Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

Hi,

I’ve just got a Rode NTG-2 Mic and Tacsam DR40 for filming documentary and fiction. However, when I record audio, unless the subject is very close to the mic, there is a lot of hiss because I have to push the gain all the way up. I am using an XLR cable to connect the mic to the DR40, and filming with a Canon 600D.

I’ve looked all over and there seems to be lots of different advice. My questions are….

Is it possible to use the NTG-2 with the DR40 when the mic is not very close to the subject, or is this just not possible and do I need a preamp?

Is it better to use a DR100, are the preamps in this powerful enough to record sound without pushing the levels all the way up and getting the hiss?

Or is something like Juicedlink Riggy a better option?

Many many thanks in advance!

Daniel

Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

Lowe Frequency

Lowe Frequency

if the subject is not near the mic, you are not going to get a good recording. The NTG-2 isn't very sensitive at the best of times. A better pre-amp will help, but will not be ideal. Noise reduction may suffice for now, but you need to find a better way of recording in the first place. The kit is perfectly fine if you can keep the mic close. This mic also has quite high off-axis rejection, so if your subject is not talking directly at the mic this will make a big difference too.

Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

Thanks Tom, the subject is as close to the mic as possible, however still not ideal and the sound could be improved. I have tried getting the mic VERY close, and anything more than 2 feet seems to cause problems.

Thanks for the reply, I'll work with it for now and may look to get a pre amp in the future.

If anyone else has any advice please write!

Rick Shorrock

Rick Shorrock

Daniel, I shoot on a Canon 60D with a TASCAM DR-05 to record audio, and an Audio-Techica AT-897 shotgun mic. I have experienced the hiss that you're describing when using an XLR to 1/8" miniplug adapter cable, which I plugged into the DR-05. Here's how I solved it: I bought a female-to-female 1'8" miniplug adapter, a 1/8" miniplug to stereo RCA audio adapter cable and a plug that turns the stereo RCA audio back into an 1/8" miniplug male end and connected them all together and plugged it into the DR-05. The recorder senses this connection as a line input and not a microphone. But it works great!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.