awesome resolution-wise).

The other attractive feature with the BM package is Da Vinci Resolve - think of the creative options available with BM + Da Vinci.

Still a difficult choice though - with so many cameras coming out, amazing features such as HD slo mo (FS700) now within reach in the prosumer range...

One other reason for my hesitation - I recently shot a short on 5D & F3 - and hardly anyone can tell the difference between the shots from the 2 cameras (web video). This makes me hesitate before investing in a new camera. If aiming for cinema/broadcast, you will have different considerations.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.