Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

By default, we currently create a 640px thumbnail. If the video is large enough, we also create a 1280px and 960px version respectively (we also create a bunch of smaller ones to display in search results, etc).

Based on the size of the player, we show the biggest possible version, but if the player isn't at least 960px wide OR the video isn't larger than 640px wide itself, we will always show the 640px thumbnail scaled to fit.

So what does this mean?

- If your video is 640px wide or smaller, you should embed the player at 640px or at the size of the original file to avoid the player scaling the thumbnail.

- If your video is at least 960px wide, you can embed the player at that size or smaller to get that higher res thumbnail. Once the player hits 640px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size.

- If your video is at least 1280px wide, you can embed the player at that size or smaller to get that higher res thumbnail. Once the player hits 960px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size. When it hits 640px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey all,

Just a general update on the thumbnail quality issue.

We're currently working on a new backend system to handle thumbnails, allowing us to generate new custom sized images on the fly so the thumbnail looks as good as possible regardless of player size, be it embedded or on Vimeo.com. It should also allow users to request any image size (up to the original video size) from our API (although that is on a different timeline).

We'll be sure to update folks when this goes live.

Camille Marotte

Camille Marotte Plus

Hi,

I always upload custom 1280x720 thumbnails for my videos that are always compressed in 640x360 I believe to match the default size on the site.

The problem is when embedding the video on other sites or blogs (or even groups) with a bigger default size like on Cargo websites it's pretty ugly, for example : cargocollective.com/neoheaven#792976/ESC-Stockholm-2010

I think you're trying because I can see a "refresh" of the thumbnail when loading a video, and that's is new I think.

Is it something we could se soon?

Camille Marotte

Camille Marotte Plus

So if on my Cargo I use 864px wide and upload a thumbnail according to this size it will show?

(If I click the fullscreen button on my video before playing it it shows the low def thumbnail stretch to 1280x720 :
vimeo.com/15663331)

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

the thumbnail size is chosen based on the player size (not full screen). so, using your example, if you are using 864px wide player, then then 640px wide thumbnail will be served.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

no, since we never produce 864px thumbnails.

Camille Marotte

Camille Marotte Plus

Only 640 and 1280?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have something in between, to improve quality over blogs and groups.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we generally produce 100, 200, 640 and 1280 thumbnails.

Jared Platt

Jared Platt PRO

I have never seen the JPG cover on a Vimeo video look good. They are always horrible, even though I upload a JPG that is the exact dimensions of the video I am uploading. That just seems ridiculous that the JPG can't be served up at whatever size is needed. The video is served to whatever size is needed. Isn't that more complicated. I can request a 680 pixel video width and it looks great, but the JPG (one frame) looks like crap and it is supposed to represent the entire video. Shameful that Vimeo has not fixed this glaring error yet. I have been requesting the change for years.

Look at any of my videos for examples of awful JPG cover images.

Link: vimeo.com/jaredplatt

Thomas Mansencal

Thomas Mansencal Plus

Soxiam : As you said the thumbnail was chosen depending the player size, I did a quick test, embeding a 1280x720 video with a 1280x720 thumbnail, then raising the player size to 1300x731 and it's obvious that the 720p thumbnail is not used.

Here are some images :

Thumbnail : thomasmansencal.com/Sharing/Others/Vimeo/marikaBase.jpg

Vimeo : thomasmansencal.com/Sharing/Others/Vimeo/marikaVimeo.jpg

Thumbnail With Hardcore Compression : thomasmansencal.com/Sharing/Others/Vimeo/marikaHighCompression.jpg

And the last one : I took the 720p image, scaled it down to 480p, highly compressed, then scaled back to 720p, the result is pretty close to what I currently get as High Quality Thumbnail : thomasmansencal.com/Sharing/Others/Vimeo/marikaHighCompressionScaledDownThenHigh.jpg

I would expect to have something at least close from the
"marikaHighCompression" one.

Voilà :)

Jared Platt

Jared Platt PRO

I am having the same issues. I think it is a poor decision for Vimeo to select one size thumbnail to operate as essentially, the FIRST IMPRESSION of our movies based on a small size when the movie may be watched in full screen. If the full HD video plays in full screen, why wouldn't the full HD thumbnail show in full screen. It only make sense.

I am having issues right on the vimeo site with this. Not even embedded, just right off my account, the JPF thumbnail for the movie look awful. They don't even look all that good in the initial sized video on the video page, then when I go to full screen it is deplorable.

I'd say that is a major failure.

