Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

Just so everyone is aware:

Vimeo currently allows you to "link" a video you did not upload to your account as long as you've been credited in it. You can then add it as one of the three featured videos on your profile, and it will always appear in the Appearances tab of your videos.

The stats on videos you are credited in do not count towards your personal stats.

For more info see vimeo.com/help/faq/video#credits

Jeroen Houben

Jeroen Houben Plus

Hi.
We made a video with two people. We're equally proud of it, so we both want it to show on our Vimeo account.

This means: we now both have to upload the same video. Not very efficient, concidering statistics etc.

Please create a feature where artists can 'share' one video, so it shows up on both accounts. That way it saves Vimeo a lot of doubleposts, and the artists a lot of hassle with statistics.

Thanks in advance.
Jeroen & Jurjen

Kevin W. Hoffman Design

Kevin W. Hoffman Design Plus

I totally agree. I have worked with teams of four or five people on short films. We are all credited, but when we post to our individual portfolios, it will only link to the original uploader's vimeo account. So we end up uploading four different versions of the same video just so it will say our name on it.

Implementing this feature would help vimeo and its users a great deal.

Edit: I did some searching and found this was suggested about two weeks ago but dismissed as a lot of work for an "edge use" feature. I think if you did some research to see just how many people are uploading duplicates you would see it is a common issue.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we didn't dismiss it. we just happen to disagree at this time as to its use case. i still believe this is a edge case. we have 3+ million users uploading 20+K videos. we know there's been some users requesting this feature and we will consider it. it just does not happen to be high on our list right now.

Jay Beckt

Jay Beckt Plus

I get it ... to better understand vimeo ... what is 'high' on your list?

Dustin McLean

Dustin McLean

I just want to throw this out there: You should do it.

And heres why. Film is a collaborative process. So, you can assume many people work on each project. Now, in many cases it is in the best interest of the film and the storage space on Vimeo to have the film linked to more than one account when it is uploaded.

This could be a very simple process, where, when a person uploads a video and adds other Vimeo users in the credits a notification is sent to the added user. It would then ask:"Would you like to add this video to your videos?"

The video would remain on one page, but would have been added to the second users videos.

This would def up community cred.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

For now we have 'credits' which allow for people to share credit and link to other individuals' profiles. We used to have a feature like this a few years ago and it caused a ridiculous amount of confusion. That being said, we will definitely consider it in the future if there is a better implementation. Thanks for the feedback.

Emmanuel Tenenbaum

Emmanuel Tenenbaum Plus

I also vote for it, I even think it is very very very very important for many users here :)

ntrlpr

ntrlpr

I am soon to upload a film I co-directed with another person and hoped there would be some easy feature like this to avoid the statistic (and other) issues.

Is uploading it to both of our accounts better than creating a new joint account for our collaborative projects (removing all stats from either of our primary accounts)? If it's uploaded twice, if the film is featured anywhere or added to channels, it'd be either my or my co-director's account, not both. We don't want to only upload it to ONE of our accounts and add the other as a co-director in the credits.

This feature has my vote, for sure.

Johann R.

Johann R. Plus

I also totally agree with the other statements.

Please fix this missing important feature!

Daniel Mateus

Daniel Mateus

I would love to see this done immediately. It would make me so happy.

Charlesque

Charlesque Plus

I'm agree too.

Now the trick is a to create a account for the team... and credit all creators.

Chris Eastwood

Chris Eastwood

It's all well and good that you can "credit" yourself on a video, but what does that really do for you? The main profile page only lists the videos you have uploaded. A casual browser will miss all the other great pieces of work you've done that may have been uploaded by other users. Why is there so much focus on who UPLOADED the material, anyway? The person who uploaded it should be irrelevant. Once the video is in the mix, it should link equally to whomever is credited on the project and just as easily be accessed from all credited users as well as the user who uploaded it.

Davide Frusteri

Davide Frusteri

totally agree! I was sure every credited people have the video on theirs profiles too! Now every member of my team has to upload each time the same video but we can't share the statistics and comments!

