madbeardo

madbeardo

Hello, I am new to a video world. However, I am keen on learning and this process is not possible anymore without a decent video DSLR or a camcorder. I was reading tones of paragraphs with billions of letters with kind of descriptive meaning. I found out many facts about Canon HF G10, a new 2013 model HF G25(UK). I checked Pannys HC-X900M and HC-x920. I even was thinking to buy Sonys HDR-CX760E. I compared specifications many many times. There were a lot of different things i liked and there were only few of which I didn't. What if we put a new competitor? Value for money? 650D. Is it comparable?

I like shooting everything in any conditions, and yeah I would like shoot slow mo.

My problem: I can not judge this case fair.
Here is the end.
With regards to all you people, Lukas

roar

roar

Hello Lukas,

basically you're comparing point-and-shoot (with some manual controls) camcorders and a DSLR. IMHO camcorders are easier to learn and they give you more room to improve your skills. DSLRs generally gives you a better quality result (or maybe more "cinematic") and they are more flexible (for istance shooting in low light) once you know how to handle them (and that will take time).

However I think other people of the Vimeo community could help you better than me guiding your choice, but I can tell you two sure things:
- if you want slow motions you'll need something which shoots at a higher frame rate and in the market sector you pointed out it means you have to find something shooting at 50p (if you're in PAL-land or 60p if you're in NTSC-land)
- check if your computer can handle video-making

Bye,

Luca

madbeardo

madbeardo

Hello Luca, thanks for a reply!

To be honest with you, I am leaning towards camcorder. But here is that shallow depth of field held by DSLRs. However, camcorder like HF G10 which has got a manual control ring can make one as well. It isn't that deep but still it is a DOF and looks nice. Maybe I was wrong when I decided to compare camcorder to 650D.

I should concentrate only about camcorders.
So is there anything better (or there will be) than HF G10/HF G25? Keep the same price range or little bit over.

roar

roar

I agree with you. I started with a camcorder (a Canon HV30) and everyday I'm still improving and learning new things.

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

I think you have the right idea Lukas. As lovely as it is to have a HDSLR, a decent camcorder, which is purpose made for the job, is very often more practical and for a beginner, easier to use.

Don't worry about achieving a shallow depth-of-field. Using the right techniques it can be done on a consumer camcorder, but it is not a holy grail you need to kill yourself to reach and something that should not be done on almost every shot!

madbeardo

madbeardo

Thanks! You gave me some confidence with my decision to choose camcorder over DSLR!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.