The thumbnail is the first impression people get of our videos. We should have something that represents them well.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Thanks for the feedback. It is also important to remember that you can always upload your own thumbnail if you are not fully satisfied with the quality or thumbnails we create for you.

Simple

Simple PRO

Hi Blake, I think the issue is that even uploading a custom, high-res thumbnail of our own also results in poor quality display.

Can you point us to any documentation that clearly shows best practices for using custom thumbnails for vimeo videos?

Link: simplehq.com.au/#video

Jared Platt

Jared Platt PRO

Blake, that is not the problem. I am uploading my own JPG as a thumbnail and doing so in FULL HD 1920pixels (and subsequently have tried many pixel sizes lower to test it) and all of them, without fail are being sized down or severely compressed or both by Vimeo so they look poor in the main viewer on vimeo and they look awful, horrible, atrocious when increased to the full screen viewer. The video looks just fine, but the thumbnail is ridiculous.

I would like to have you explain why this is happening and how it can be fixed. I have searched around on the forums and the best I can tell, this is on purpose by vimeo that it is saving only a thumbnail for the size of the main viewer. I can't believe that vimeo wants all of their videos to have the first impression to look this bad.

Please explain.

Jared Platt

Jared Platt PRO

Here is an example of what I mean.

vimeo.com/19463303

In the main viewer, the poster frame looks poor, you can see that the compression vimeo has put on it is starting to pixelate the area around the text and then when you go into full screen mode, the photo is just trash. But as soon as you hit play, everything clears up and looks great because now we are watching the HD video. Why can't vimeo have as clean a JPG for the poster frame as it does a video?

Makes no sense.

Thomas Mansencal

Thomas Mansencal Plus

Blake : If you take a look at my previous comment, I think the images are self explanatory. It's very obvious that the wrong thumbnails are used at high resolution.

Cheers,

KS

Marc D'Amour

Marc D'Amour PRO

I'm new to the thread here but I'm running into the same issue and it's very frustrating. I'd love to be able to upload my own 1280 x 720 JPEG and have it look close to acceptable. Right now the compression on the thumbnails is ridiculous. I feel Vimeo has almost everything right but is overlooking this very important small detail. Anyone else figure out a workaround?

vimeo.com/9767667

Shahab Al Bahar

Shahab Al Bahar

im finding difficulty in trying to upload a vimeo video onto my cargo collective website. Any help is much needed!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

First, please create a new thread in the future if you have a question.

Can you explain the problem further? I suspect you are trying to embed video on your website? What kind of problems are you having?

Shahab Al Bahar

Shahab Al Bahar

okay sorry about that, will do next time!

Well I created a movie on imovie then uploaded it to vimeo. I have a website on cargo collective and when i copy the URL link to my movie and paste it on my website ...a window for the movie shows up but it has no content. As in when I click play it jumps to the next slide rather than playing the movie.

James W

James W

Any update on the HD thumbnails working or not?

Baldur Helgason

Baldur Helgason

I would also like to see this resolved. I am embedding my 1280x720 videos at 853x480 but the thumbnail is 640x360 scaled up. It would be much better if vimeo were using the 1280x720 thumbnail and scaled that down to 853x480, or what ever size one might be using that is higher the 640x360 but lower than 1280x720.

Van Rensburg Wedding Films

Van Rensburg Wedding Films Plus

Hi Blake, Soxiam. It's been 4 months since your last post to this thread and I would also like a reply to some of the questions asked. I am working on a new site and have just done the embed of my front page video and find it unacceptable that the Vimeo image looks this bad. This really does leave a bad taste in the mouth after working so hard to get everything else spot on.

Justin Evidon

Justin Evidon

I would also appreciate a response on this matter. This has been an ongoing issue for me over the past 2 years, but with the growing interest in showing embedded videos at larger sizes has made this issue even more prevalent.

Kristof Luyckx

Kristof Luyckx Plus

I almost got me a plus-account, because I thought this was the only thing I needed to embed movies at 840x473px. With a sharp thumbnail of course. I understand I need to be 'plus' to embed my HD movies, and that's why I get nasty scaled-up 640px thumbnails. But this isn't possible even for plus users?
Although it seems possible: turbonerd.com/content/5188

Martin Messier

Martin Messier Plus

No, it's not possible, I am a plus user and I encounter the same issue. It's quite bad.

Christopher Kerr

Christopher Kerr

Looking for a solution to this as well. Everything is perfect except for the low quality thumbnails. I have tried all the suggestions on the Forums here, even the three year old thread were a staff member said they would include this ;)

Anyways, just adding my support for this feature, it is really needed. Even having the embed video at HD and uploading your own there is no difference, it still has a low rez thumbnail.

