Sam Larsen

Sam Larsen Plus

If it is possible for vimeo to take off ads for everyone when you own vimeo plus and not just yourself that would be awesome because I feel that I would want to pay for plus to cover the payments in advertisements

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

it's something we've considered before and looking into.

NoiseInc.

NoiseInc.

I have to add my voice. it doesn't make any sense in this form and it shouldn't be your selling point at all. it's not important what I see on my channel/ although no adds is cool/. the most important is the fact that we don't want people visiting our channels to see any adds. we want a "clean" experience fir them when viewing our channels. sorry guys it's sort of tricky to put it mildly you saying no adds at all. I seriously thought..no I was convinced that it's no adds for me as well as for my viewers and when I saw that it's totally not working I assumed that I must have not checked the field "no adds" or something....well there is no field like that. you should consider removing adds for "plus" customers. you know how the news and information works these days...it spreads like a virus. sorry to write this but that's how I feel.

Jesus Radicals

Jesus Radicals

I signed up for plus thinking there would not be ads on our page, only to find out the ads only disappear for me personally. That is misleading. I was hoping ads would not appear at all, for anybody, on my page.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we tried to be careful in crafting this message so it's clear that it's "you" who don't see the ads once you become a plus member.

can you tell us which part of the above messaging you found misleading?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

thanks. i will bounce your ideas to our copywriting team.

WorldUnite.Me

WorldUnite.Me

I just bought a plus account an hour ago and my understanding was that there would be no ads for the people that are going to watch "MY" channel I want to make on vimeo.

The point of no ads is that my channel should be clean of all ads. My project is Non profit and I dont want anybody to think that I make money on ads!

It is definetly misleading.... What kind of buisness is this?

Please Please get the ads of Plus users.

WorldUnite.Me

WorldUnite.Me

"Hate ads? We understand. With Vimeo Plus, you will never see another banner ad anywhere on the main site. Period."

This is how I and probably many others have misunderstod this sentence.

"Hate ads? We understand."
- If I hate ads I probably dont want them all over my videos. Im glad you understand.

"With Vimeo Plus, you will never see another banner ad anywhere on the main site. Period."
- Great... My main site will be free of ads. Period.

WorldUnite.Me

WorldUnite.Me

Im on Vimeo to showcase my project... not to sit and watch my own videos ad free... I can do that anytime on my computer. I have all the originales and they are totally ad free;o) My guess is that this would be the same for most Plus users.

So the "YOU" in the sentence:

"With Vimeo Plus, you will never see another banner ad anywhere on the main site. Period."

"YOU" in this sentence refers to the general you as in:

"If you dont drink water, you will die."

The sentence is misleading and should be changed ASAP until you deside to change the ad settings. Or better yet...Remove the ads from plus channels Now:o)

Positive Pictures

Positive Pictures Plus

beiing a Plus member... I don't want people to see adds on my page... BUT... I don't care of seeing adds on non-Plus members...
So I know by this that these people are just amateur ; )
haha
no but seriously... this is logic to not have adds on our channel because we pay for that reason.

Duncan Babbage

Duncan Babbage

As a new prospective customer, I 100% expected that the Vimeo Plus service would be allowing me to buy an ad-free channel to display my content, and am appalled to discover this thread. In my view, it's not so much that the copy is poorly worded, it is that Vimeo's business model is not AT ALL what content creators are looking for, and so the massive disconnect leads to misunderstandings because no content creator would care about what is being offered in Vimeo Plus whereas a large proportion of content creators would be looking for an ad-free channel.

bal simon

bal simon

I'm glad I saw this thread before signing up for Plus. I echo what others here have said. If I want to see my own videos ad free, I can do that easily. What's the point of that? The only point of ad-free is that MY AUDIENCE doesn't have to deal with ads. I was hoping that this would be a way for me to BRAND my videos. So thanks but no thanks until such time as Vimeo thinks through the logic of what we, your potential and current customers actually need and want.

Hillbrook School

Hillbrook School

I'm another new user fooled by the claim of a Plus account being free of ads.