Kellyn Evans

Kellyn Evans

I agree; I think this feature would be incredibly useful, especially as Vimeo is increasingly being used by people to showcase productions in which there is typically more than one significant contributor... I'd vote for it.

superrocketman

superrocketman Plus

I naturally thought you could do it until I tried like crazy to find a way and ultimately discovered this thread. Please add this feature Vimeo, it just makes sense. I am voting for this.

Secret History

Secret History Plus

Damn first google for this feature brought me here, to this sorry a** thread. VIMEO you're the only one that matters to us filmmakers, now support your true base please. ADD THIS FEATURE.

Carl Yates

Carl Yates Plus

I think this is a crucial feature and i was very suprised and frustrated that Vimeo didnt have it.
Defiantly one vote here!

Kim Asendorf

Kim Asendorf

yes! please! i do a lot of collaboration and it would be very cool if a certain video could assigned to more accounts!
thx vimeo
kisskisspeniskiss

Agence Future

Agence Future Plus

I agree too. Or just make it possible to set the page "USERS's videos" on "Total" by default. It will be great !

Jen Dexter

Jen Dexter Plus

We're proud of the videos we work on and we may not have access to the files for upload. Even just a link to the account the video is on is better than nothing.

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

I just became a part of vimeo, and coming in I had the expectation that there was an emphasis on the creators behind the videos. To be honest, I'm disappointed to see a website so important to filmmakers ignore something as necessary as deserved credit on a work. It should be apparent that films are created by more than one person, and it's fair to give everyone involved that recognition.

Marin Balaic

Marin Balaic Plus

I'm all for it. It would be great to have that option.

BasserDrew

BasserDrew Plus

Yup, there seriously needs to be a way to assign a video already uploaded to more than one account. Couldn't be that hard really.

Adam Proctor

Adam Proctor Plus

This would be very helpful and makes good sense due to the collaborative nature of film-making

Mantar Film

Mantar Film

definitely a must have considering the collaborative nature of the film / video making! multiple directors on a video, a company account and a personal account, or many other reasons to have this feature... they are all pretty strong!

Studio December

Studio December

Another vote in the ring. I've seen at least one other thread about a year ago and the answer back then was "It's on our minds".

I think it's something that really needs some consideration. I've already seen 1 video that's been uploaded to 3 different accounts (causing Vimeo to store it and trans-code it 3 different times). I also know of two other videos which I would like to add to my profile, but am postponing as to not cause duplicates (which 'hurts' me). It would also clean up search results when multiple videos come up.

Here's how I view the video page:

Profile pic: Either a group icon or each co-owners pic integrated in some way.

The "by" line: Pretty easy, list each co-owner.

"Show me" box: Pulls videos from each profile or subscriptions from each profile (similar to how you can list your videos or your subscriptions).

Credits: Lists each co-owner by default.

Likes, views, etc are per-video and thus shared between accounts.

The trickiest part is the settings and who can edit them, here's what I think:
Simplest: Uploader is only one who can edit.
Medium: Everyone can edit.
Hardest: Everyone can edit and each edit requires approval.

Anyways, like I mentioned, with the amount of attention this feature has, I think it's something to definitely consider.

Diana Cardoso

Diana Cardoso

Couldn't agree more... Whether it comes to be a simpler or a more complex feature, this "app" would not only benefit the users and creators as it would improve Vimeo itself.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Thanks guys. Yeah, this was recently brought up again. We're considering it with a few changes we'll be making in the upcoming future.

Dean McCrea

Dean McCrea

I also agree. I would surely use that feature.

Frank Baier

Frank Baier

Isn't it already possible via the credit function ? I just saw a lot of videos around here which this shared credits.

Michael Mühlhaus

Michael Mühlhaus

same here,

request for this feature!

@Frank Baier
credts are nice, but under the video there is alwas only the uploader mentioned.

Kristen Hodges

Kristen Hodges

This frustrating problem would be resolved if videos I'm credited on appear on my profile!

Adam Brown

Adam Brown Plus

Lots of users asking for this now..