Jezz Dalgarno

Jezz Dalgarno Plus

Since a high res version is created, why not simply allow us to choose? I'm embedding at 910 x 510, so I get the lower res version which looks pretty poor, I'd like to be able to specify the higher res version. I have vids embedded at 1280 by 720 and it doesn't select a higher quality thumbnail, so that suggests that feature is not currently working.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Can you point us to the URL where the 1280 thumbnail isn't loading so we can check it out?

Maurice Labrecque

Maurice Labrecque Plus

This same issue has been super frustrating for me as well. I would love to see this problem addressed.

I upload a crystal clear jpeg to use as the thumbnail, and it looks like crap. Jezz's example above is exactly what I have seen.

Bulls+Arrows

Bulls+Arrows Plus

So is this resizing issue with HD thumbnails being uploaded but not being displayed being looked at?

Surely it's easy for Vimeo to adjust it so that if a player is 910 x 510, it will display the 1280 x 720 thumb, rather than upscale a 640 image to look crap?

Jet Kaiser Films

Jet Kaiser Films PRO

It's hard for me to understand how this is still a problem. Al my thumbnails look like trash on my blog and it's been that way for a long while. Too bad that smaller thumbnails are blown up to fit larger videos. Doesn't make sense.

José López-Montes

José López-Montes Plus

I´d love Vimeo being able to see sharp thumbnails also in Full HD size. I think that must be a priority for vimeo programmers. It´s difficult to believe that this issue is really so hard to be fixed.

Gary Gorrow

Gary Gorrow

Is there a solution to poor quality thumbnails! I have the same problem as everyone else, but from my research it seems nothing can be done. Is this correct. I'll have to switch to youtube.

Nareas Sae-Khow

Nareas Sae-Khow Plus

Come on Vimeo, you should be able to fix this issue? Pretty please? :)

NE-ODVISEN.SI

NE-ODVISEN.SI

How can I fetch 1280 thumbnail image via API?

Neko Films

Neko Films

Hey Ziga, did you get any help on this? im using the tubepress plugin and its pulling the smallest img url.

Im struggling trying to find a way for it to call the larger image url...

id really appreciate if you can share any of your findings! :)

Eric Dies

Eric Dies Plus

I just uploaded a custom Thumb and it seemed to resolve the issue on my embeds.

Focus Media

Focus Media Plus

So... anyone from the Staff care to respond to this? It's obviously a problem and many people are upset. "we're looking into it" or "we understand your concern and we are in the process of correcting this issue", anything like that would suffice rather than just silence. Please respond to this post. Thanks.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

There are two issues here. One is that, due to a bug, we weren't generating 1280 thumbnails for some of the HD videos uploaded. Another bug was that we were serving 1280 thumbnails even when the videos were being embedded at 1280. We're looking into both of these issues.

Separate from this, we're rethinking the viability of 1280 thumbnails. As you may know, storage for these high res thumbnails cost a lot of money and processing while its actual usage is extremely minuscule.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

In general PNG-24 files tend to be much larger in file size for comparable quality.

mountainworkshops.org

mountainworkshops.org Plus

I've been trying to figure out a way to get a smooth transition between the thumbnail and the first frame of the video, png was just a thought with the use of the transparency property.

No matter what I try there always seems to be that black blip after clicking play. We would love to be able to match the first frame of a video with the thumbnail to work in an Aftereffects treatment with type in a smooth way. know this is a detail but as they say God is in the details.

Even a fade out for the thumbnail would help. You guys offer the best server for the money by far, thank you for that.

Blip Example
stories.mountainworkshops.org/workshop/2010/video/31/chris-langer-rising-star/

Fade Example
mediastorm.com/publication/three-women

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

ken

Marnix

Marnix Plus

Perhaps this would be a simple solution to solve the thumbnail quality requests/problems:

When using the custom thumbnail, predefine a maximum size, let's say 200kb for HD video and 100kb for SD video (both not much compared to the video itself) and use exactly this custom thumnail without re-compression.

if the video is larger then SD (640-480px) always use the HD thumbnail and when it's smaller then 400x300px use the tiny vimeo (100px/200px) generated thumbnails.

this way people can optimise their thumbnails for their own use and can control the quality themselves without having to worry about the vimeo re-compression.

So if you'd embed it on your own site only in a 900x675 resolution you'd be able to set this size thumbnail to be the HD thumbnail and you know it will always look perfect.