John Morse

John Morse PRO

yeah this is no good. I was under the same impression, and thought that all videos I uploaded would be ad free for everyone...very tricky wording there Vimeo, something's gotta change

UBC

UBC Plus

Seems like Vimeo doesnt want to listen to theirs paid customers. Just like everything else this is something "we are looking into" but its on the bottom of list.
This was very helpful for me to know that "plus" does not remove ads. I care about people who watch my videos. I dont care if i see ads. Im not getting plus unless this fixed.

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church Plus

I would greatly prefer that my viewers see no ads as opposed to me seeing no ads. I would understand if this increased the cost of a premium account.

Micah Elliott

Micah Elliott

Would be very nice to hear from Vimeo staff on the timeframe for ad-less account pages. This is a deal-breaker. Otherwise, Vimeo looks pretty awesome. Two other features in mind I'll submit elsewhere, but being truly ad-free is the most important.

Per Anderson

Per Anderson Plus

I thought Vimeo would be ad-free with my "plus" account. I was surprised to find this out after signing up. I wanted to present my work in an ad-free environment.

Ann Douglas

Ann Douglas Plus

Guess I hadn't really checked what my viewers would see. I, too, am disappointed that they have to endure ads. I thought ad-free was one of the perks of Plus membership. I may have to reconsider services since my membership is within a month of expiring.

☞ Michael DeVowe

☞ Michael DeVowe Plus

Vimeo...any feedback on this? Could we not have ads for our viewers if we are plus members?

John Foster

John Foster

it makes me sad to see the length of this request thread, and still no action taken by Vimeo. please add my name to the list of those who strongly object to my viewers seeing any ads at all. I will wait a short while, then vote with my feet to an alternative service if no action is taken.

Winnie Slep

Winnie Slep

It would be nice if adverts were banished from an authors videos if he/she were a Plus user, so that meant videos were clean for all. I am sure you agree, but is it possible, is there going to be enough money if you do that?

If 50% of your users were Plus, then would you be making enough to justify ad free videos from the other 50%? - ad free for registered basic users while unregistered users had to watch ads.. at least that way you would (possibly) encourage those visitors to sign up and then, with the service as good as it is, encourage them to become Plus.

A visitor might see the ad and be turned off, never to return, maybe they're used to ads and will put up with it. While a registered basic user would understand they have to suffer ads, they would definitely appreciate a clean video, much like being able to see HD in an embedded video for being logged in there is cachet to having a Plus account.

These kinds of thoughts run through my mind.

Frank Baier

Frank Baier

Sorry guys, I understand the statement of the V. Plus account and I'm happy with that.

Vimeo is not a paid-by-use service. It's free. The Vimeo Plus account cleans out the ads at your profile page.

If you are not a member or Vimeo Plus user, you see ads. So this is a normal service. How do you think this would be possible to free your profile page from ads ?

You are paying for a special service and not the "nice-to-have" make up at your profile page.

Such kind of service is already at a lot of services. Have a look at last.fm for example. It's the same. If you have not a subscriber account you have ads at this service.

Best Regards,
Frank

David Greenberg

David Greenberg

I am considering upgrading but this is definitely deterring me from doing so, as well as recommending it to my clients. I would be willing to pay a bit more even than the plus price, but PLEASE get rid of the ads. I would really enjoy recommending this service to my clients.

First CRC - Grand Rapids

First CRC - Grand Rapids Plus

Agree with these comments, i feel misled also... Great service but not so cool with the carefully crafted misleading sentence... Probably will use something else.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Can you let us know what part of the messaging was misleading?

First CRC - Grand Rapids

First CRC - Grand Rapids Plus

Hey, you guys rock, this site is awesome. Super cool stuff, love the positive vibe. And the plus is good for many more reasons that just no ads on my profile, but that was a big think I was looking for. About what part was misleading, the first part - a completely ad free environment. That's as far as I read because I guess I read what I wanted to here. I just noticed the last part, that non-plus users will see ads, when they watch your videos, but hey I was already sold : )

All this said, I do think that the option, even if it cost more, to totally personalize the profile page would be a good one.