Add me to the list

Come on Vims! Whats the Craic?

Dusan Harminc

Dusan Harminc PRO

Add one more to the list. We also sometimes revised a video... then if you had five people upload- everybody need a new copy...

Ryan Hayward

Ryan Hayward

I also vote for this feature to be on a higher priority list!

Almost every single one of my videos is on vimeo at least twice if not more because of this issue!

Generation Digital

Generation Digital

Even if it was something as simple as a "tag" so when you are Credited on a film, it shows up in a "tagged" or "Credited" playlist that then links to the original upload.

Rodrigo Kormann

Rodrigo Kormann

Me too! It would be awesome and I think that considering another issues...must be very simple to implement...at least the purporse is simple.
One more vote!
\o/

nick refuerzo

nick refuerzo Plus

Agreed. Any updates on this? It's been a year since the original poster wrote this.

Imagem-Tempo

Imagem-Tempo Plus

Yes! Vimeo users keep wanting this feature. Let's do it!

Lucas Loredo

Lucas Loredo

I would like this as well! Any news? Pretty please?

gaetlmr

gaetlmr

+1 !

Please add it !

kate genevieve

kate genevieve

Agree! Uploading four versions of the same video on different accounts really makes no sense. This feature would be great.

VLA Films

VLA Films Plus

+1. Absolute necessity!

I would like some sort of the Facebook tag system. When you got tagged/mentioned in the credits, the video will appear between your video's.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

This is actually pretty complicated, but we have been discussing this idea recently and are trying to see if it's something we can make work.

Beaverandbeaver | Ely Dagher

Beaverandbeaver | Ely Dagher

not putting pressure nor anything but just to know. if this feature would be added when would that be ? just to know if i should wait for it with my coming project or go ahead with another solution until it is available.

thank you :)

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

can't say a time table, but probably not before the end of the year.

Grant Willis (VK5GR)

Grant Willis (VK5GR) Plus

How about a simple fix - (well simple in my eyes :-)) On my profile page I have 6 buttons across the top for "Videos", "Likes", "Contacts", "Groups" etc - how about simply adding a "Credits" button so that if you are credited in a film, the film can be quickly found by anyone looking at your profile and selecting the "Credits" button?

The "Credits" feature has been there for ages - maybe simply make it more prominent?

Shahryar

Shahryar

I know I commented on another thread on this topic somewhere. I'll comment again here that I really want this feature for the projects where 2 or more people were heavily involved. I'm not sure if it was mentioned if there already is a "credits" system in place for people who just participated but that would be good to.

There's a lot of people in here who seem pretty shocked that this ability to have multiple "owners" to a video doesn't exist. But I don't think I've seen that ability anywhere - YouTube does the same thing right? Each video has just one owner?

UiWE

UiWE Plus

yeps, i'd like the shared video to happpen too!

Jesse Wood

Jesse Wood Plus

exposure room already does this. it shouldnt be that hard for vimeo to pull it off...

gaetlmr

gaetlmr

Probably one of the most and the oldest requested features... and still no move from Vimeo !

GumptionDesign

GumptionDesign Plus

Man I look like a poser when I try to show a potential client a video I've directed and all I can do is send them to the guy's site who filmed it....

Ouch.

Panoptiqm

Panoptiqm Plus

Any news? more and more users waiting for this.. Let us know, please:)

Klustre

Klustre

Sometimes you don't want to have the same settings on a video, like letterbox or watermark for instance. So perhaps the feature could also include a part in which you can only link the statistics on multiple videos? So it doesn't fragment the statistics and comments.

Ocean & Earth

Ocean & Earth

This would be a great feayure - please implement as soon as possible.

Amir Porat

Amir Porat

Just wanted to let you know there's already a few videos I would have loved to upload as a group. please try and make this happen.

Or at least make the site show videos which you are credited for in your profile videos page.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

This topic has been addressed in few other threads but, yes, we are working on making your credited videos more prominent in the next profile page redesign.

UiWE

UiWE Plus

i think it is important not only to make them more prominent - but simply to have the films, you're credited on available on your profile page...