And if this still taking more bandwidth then usual, then at least consider it a feature for Plus/Pro users, as they pay money and are in general more concerned about the aesthetics of their video placement (it's why they want to pay for it..)

Jonas Naimark

Jonas Naimark Plus

I too would love to see higher rez thumbnails. I embed my videos at 900 pixels wide and I assume the low rez thumbs are being served because they look crunchy. I'd love for Vimeo to use the 1280x720 thumbs and scale them down accordingly so everything looks sharp.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We have some plans to update the quality of the video thumbnails and which versions get served. It's a part of a much bigger release we have planned so it will take some time.

Jonas Naimark

Jonas Naimark Plus

Thanks for the info Soxiam, can't wait to see the new release :)

Iain Robinson

Iain Robinson

Yeap. Lo rez thumbnails are preventing me from using vimeo as I was intending. Im embedding mine 900 pix wide and like some other users here. Right when I bought the plus membership too.. doh.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We're re-examining the thumbnail size and quality, and perhaps even some nice tool to help users choose the exact image they want from the video, as part of a larger project we are currently working on. We cannot comment on its expected ship date yet but I can tell you that it's one of our highest priority projects.

Jeff Dotson

Jeff Dotson

Thanks Guys! Looking forward to this!

Alex Padgett

Alex Padgett Plus

Looks like I was not the only one having the same issue! I would love to have crisp thumbnails for my website. I Hope this issue would be resolved soon :)

BURO RENG

BURO RENG Plus

Eager to see this major release!
Update of HD thumbs is highly appriciated.

Apostrophe

Apostrophe PRO

This is still a problem for me, looking forward to it being fixed.

Paul Koziorowski

Paul Koziorowski

This is a huge problem.. I really hope that they do fix it.

Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders Plus

I have been struggling with this all along. I cannot wait to see it work out or hope it does. I upload a custom 1280 thumb and then it just looks so bad either full screen or smaller before play or full screen button is touched. To have video quality here done so well and look better than a still is just hard to wrap the brain around. Please hurry.... & thank you.

One Heart Films

One Heart Films Plus

I've always used, complimented and promoted Vimeo, but had never had to embed videos full page until recently. Like everyone else, I'm very disappointed with this thumbnail issue. Together with the search-ability, these are probably my two main concerns with this platform, which I otherwise adore.

Soxiam, has there been any progress on this front in the last 30 days?

Christopher Watson

Christopher Watson Plus

It seems like next to encoding video in various formats, and intelligently serving them up to different devices, high quality thumbnails should be a cakewalk.

This issue is the one reason why I don't use Vimeo for all the video embedded on my site. The thumbnail is just not high quality enough currently to be a representation of what I want my viewers to see. I hope it's updated quickly. There are definitely many, many users who would benefit from this, and surely new paying customers as a result.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

As I stated above, it's something we are working on right now and hope to roll out as part of a larger release.

KRANKED

KRANKED Plus

We would pay extra for higher quality.

Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders Plus

The thumbnail on the default vimeo page for my video is 640p wide and looks good. If I embed it at 1000 on my tumblr site, it looks good, why then if I embed on my own regular site at 700p, the size i need there, it falls apart, but if i make it 640, it looks good again, but then i am wasting space i'd rather see used.

Whatever and whenever this maybe fix happens, please just let the thumbnail always be HD if our video is HD and not a complex system of russian roulette hoping we find the magic spot for the thumbnail size. We have the embed option to make our videos whatever size we wish, awesome, excellent, please let the thumb be HD at any size we choose. Thanks

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Part of the reason we are trying to find an intelligent solution for this is because always serving a largest thumbnail image is a HUGE drain on our resources.

David Bryan

David Bryan Plus

Looking forward to this updated. I'm really tired of HD embed videos having a compressed, low res thumbnail.

phoelscher

phoelscher

ha i just read the whole thread from 1year ago till now, hope its gonna get updated soon.

Baratti

Baratti PRO

I have the same problem, its more evident when you use texts in your thumbnail. I'm not shure is the resolution or the compresion, but the quality sucks!! Do you have a solution it's been almost a year!!

wise visions

wise visions

Same issues here. Video quality is 1280x720 but my player is 960x540. It's displaying the 640x thumbnail.

Why is this such an issue? Upon looking in your embed code, I found the URL that is generated for the 640x thumbnail: b.vimeocdn.com/ts/242/821/242821907_640.jpg

Just for fun, I changed 640 by 1280 and the image already exists: b.vimeocdn.com/ts/242/821/242821907_1280.jpg

Why can't you just change the code in the embed? It's one line of code.

style = " background-image: url(b.vimeocdn.com/ts/242/821/242821907_640.jpg) ; " data-thumb = " b.vimeocdn.com/ts/242/821/242821907_640.jpg "

Anyways, will there be a fix for this anytime soon? Thanks for your support.