Thanks for your work! Sorry about not reading everything, but I do think the completely ad free environment is not 100% accurate.

Keep up the good work!

All of this in a completely Ad-Free environment. That's right, when you buy Plus, you will never see banner ads again, leaving you with the cleanest experience in online video sharing you can find anywhere. However, people who watch your videos that are not Plus members will continue to see ads.

JakkintheBox

JakkintheBox

About all these people complaining about the "misleading" description of an Ad-free environment -- I've thought about upgrading several times, and have read the conditions several times. There is nothing misleading about them, atleast the way I read it. I immediately got the picture; I will see no ads. Me. Not you or you or you or you. Me. Had I bought a Plus account, I would not have expected a complete wipe-out of ads on all my videos for non-Plus users -- they are not paying. I am.

Pay= no ads.
Free= some ads.

Simple.

Dave

Dave

I knew exactly what they meant too. A question for all you people paying $60 a year and uploading all your HD videos (60GB a year if you max out) - you think that $60 even comes close to covering all your bandwidth from your viewers?

If they let your page be ad-free for that $60, they'd go under and your videos and money would be gone, too.

Please think about this before you complain any further.

UQ Journalism & Communication

UQ Journalism & Communication PRO

Regardless of whether the business model would or would not survive, the wording IS misleading. A simple amendment would state that "visitors to your page will continue to see ads unless they themselves are logged in Plus members".

The point I would like to make is that there should be a third layer of membership where no ads appear for any visitor then at least we have the choice to pay up or shut up.

Matthew P

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church Plus

I agree with Matthew.

What some of us are saying is "there is an additional revenue stream available here. We would like X feature and are willing to pay [undefined sum] to get it. please, thank you, you're welcome."

Jon

Jon

Agree with the point above - either remove ads for Vimeo plus for everyone, or make a new option to pay for no ads for anyone.

I was about to sign up a client but you just lost this customer...

Darren Miller

Darren Miller Plus

Blake and other Vimeo staff reading this thread -- it doesn't matter whether you think the wording is or is not accurate. The fact is your users are confused and believe you're misleading them. I am a Plus user and naively thought that no ads meant no ads for everyone viewing my channels - not just no ads for me.

In any case, it would be nice to have a completely no ads option. Sure, you may have to increase the price for this service to offset your lost ad revenue. We all understand that you need to make money. Just gives us the option. (Likewise you might then want to consider reducing the price of your Plus With Ads account.)

I am looking forward to this being addressed properly by Vimeo. It's the only blight I can see on an otherwise excellent service.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We've revised the wording on our Plus marketing pages to better explain this. If you have suggestions as to make it better, please share them with us and we will consider them.

Josh Korr

Josh Korr

I have a question about the ads: If I have a Plus account and embed my video on a 3rd-party site, will banner ads display in the video when non-Plus users view it on that site? Or do banner ads display for non-Plus users only when they view the video on vimeo.com?

Thanks!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We never show ads in the player under any circumstance. We only show ads on the video page around the video for logged out or free users.

Chris Summerfield

Chris Summerfield Plus

So let's see if I understand this. "No ads for Plus users" means that no ads will appear on pages displayed for users who are logged in as Plus users. It does NOT mean that the home or profile pages of Plus users will be ad-free when displayed for "public" users (users who are not logged in). Is that correct? (How deceptive)

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

That's correct. Sorry if you feel deceived, we did revise our wording on this, maybe we should give it another look.

Christian Hills

Christian Hills

I guess your wording is correct when you stop and process it...it seems misleading because users come expecting the truly add-free experience they find in most other services they choose to pay for. So when they see "never see ads" they stop processing...our fault to be sure, but unfortunate as it reduces the relevance of your service.

On that note, are the ads (that DO display for 99% of our viewers) only Vimeo related? As a church, we are always concerned by ad-supported services as we have no control over their subject matter - usually a deal breaker...

Motion Head UK

Motion Head UK Plus

Hi, Im a plus member and I cant open a vimeo page without an ad pops up with sound..is it possible to get this revised in order to stop the ads to pop up.