J G Harding

J G Harding Plus

It's been a long time, and this still causes problems :S Surely an option to have anyone credited be able to add the same file to their profile would be best?

juan leal

juan leal

Blah Blah blah, I have been reading this thread and it is CLEAR they refuse to do anything!!!
READ BELOW FOR STAFF TRANSLATIONS OF RESPONSES.

Soxiam STAFF 1 year ago
we didn't dismiss it. we just happen to disagree at this time as to its use case. i still believe this is a edge case. we have 3+ million users uploading 20+K videos. we know there's been some users requesting this feature and we will consider it. it just does not happen to be high on our list right now.=look we just dont give a frak MR. steven spielberg!! we have 3 millions users do you think we care about one single user like you...we dont have time to implement such a simple feature but hey we will put you on a list. you are really high on the list..NOT

Blake Whitman STAFF 1 year ago
For now we have 'credits' which allow for people to share credit and link to other individuals' profiles. We used to have a feature like this a few years ago and it caused a ridiculous amount of confusion. That being said, we will definitely consider it in the future if there is a better implementation. Thanks for the feedback.=Clearly we dont even understand what you are asking, so lets change the subject...have you heard about the "credits" feature? its so amazing, it does nothing of what you ask but hey.. its pretty cool way too look good right?. now seriously what else do you want?.. we got ridiculously confused last time and are too lazy to implement any change. why fix something that isnt broken?

Blake Whitman STAFF 1 year ago
Thanks guys. Yeah, this was recently brought up again. We're considering it with a few changes we'll be making in the upcoming future.=We heard you, dont worry we got. Maybe, never.

Blake Whitman STAFF 5 months ago
This is actually pretty complicated, but we have been discussing this idea recently and are trying to see if it's something we can make work.=we are just not that motivated to make this a priority. but we have been talking about talking about it. then someone took our post it notes that had the list, with our lunch order. if you find it call us back at 212-505-1210.

Re: Soxiam STAFF 2 months ago
we are working on making your credited videos more prominent in the next profile page redesign= shut up we heard you,its getting annoying so when we get to it we will get to it but for right now let me give you another vague non response,,to keep you sheep inline.. oh and check out our bad -a website redesign!! woohoo! look how pretty. new features.. naw we dont need 'em.. anyway its not like you are a PRO user.. LOSER.. haha

Guys I hope Im wrong here and not mean to take it out on any specific person but I just dont see any real commitment from VIMEO. This has to be a choice, its not that difficult, just not that important. Its just "not a priority" until that happens we will stay where we are with vimeo. At least we know.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I am exactly not sure how to respond to this since you might interprete this in a way that was not intended.

I am not sure how you can assume that we are calling our members losers and don't expect us to take that as being mean-spirited.

As for the feature... it is as we have been saying.

We know there's some demand for this feature but it has not been a priority for us.

Do people who feel passionate about this particular feature feel frustrated about that? Of course, but I think you can say that about pretty much every feature that currently lacks on Vimeo.

Mason VanGaalen

Mason VanGaalen

This needs to happen. Me and four friends just finished an incredible project, with equal amounts of effort from all sides. We put a lot of blood and sweat in to it, and now we want people to know what we made, not just one user.
You have my vote.

Andrew Spitz

Andrew Spitz Plus

I really think it is a crucial feature. It's horrible to 'negotiate' with co-creators about who gets it on their profile. Vimeo is the perfect space for sharing projects, and these projects mostly require a team (with equal value). I really love Vimeo, but I think this should be a priority :-)

giuliano girelli

giuliano girelli PRO

crucial feature, not to ask, it's obvious :-)
you people at vimeo know very well why we are on vimeo: quality. and you also know that this means we bring quality to vimeo (i hope). please increase your idea of "priority" on that task. i'm sure you can find a solution, maybe at 60% but it could be a first step. ciao

Ben Cornish

Ben Cornish Plus

I would like this a lot, the credits are good but when working on a joint edit it is nice to have the video show up under videos rather appearances.
Obviously at the moment I understand you have a lot on with the new Vimeo layout.
It is a nice feature to have should the users choose to use it :)

Mighty Story Teller

Mighty Story Teller PRO

We would HIGHLY appreciate the feature for multiple accounts to glean the advantages of the same video being present within their "My Videos".