Article19

Article19 Plus

it appears that HD thumbs are in the new Vimeo coming in a few weeks so time for some rejoicing!

David Bryan

David Bryan Plus

Article19 where did you see this? Can you share the link?

David Bryan

David Bryan Plus

Aww the bottom of this page vimeo.com/new "Super-sharp 960-pixel thumbnails on the video page" I can't wait to see that how well the new system works.

Tim Lee

Tim Lee Plus

Googled this problem and it brought me here; I saw the first post and thought "It started a year ago? This thread has to be abandoned/there had to have been a solution by now." Still going strong

seanhanna

seanhanna PRO

+1 at Tim Lee, it makes my videos look unappealing to visitors and damages my brand.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I've stated this above but we are already testing higher quality thumbnails in the new Vimeo we are testing now.

motoko | creative motion design

motoko | creative motion design Plus

So what's the status now? I'm using the vimeo api and the thumbnail_large is 640 pixels wide. that's the largest thumb I retrieve.

Peter Beeh

Peter Beeh Plus

I've been waiting for ever for this. It's such an important issue for good quality thumbnails to be served. Thumbnails must be taken out of the low resolution dark ages.

Digital Media Evolution

Digital Media Evolution PRO

Maybe if you could add the option to use your own thumbnail hosted from your own server. This would be a nice feature to add to the Pro service. A placeholder somewhere in the embed code so you don't have to be a code jockey to figure it out would be a big help too.

Javier Ideami

Javier Ideami Plus

dear Soxiam, that after over a year of Vimeo customers complaining this hasnt been solved is puzzling, you talked about drain of resources, you are serving HD videos with thousands of Frames each in HD quality and you cannot on top of that store One Single HD quality thumbnail? You dont need to store it in TIFF or PSD format, you can store it simply in JPEG at 60% quality but in 1280x720 at least and that will make it look decent which is all we want, because right now it looks UnProfessional and thats not nice for paying plus customers thats for sure, we shouldnt put the excuse of the drain in resources because by doing things efficiently the thumbnail will only be 1 more frame together with thousand other frames in HD quality on each video; I love vimeo but if you keep dealing with such basic things at such slow speed other companies are going to catch up with you soon; decent quality thumbnails for paying customers is kind of a basic issue

Javier Ideami

Javier Ideami Plus

honestly, do we really deserve to see these low resolution thumbnails at our websites when we are so called plus customers?; at minimum i should see a 1280x720 60% quality plain Jpeg which occupies nothing in space together with the other thousands of HD frames in each of the videos; I do want to add that i have always loved Vimeo and i still do, and i think you have done a wonderful job in every way, but in this issue of the thumbnails i have waited for long and failed to find a reason to justify this issue despite your attempts at explaining it, and its sad when that happens to paying customers as this is not a free service, and having decent thumbnails is kind of a.. basic.. issue, no? :)

Javier Ideami

Javier Ideami Plus

correct me if im wrong, but i play one of my videos in vimeo and i pause it in the middle, and the quality of that paused frame is much better than the quality of the thumbnail; if you made the quality of the thumbnail at least as good as the compressed video frames of the video, well at least that would be something and in terms of server space you would be storing 9001 instead of 9000 frames, or 20000 instead of 19999, or 5001 instead of 5000, is that such a problem really? :)

Preuit Holland

Preuit Holland Plus

Have to add my voice here. I just tried out my "new" Vimeo layout and say "no way." Those "thumbnails" looked pretty bad in the old Vimeo layout but now it really is embarrassing. C'mon.

Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders Plus

Why on a Vimeo view of a thumbnail can we make it full screen without hitting play yet once the video is embed elsewhere, I get a "available while playing" warning? Shouldn't I be able to just hit full screen then play for a better experience? Why am I now forced to hit play first and not full screen first?

So bad to take away features simply because its not viewed on Vimeo.

This gets to the same issue of low res thumbnails too. We've been begging, literally begging for this for so long... Not only is this yet not addressed, now Vimeo has removed features and degraded the experience of viewing embeds elsewhere on top of poor quality thumbs.

Fisheye Studio

Fisheye Studio Plus

I can see where this is going, south. Good people of vimeo, if space is a problem, deal with it, we are paying plus holders and our monies going somewhere right, maybe bigger servers are on the cards. lets get to the point, man up and catch up, even you tube have nice looking 16:9 aspect thumbs nail....hmmm..nothing like a bit of competition to raise your game. C'mon vimeo.

