Iain Anderson

Iain Anderson PRO

I'd like my videos to look their best, so I'm switching them all to 1080p. The first problem is that this option is very well hidden and many Vimeo users don't know about it. Since I want every video I post to be seen in 1080p, it's an extra step I'd like to avoid.

But as you say, not everyone's computers can display 1080p without jerkiness. So, could you please make this 1080p/720p preference an option for the viewer, rather than the filmmaker? Playback capacity is a function of the user's computer and available bandwidth, not the filmmaker's. Right now, I can choose 1080p to show the best quality to higher-end viewers but jerky video to lower-end viewers, or 720p to show "OK" quality to everyone. I can't make everyone happy right now, and SD is obviously not good enough.

At the moment, my best option is to use Vimeo for 1080p and YouTube for 720p delivery (along with everything else), and I'd much rather stay with Vimeo for everything if possible.

Thanks!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

The reason for this is currently the cost associated with converting, storing and serving high definition videos which is considerable. Perhaps some day we can offer both 720p and 1080p. We will keep working on it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Iain Anderson

Iain Anderson PRO

OK, thanks anyway. I look forward to a bandwidth-unlimited future.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.