First Presbyterian Church Sparta

First Presbyterian Church Sparta Plus

Motion Head, you may want to run a check for mal-ware. It sounds like you may have something not-so-nice on your computer causing pop-ups. I don't get anything like that when I hit Vimeo.com. Don't know what other's are getting, but that's just my experience.

First Presbyterian Church Sparta

First Presbyterian Church Sparta Plus

I have to say that when I signed up, I was also under the impression that visitors to my page would not see ads. What worries me is ads that are inappropriate to my content. We used to use UStream, but the occasional Trojan ads were not what you'd want to show up during a sermon.

C. David Maxey

C. David Maxey

smugmug.com has no ads anywhere, and for $60/year they allow an unlimited number of videos. Each video must be less than 20 minutes and 3gb.

PIEBU

PIEBU Plus

Yes, an add free plan would be necesary, and very aprecieted by many people,and organizations.
In fact, for example: You upload videos of a church. Churches have their doctrine. Their perspective about how things should be said, and how to behave. Then, adds from other churches with different doctrines appear just above your church's videos, inviting members of your church, to go to facebook to see other doctrines. There is no problem that people get informed, of people see other things. The proble, is a focus problem. You are living a good experience, looking at a good message, and someone that paid, have the right to do some "noise" over the experience of the viewers. This is specially sensible when is about institutions, churhces, etc. Imagine an jewish channel, for example, that shows ads that read "Convert to christianims" .. maybe the rabiswill not like that... i belive. The same goes in other directions..
Thanks to vimeo for considering this seriously. People starts to love you more an more for being aware of people needs. Thanks!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Vimeo PRO, which is designed for organizations and commercial use by small businesses, does offer this function. No doubt, the most ideal would be to have no ads whatsoever but the economics of service cost means we do have to generate some revenue through ads and it's limited to actual paying members for now.

Tony Beighton

Tony Beighton

Just signed up to plus, like everyone else very disappointed still to have ads, when its worded to give the impression of no ads.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Tony. Actually we've reworded our Plus promo pages at one point to make it clearer that this paid feature applies only to the Vimeo Plus members:

"Hate ads? We understand. Vimeo Plus members will never see another banner ad anywhere on the main site. Period."

Cornerstone Bible Fellowship

Cornerstone Bible Fellowship Plus

Am I reading this right? If one has Vimeo Plus, ads will always appear on the video page when a viewer clicks on one of your videos. There will never be an option to disconnect this feature? Therefore, risk having ads show up that are not appropriate for your site?

Vimeo PRO was mentioned. Does Vimeo PRO offer the option to disconnect the ad for the viewer when the click on your video?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Plus and PRO members never see ads on vimeo.

Basic members, unregistered and logged-out users will see ads on vimeo.

We do not show ads on PRO member's video clip pages.

Cornerstone Bible Fellowship

Cornerstone Bible Fellowship Plus

The question is, if a non-member clicks on a PRO video will they see adds. The one thing I noticed is that while I do not see the adds, if I embed my video on another site, the adds show. (see prior communications on this link as other members have the situation.) Does this same situation happen for PRO accounts also?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

You mean do ads show on another site? Since we cannot control other sites, it will be entirely up to that site.

remaye

remaye

Just to be completely clear about videos loaded on a Vimeo BASIC, PLUS or PRO account and ads, can people from Vimeo staff validate (or unvalidate) all the points bellow ?

If I subscribe to a PRO account :

- I will never see ads on ANY video on ANY account on Vimeo.
- No user (unauthenticated users or free account users) will see ads on MY videos (loaded on my PRO account).
- If I (or anybody) embed a video from my PRO account (using the "share" embed code) in a third party site (my own site for example) is it possible to set parameters so that no people will see ads on the embedded videos ?

If I subscribe to a PLUS account :

- I will never see ads on ANY video on ANY account on Vimeo.
- Other users (anonymous or basic account users) will see ads on MY videos (loaded on my PLUS account). PLUS and PRO account users will not see ads of course.
- If I (or anybody) embed a video from my PLUS account (using the "share" embed code) in a third party site (my own site for example) is it possible to set parameters so that no people will see ads on the embedded video ? (I'm particularly interested on that point !)