Patrick McBride

Patrick McBride

Hoping to see this soon. I am a new subscriber to Vimeo and the new version of the site looks fantastic... but any thumbnails I try to upload look hideous on the huge player!

The ultimate would just be a way to choose an exact frame from the video on Vimeo and use that frame in it's HD quality as the thumbnail.

Extraneous Noise

Extraneous Noise Plus

Just wanted to add to the chorus of Plus users... we really need full HD quality stills as thumbnails on the large player. Please add this ASAP.

Suzanne Conte

Suzanne Conte Plus

I, too, would liked to throw my two cents in. Many custom thumbnails I previously uploaded, which looked decent before, now look awful in both small and large form on the new Vimeo. Please don't tell me I have to add a new custom thumbnail in a higher res to all my videos...

Java Post Production

Java Post Production Plus

I can see I am definitely not alone on wanting the thumbnails to look way better. I have been using the "New Vimeo" a lot and giving some feedback through it. The new default viewer may be 960x540, but there is no way that the thumbnail image is super crisp. I always upload my own "Highest Quality" jpg that matches the HD video's frame size. The image that is displayed in the viewer looks like it a very low quality jpg blown up to fit.
This has been how things have looked for the last couple years since I started using Vimeo. Please offer HD quality thumbnails in the new Vimeo.

Jarbrain

Jarbrain Plus

Hey everyone,

Had a quick read of this thread and I am really surprised to see the issue since exist after one year or more; compression of thumbnails either SD or HD. I would have thought implementing the thumbnails would be easy and not a major stress on the resources; compared to steaming HD videos, etc.

Working with compressed images in my job as a designer, I decided to look into different formats like .png's [-8 & -24], .gif's, jpg's, .tga's, .tiff's; etc.

From my research, I find all formats [that I have listed above] results the same poor compression issue; however I find the .jpeg format resulted a better compression with HD images but it's not perfect either 70% or 100% quality. I believe it's to do with the file size of the thumbnail images; so if you have access to Adobe Photoshop and use it's compression feature - 'save for web & devices' option to adjust the file size and format.

It may not be great as full HD but it's a step away from poor automated thumbnails.

Kind regards,
Jarbrain

Richard De Souza

Richard De Souza Plus

With the new Vimeo layout the auto generated thumbnails seem to be a lot sharper/better quality than an uploaded thumbnail. Unfortunately the auto thumbs are not generated on any of my older videos, short of re-upping all my old videos to generate new thumbnails is there anything that can be done to improve uploaded thumbnail images for the splash image?

rocket science shorts

rocket science shorts

I agree, thumbnails are of such low quality here..it seems. I wish we had a better output system developed for em...

Silly Goose Films

Silly Goose Films Plus

I thought with all the new and updated website stuff today that we would get better thumbnail quality.

The images I make up in Photoshop are nowhere near what shows up in Vimeo.

Please fix!

David Holicek

David Holicek Plus

Vimeo staff, here's the issue as I see it:

1. As of April 2012, Vimeo does have HD thumbnails. However, these thumbnails are auto-generated based on random frames from the video. Most users want to choose an exact frame. This is currently not possible.

2.If the user wishes to upload their own HD thumbnail, the thumbnail is not served at the proper resolution and is instead downscaled to the horrible 640 res.

3. Those of us who are paying for "Plus" accounts expect this kind of functionality.

Modio

Modio Plus

looking forward to this feature!

Preuit Holland

Preuit Holland Plus

Gee, I'm looking forward to a fix for this, too, but I don't think of having decent-looking images representing my work as a "feature." I sort of expect this "problem" to be addressed, and sooner rather than later. But I've been waiting for over a year and I see nobody at Vimeo paying any attention to it.

I upload a 1280x720 video and, looking at the embed on my site, I see the still image that I supplied has been downgraded to a whopping 295x166 pixels and 5k. Seriously?

C'mon, guys. Take a few minutes and fix this.

This "thumbnail" issue is embarrassing. Please.

Thanks so much.

Preuit Holland

Preuit Holland Plus

Ok, before I make a complete fool of myself, I just investigated this further and drilling down into the iframe the video is in, I see that Vimeo is actually offering up BOTH a 640 and a 295 pixel wide still frame. I guess my problem is that I don't understand the API or something and can't figure out why the image looks so awful, particularly in fullscreen mode where both look terrible.