Thanks!!

Jeroen Houben

Jeroen Houben Plus

I really wonder, if this is no priority, what is? Not much has happened with Vimeo (except for a redesign a few months ago, which is fine, but I could live without it). They used to be on top, and have all those features that Youtube (for instance) did not have. Since Youtube is adapting much faster, the gap is getting smaller, and the need to pay for a PLUS account decreases. This is no threat or anything (still a satisfied customer), I just would expect Vimeo to be as innovative as it used to be.

Jack Becht

Jack Becht

This is something that must be addressed.

Manuel Rodriguez

Manuel Rodriguez

Could this be fixed by making the "Total" tab the default tab when viewing one's videos? Rather than the current default, the "Videos" tab (which is essentially only video's the person has uploaded)? What will happen when a cinematographer’s reel is replaced by an online Video host? Will it be Vimeo? Will employers and potential clients ask for one's Vimeo page to see their work? In a way it's kind of already happening in an informal "here's some stuff I've done" kind of way. Without this feature I don’t see a full transition happening. I know that it's not an easy task to re-code or re-write a section of Vimeo with 3million users +, but it's precisely because of the 3million users that, one day, Vimeo will/should incorporate this feature and maybe, just maybe, we will one day hear "send me your Vimeo" from production companies and clients. However, I wouldn’t want to send them something where not all of my work would be easily displayed. Let’s face it, they’re not going to go fishing for it. It is in the best interest of the user, and in Vimeo as a company, to incorporate the feedback from this thread. Thank you Vimeo, no other hosting site is this involved with its members.

Gwen Schroeder

Gwen Schroeder Plus

I'd like to throw my +1 in the ring.

Here's why - I am a collaborator and I would LOVE to show off that work on a web unifier like flavors.me or about.me instead of updating my website with all the embeds.

I am credited in a few videos, but those videos do not show up under my profile when using either of those unifiers and that really diminishes my (and everyone's) online "reel"... I personally think it's awesome that people (including myself) are using vimeo to highlight their work, but I feel like this is an Achilles heel for you guys, especially since filmmaking is such a collaborative process. Like the commenter said above - I believe that people are already saying "send me your Vimeo" and I will feel a lot more comfortable doing so if all of my work was featured without having to click some small credits links at the top.

I'm not really sure why it's better to crowd the site with multiple versions of the same video instead of allowing us to share videos, but I'm sure you've got your reasons.

All that said, I totally love you guys and all that you've done for our community! I hope there's a solution on the horizon!

Junius Jones

Junius Jones

The reason they have yet to implement this feature after two years... is that they know you're going to use their website, anyway. They don't feel a "need" to do anything to appease you, because they already have you.

You should never expect it to happen. They will continue to give the run away with generic responses about 'contemplating' implementation, etc...

A simple, "We've decided to not add the feature", would suffice...

Maël Frize

Maël Frize

+1
This is a very important and innovative feature!

Julian Heisch

Julian Heisch

+1
This is exactly what I'm looking for! Go and get it!

Zubin Pastakia

Zubin Pastakia

Yes! Please do this.... it's far more efficient and would also save storage space for you guys.

Lasse Munk

Lasse Munk

I agree! :) It would be a really cool feature!

Momo Miyazaki

Momo Miyazaki

I agree with Zubin Pastakia, it'll save you so many loads!

I'm no webmaster, but whoever uploads the video can still be the 'owner', but just show the video on the main page of whoever is credited....? Right?

Good luck; I know lots of people who find this a problem!

Razan Sadeq

Razan Sadeq

This is very important, we constantly work with teams and it doesn't make sense to upload several versions of the same video, on so many different levels, i think others have already mentioned why in previous posts, but this has to be resolved. "Appearances" tab is not sufficient, it gives less importance to the teammates than the one who uploads the video.