If I subscribe to a BASIC account :

- I will see ads on ANY video on Vimeo except on PRO accounts.
- Other users (unauthenticated users or basic account users) will see ads on MY videos (loaded on my BASIC account). PLUS and PRO account will not see ads of course.
- If I (or anybody) embed a video from my BASIC account (using the "share" embed code) in a third party site (my own site for example) people will probably see ads ?

Sorry if some points are obvious from the posts above, but some are not and this is assuming to be a summary... if I dare...
Thanks for your time.

BI for MYOB

BI for MYOB Plus

We are just new to Vimeo. We have hosted some videos and of course when we see them we are logged in (via the cookie) and so we don't see ads. We never realised that people out in the big bue room see ads. We bought Plus because we thought it was ad free. Having a clever wordsmith doesn't undo the fact that most readers thought they were getting this ad free.

Has remaye's post been answered ? Can you confirm Pro is ad free for everyone or not.

Thanks

Dave Limited

Dave Limited PRO

I am quite shocked that PRO accounts have ads in them at all. Not quite as PRO as I thought....

John Wetzel

John Wetzel Plus

Hello, I am a refugee from the recent decision at blip.tv to make pre-roll ads mandatory for members' content. To tell you the truth I am having difficulty understanding the policy at Vimeo, and I need to know before I switch. I am interested in embedding videos on my own site with no ads. Is this possible with a Plus membership? An earlier comment seemed to indicate that the embedded player would have no ads, but I can't tell. Reading this thread is somewhat disheartening. Users definitely want a straight answer. How is this possible with Vimeo? Is the answer different for the Vimeo site or with the embedded player. Cheers.

Halcyon 1234

Halcyon 1234 Plus

I am also shocked that my Plus videos have ads on them. I'm putting up short videos intended for my dance students to watch multiple times. I have no problem paying money to do so. I am disgusted to know that I am paying money to bombard them with even more advertisements. Dozens of videos, multiple watches. Shameful.

I can assure you that it doesn't matter what your copywrite says. If the jist of the phrase is "Hate ads" and "see no ads", then the assumption anyone who doesn't want ads will have is that there will be NO ads. Period. Ever. It's my fault for not reading word for word carefully enough, but all that makes me feel is cheated and ripped off.

I paid for a year subscription, so I'm stuck. But fool me once. If there isn't an option to shut off ads by the time renewal comes around, I'm gone. It's a pity because everything else about Vimeo is fine. But ads on my videos is a deal breaker.

Halcyon 1234

Halcyon 1234 Plus

That being said, when I say "an option to disable ads"-- while I would prefer that to be a free option, I do understand the realities of the costs involved in running a service like Vimeo. I would be willing to pay up to $10 extra per year for a completely 100% GUARANTEED ad-free account. I see no ads anywhere on Vimeo. No one watching one of my videos ever sees an ad-- not on the Vimeo page, no in an embed, nowhere.

On Location

On Location Plus

wow this has been around for so long. I guess they still mislead. I was going to upgrade to Plus. I think we just need to upload to our own websites. You can customize your own html5 videos, which is basically what Vimeo is and don't let people tell you it can't be done cheap- hosting accounts for your entire site and if you only have a few videos like I do it would work fine. I also need to look to see if there are other options out there.

Motiongraphics

Motiongraphics Plus

I now have ads appearing on MY pages despite being a PLUS member. The ads are specifically related to searches on Google for products in France and are clearly being displayed as a result of allowing cookies from those sites.

Clearing the Safari cache stops this happening but how come Vimeo are allowing this?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Logged in Plus and PRO members never see ads on Vimeo.

Basic members, unregistered, and logged-out users will see ads on Vimeo.

We do not show ads on PRO member's video clip pages.

BRIDEE

BRIDEE Plus

As a plus member, I'm also shocked that my viewers see adds.
We all should start to post our concern on twitter and facebook.
This is bad misleading business! Vimeo shame on you!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.