I still think this is an issue in general on Vimeo, I guess because every time I sign on to the site, it's the one thing that leaps out at me, particularly with the new layout, which is scaling up some older SD content, and it's already resolution challenged.

Mark Brown

Mark Brown Plus

The thumbnails look bad. Especially uploaded custom thumbnails. Count me among the many on this bandwagon hoping for a fix in the near future.

matt kohr

matt kohr Plus

Agreed - any updates in this area would be hugely appreciated. It's a shame, because EVERYTHING else about the vimeo UI is so wonderful! thanks for the hard work, and I look forward to a fix.

Kakidesign

Kakidesign Plus

I dont understand how to make good quality animation.
I export my film as more than like explain 1920 X 1174 (special format because at beginning it was flash animation), MP4, H264, 12000 kbit/s, multi pass, 25 images/frame...
and the quality is so bad ! vimeo.com/41496498 By random one time I made it better but full screen was not so good so i was trying doin it cleaner but at the end, the weight go up and the quality stay same. Does someone have any ideas why it do it like this ?

Extraneous Noise

Extraneous Noise Plus

Any word on this? We're going to have to switch to another video service if this isn't going to be fixed ASAP.

Bayly & Moore

Bayly & Moore PRO

Heya Vimeo baby,

Just to add our voice to the mix; We heart you, but your thumbnails suck. You're like the hot girl in class with bad breath. Any chance we can use some mouthwash and get this thumbnail vibe rolling? I don't get how, in my video feed, there's all of these glorious razor sharp thumbnails on other people's vids, and then when I upload a super sharp hi-res thumbnail for one of ours, it looks like a fuzzy image from a security camera...

Talk to me. (Did I mention we love Vimeo?)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Plus

Hot girl in class with bad breath .... You sir, win this thread.

MILK Tailor Made Books

MILK Tailor Made Books PRO

I can't stress enough how much we need a fix for this, we signed up for a pro account thinking we'd have super nice hd quality video and thumbnails but instead get served up this horrible upscaled jpg on the homepage of our site, the video looks great when u hit play but the thumbnail is shocking and ruined the homepage :(

Uriel Santisteban

Uriel Santisteban Plus

Bayli & Moore: That is exactly my same question, I was afraid to ask maybe because I'm just a beginner. But in my feed I always see videos with super sharp thumbnails, how do they do it? I love Vimeo, it would be great if they fix this by the time I release my next Video... :)

Constance Humphries

Constance Humphries Plus

Yep, after reading this entire thread, I have to say, I will be switching to a new service provider if I can't get a high quality leading image that I can upload...I cannot put this on my website and expect to be taken seriously.

Jim Aikman

Jim Aikman Plus

Yikes, Vimeo is really losing my support right now. A year long thread for such a simple problem that everyone is experiencing?! Jeez.

53nord

53nord Plus

Are you Vimeo guys working on it? There is now answer since 3 month.

Ids Aalbers

Ids Aalbers Plus

This is going on for year now, why isn't this adressed? Especially pictures with sharp color edges look downright terrible, not Vimeo worthy at all (vimeo.com/42994474)

NewSpring Church

NewSpring Church PRO

We would love to see a fix for this as well. It's terribly annoying when trying to embed and you can't get a clean, professional look. Thanks for looking into this!

Eric Kissack

Eric Kissack PRO

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people hoping to see higher quality thumbnail images for our videos. Thanks!

Cambridge Nanny Group

Cambridge Nanny Group PRO

When we send out videos to clients, we want the presentation to look professional. For the last 2 weeks the thumbnails have been of terrible quality, even with a 1080p PNG file. Before that, they all uploaded fine. Is there a fix coming for this?

Courting Whale Pictures

Courting Whale Pictures Plus

in an earlier comment, Soxiam (staff) mentioned part of the reason was a huge drain on Vimeo resources. I would of thought this would have been negligible compared to the streaming video, but in any case, I for one would be more than happy with the ability to specify a (self hosted) image URL in the embed code. I am currently having to restrict the size of the embedded videos on my site just because the thumnails are too ugly if i go much wider than 640px

Extraneous Noise

Extraneous Noise Plus

There's been no comment from Vimeo staff on this issue in 3 months. Considering that this thread is filled with comments from paying Plus and Pro users, could you at least give us the courtesy of an update one way or the other.

routedesvins.com

routedesvins.com PRO

Dissapointed to pay a monthly fee and not having a simple feature like that. We seriously need this.

Oliver Chaffe

Oliver Chaffe Plus

I would also like to chime in with a vote for better thumbnails. It's a disappointing aspect of an otherwise great service.