Andrew Nip

Andrew Nip Plus

I'm surprised that Vimeo has not instituted such a feature. It seems to make sense since almost every video project rarely consists of just one individual that participates/contributes in its production. This will help Vimeo users and Vimeo in a number of ways:

- it reduces the duplication in uploads and queues;
- if there are future revisions/edits to a video, one user can re-upload it for everyone and there won't be issues of versioning between the users' profile pages;
- Vimeo can benefit from reducing space used for storing videos;
- views/statistics will not be diluted between contributors;

Ashok Vardhan

Ashok Vardhan

This would a wonderful feature, if vimeo would add it. Looking forward to see it.

Stephen Buchanan

Stephen Buchanan

Yes, absolutely, Vimeo, you must do this. Sure, you need to consider the implications for your system and user experience and so on, but for heaven's sake, do it. This might even be a minority of users requesting such a feature, but they are in all likelihood a very special group precisely because they care about such things... and exactly the sorts of users whose opinion you should be listening to: pros, content creators, etc., ie the people who made Vimeo what it is and continue (for now) to do so.

Play the Magic

Play the Magic

same here. it is a feature that would make vimeo stand out (even more) for film makers and other visual artists where collaboration is such a common way of working.

please implemente it! :)

Benjamin Arzt

Benjamin Arzt

I also think that we really need such a feature! "Appearances" may be okay for actors or musicians who were hired for the job, but not for co-writers/producers/filmers who worked on the same video with the same effort.

Stephen Winyard

Stephen Winyard Plus

Please add this feature, I'm about to graduate from a film school and a lot of us are annoyed that we need to upload videos multiple times. It seems like an easy thing to implement and would benefit you guys as well.

Sam Gorman

Sam Gorman

Yeah this definitely needs to be implemented. If you had it a while ago and it was confusing, then just make it better.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We have made some improvements in this area. Namely we've introduced a very prominent link to the "Appearances" off our users' profile pages that links directly to the list of videos where they are credited in. We will continue to look for opportunities to make this clearer and easier to use.

James Kirk

James Kirk

I'd very much like to see this feature, otherwise it would be great if you could feature a video that you appear in on your front page.

James Kirk

James Kirk

That's odd, I can't. On the profile I'm doing it from it says (quite correctly) Featured Videos: You have not uploaded any videos yet. Appearances don't show up as an option...

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

You can only feature videos you uploaded.

Fernando Loureiro

Fernando Loureiro

i want to change the credit. today i am the owner of the video but i want to transfer it to another person and dont wanna be the owner anymore. Is it possible? Somebody help me, please.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry Fernando but that is not possible at this time. The other user will have to upload a video to his/her account separately.

Simon Bronson

Simon Bronson Plus

I too would like to see a streamlining of the same video on multiple accounts. Working in a design studio where a video is often uploaded by 3 or more artists seems overkill to me and wasting space if anything.

The appearance tab doesn't really cut it.

cheers.

Sergio Salgado

Sergio Salgado Plus

Say I shot/edited a video for someone who wants to use it on their Vimeo. If they list me in the Appearance/Credit section, will that video show up in the feed of my followers? Or do I have to upload the video to my own account to get my followers to see it in their feed?

Also, what's your stance on puppies?

Zach Eastburg

Zach Eastburg Plus

Recently finished small collaborative piece with 3 other people. It'd be great if we could just upload it once, and share stats, recognition.

Now with the tip system, this issue needs more attention.

ffd8

ffd8 Plus

Wow- just found this thread and am surprised a simple solution hasn't been enabled: for each + credits listing, just show the video in their profile along with their other films? Of course the person being credited might want a say in that and perhaps has the ability to remove it from their playlist = only one or maybe two additional columns in a database table. Fin.

Shane Coburn

Shane Coburn

Yes, please implement this already. The producer, director, and DP of a recent project want to all feature this on their profile pages. I cannot understand the case against this at all.

Ankinsa

Ankinsa

thats kind of strange that this thread is ongoing from last 2 years but hasn't done yet. Seems Vimeo too busy for such a simple highly wanted thing...
C'mon Vimmie bring it up..!!
Its Important. Even that will save your database from all the duplicate entries....
Waitin!!

Mathieu Gérard

Mathieu Gérard Plus

It will be a great feature to share video stats comments and likes between different owners !

Dirt Corps

Dirt Corps

Is Vimeo prioritizing this feature based on votes? If so, count mine too please. +1

It's a social world, we collaborate on our projects, of course we would want more of an equal stake in the product of our efforts!

Richard Paus

Richard Paus

Yes I totally agree. Every single person I know who uses Vimeo really wants to have this feature. VIMEO PLEASE! Give it to us.

Ivan Radovic

Ivan Radovic

2 years later... we still want this feature... please.

gegenlicht

gegenlicht

just finished a collaboration. 4 Vimeo Users, 2 of them are pro account users.3 of us have already uploaded the same Video. I have not uploaded it since its a shame we cant share the stats this way and I hate wasting resources. Even if its not my storage, it feels stupid. Still I would like to have the video listed in my Videos... Cant believe its not possible, this puzzles me. Copyright/responsibility issues?!

pamacado

pamacado

I wrote to the staff and created a post about this exact topic last week. I didn't saw this one until now.

+1

I'm very surprised about how a company is getting real and free feedback and doing nothing about it.

pamacado

pamacado

of course +1, but apparently it's more important to put cats everywhere instead of working on one of the most requested features.

John Glenn

John Glenn Plus

I suggest that the way to think about implementing this for video professionals is to make the credit linking work similarly to IMDB, add the ability to watch the videos (single upload), and provide access to aggregated play stats for the Pro account holders who are credited in the piece. Adding the ability to require payment and/or tip jar for viewing to this would expand it's appeal to professionals. Furthermore, if the credit linking could really be implemented like IMDB, including full cast and crew, Vimeo could become the hub for professionals looking for collaborators, talent, and services for a segment of the professional community that creates work that is for the most part not on IMDB and whose social media resources are limited. It's complicated, and doesn't fit what I imagine the core business mission of Vimeo to be, thereby making it low priority in the development queue, but somebody is going to make money on an idea like this--and at more than $200/year, I'd bet.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

Just so everyone is aware:

Vimeo currently allows you to "link" a video you did not upload to your account as long as you've been credited in it. You can then add it as one of the three featured videos on your profile, and it will always appear in the appearances tab of your videos.

The stats on videos you are credited in do not count towards your personal stats.

For more info see vimeo.com/help/faq/video#credits

Doug Hindson

Doug Hindson Plus

With all due respect, this still doesn't solve the key issue: that the video itself still appears to have one main owner/creator.

When you view a video on Vimeo the first thing most people take in is the title followed by the uploader's name.
Although there is a credit section most people don't even register it, or sometimes even the description.

Although it's great to be able to show videos you have 'appeared' in on your profile I don't think it's the way the vast majority of people interact with vimeo. Most people see our films on the video page itself, and if the people who have worked hard on a film don't get the credit they deserve then something in the design of your site is seriously wrong.

Just as a super simple example, the attached image shows a possible solution.

Link: 25.media.tumblr.com/6dec1c8bc0d2ec7e62827e24f5d972c8/tumblr_mkzof1e8tZ1qbu756o1_1280.jpg

Doug Hindson

Doug Hindson Plus

I would also take issue with the statement earlier in this thread by a staff member: ' i still believe this is a edge case'

Although there may only be a relatively small number of people complaining, I would wager most of the users on this site would benefit from such a change.
As we all know, a film is rarely the work of one person, however small the input from someone else.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey Doug,

I appreciate your feedback. Of course we agree that displaying those involved in a video is important, but it's also why we created this credit system. True the clip page will show the owner as the uploader, but if the video appears on your own profile as a featured video, and the credits section links to your profile with your name and picture, do you not see this as adequate?

"Branding" a video as owned by two different accounts when it's the same upload is a difficult thing to do, and from a UX standpoint may cause users more confusion then clarity when it comes to who was involved in the creation.

Maybe a more prominent credit system would suffice?

pamacado

pamacado

Doug, the possible solution you posted is exactly what we're all talking about.

Matt, please realize that we understand the job you guys are doing is difficult, but that's one of the main reasons we use vimeo instead of youtube. If you don't react to the valuable and free feedback that your own users are giving you, we may perceive that as an "we don't care" attitude, which we know is not the case.

Credit system bad.
Shared ownership good.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

I'm not saying that we wouldn't do something because it's hard, or that Vimeo does not care. The point is that we already have a system that seems to meet the needs that you're speaking about. The actual problem appears to be that people don't know about it.

We'll always look to improve the system, and maybe co-branding a clip page is the answer. But I think what Sox and our other staff members are communicating is that we've addressed this issue with our credit feature in a way that fits into Vimeo's UI, and makes sense to us.

We by no means discount this feedback and if something needs to be clearer we can revisit it, but right now we believe our credits system addresses the root issue of being able to "put one video on multiple accounts".

Mike Cook

Mike Cook

Just because I check back on this issue every three months or so to see if anything has developed (it hasn't) I'm going to weigh in here. Doug's solution (the uploaded image five posts above this) is exactly what I've been hoping to see for more than two years. It makes sense. It is simple, it allows visible, intuitive links to all the profiles involved, and there's only one video. The process of having to credit someone, create a link, and then only find the video under the appearances tab is ridiculous compared to the simple alternative that's been proposed and requested by everyone on this thread and others. My suggestion: create a "collaborations" tab that shows work that's been co-created (not just credited), and have said collaborative videos also show up in a user's main video section.

Mike Cook

Mike Cook

The disconnect that I'm seeing here is the staff's belief that credits are the same or at least equal to the concept of co-creating something. They aren't. In the credit system someone still comes out on top, someone still gets the stats, the links, the hits. Most people watching a video don't even glance at the credits section.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Michael,

We appreciate your feedback. This is an interesting solution and something we'll consider moving forward, though at the moment we are not revisiting the credits system.

It's worth mentioning however that even with a visual change to the clip page and profile page to display these "shared" videos on the same hierarchical level, things like stats, likes, comments, etc have to belong to one user – it's a technical limitation of our system.

Also, I think you may be misunderstanding the steps involved with the credits system: one only has to be added to a video's credits to be able to use that video in their own profile. From there you can add it to your feature videos sections and it will also appear in the Appearances tab by default. This doesn't seem much different than what you mentioned with the "Collaborations" tab.

Node Summit

Node Summit PRO

We can either upload a bunch of videos for our Pro Account, or get these from an existing Pro User who has already uploaded them. We do not want to "share credit" We just want to save the hassle of having to upload all of these since they are already sitting in Vimeo storage. My read of this is that it is not doable, and I need to upload all of these to our account, correct?

Seems like a massive waste of bandwidth.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

If you worked on the videos in the other account, they can credit you in them so they can appear in your account as well. Otherwise, you'll need to upload them to your own account.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry, but as the sticky comment at the top mentions, we provide a credits system and are not planning to make changes to how this works right now.

Bottleneck

Bottleneck

100%, positively, without/doubt AGREE with this need. I wonder how much server space is wasted on multiple uploads just to get collaborative work on respective pages.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Multiple uploads is pretty much unavoidable no matter what we do – members tend to forget some features exist. That said, the credits system is already suppose to address this issue by allowing you to place a video from another account on your profile page and in your appearances tab.

Matt Hannon

Matt Hannon Plus

I think the amount of comments on this thread alone showcases how many people would appreciate a feature where co-creators of a film can share in the same success of it. Statistics should be transferred across to all those credited in the film - what is the argument otherwise vimeo?

Seems like a ridiculous and very 'unvimeo' style of policy.

Swen Seyerlen

Swen Seyerlen Plus

Agree and another vote for this feature...

Well, there's the credit option, so why it's not available in my stats then (as indicated Videos/Appearances/Total)?

Please change!!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.