Bon Appetempt

Bon Appetempt Plus

Yes. We would love an update on this. Totally respect that the Vimeo staff has a lot on their plate, and that you guys are working hard to make the service better, but the thumbnail issue is a huge one for me and most of my friends that use Vimeo... it's the poster for the video and it's super frustrating how soft these thumbnails look -- kinda degrades the whole package/experience. Any update would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Librato

Librato PRO

oh great. Thumbnails seem to be partially broken now. When I upload a jpg it shows up in a small format (i.e. when looking at the page with all the videos I have uploaded) but when navigate to the video's page (large version) the thumbnail is just black.
I uploaded a 1280x720 jpg file.

Link: vimeo.com/43772819

Scott Geersen

Scott Geersen Plus

Quality on thumbnails and poster-frames:
+1 for either a self hosted video thumbnail to remove drain on vimeo resources. Allowing GIF or JPG could help with filesize and the ability to compress an image better depending on content (gif for more illustration-style thumbnails/poster frames.
OR
+1 for better quality thumbnails for Pro or Plus user accounts please. We pay for this so I think the thumbnail could be better.

Vignette Creative

Vignette Creative PRO

We embed our videos at fairly high resolution and would love to see some higher quality thumbnails available. The vimeo embed is a huge part of a recent responsive-design project we're working on, and the embed has the potential to scale up very large. We absolutely need a higher quality thumbnail to work with.

Add to the mix the advent of the retina display and it's even more important for these thumbnails to be as crisp as the video.

NINDO

NINDO Plus

I googled if HD thumbs on Vimeo were possible.

I found this topic, saw it was over a year old.

I thought "well by now, this should be solved and possible. Vimeo never let me down before after all."

But the more I scrolled down, the more my dissapointment grew. :(

C'mon Vimeo, you never get a second chance at a first impression. HD thumbs should be possible, it's 2012 after all.

NINDO

NINDO Plus

And a big thanks for the work otherwise Vimeo-staff. I wouldn 't be critical if it weren't for the high standards I'm thankful for from Vimeo in the first place!

Velare Imaginarium

Velare Imaginarium Plus

Just figured I'd chime in so that Vimeo knows lots of people are waiting for a resolution to this problem. I hate that gorgeous videos on vimeo, embedded into my site/blog look horribly unprofessional at first glance. First impressions are important! I upload my own jpg, 1280x720. and whatever vimeo compresses it too, it doesn't look too horrible on vimeo itself (is that player 960x540?) But when embedding my video to a similar size, it apparently uses a different and much more compressed thumbnail. Why can't it just use the one you see when you view the video on vimeo?

Foundwaves

Foundwaves Plus

HD thumbnails - when is it going to happen!?!

MySite

MySite

Dear Vimeo,
Please, Please, Please. HD Thumbnails Please.

Flow Films

Flow Films Plus

Hit me with your HD thumbnails baby we're in the age of Retina for pasta's sake!!

Modio

Modio Plus

We desperately want HD Thumbnails since we're displaying videos at 960x540 on our site - it's embarrassing to have low quality images as the placeholder.

PLEASE VIMEO!!!

Beyond Measure

Beyond Measure Plus

Guess they have their heads in the sand on this one. . . Vimeo, you need to come out and play on this one. We all would like the poster for our videos to look like they should. We put time and effort into designing these only to have them downscaled and for lack of a better word, destroyed.

Baaron Schulte

Baaron Schulte

HD Thumbnails would be great. I know you're working on it Vimeo, you guys/girls rule!! Thanks for such a great site and listening to all our feedback.

Rock on!

Irrum

Irrum Plus

I'm really surprised Vimeo has dropped the ball on this one. It should have been fixed by now.

Poetica

Poetica

If you don't want to give it to people who have free accounts, I completely understand - but I don't see why this can't be done for people who PAY for vimeo services. If nothing else, it gives people another reason to sign up and give you money.

NAMENAME

NAMENAME Plus

Totally Agree to this. I expected this as standard for plus and pro users.

Josh Redman

Josh Redman Plus

just putting in my vote - high quality thumbnails should be standard these days!

Blue Pencil Productions

Blue Pencil Productions Plus

Its very annoying this hasnt been addressed and fixed yet. They've made it so you can select your thumbnail from the vid which is great but it still looks compressed as does the thumbnail upload option.

motoko | creative motion design

motoko | creative motion design Plus

I use the Vimeo API by requesting a serialized string of data using vimeo.com/api/v2/video/{$video_id}.php

This gives me 3 thumbnails: thumbnail_small, thumbnail_medium and thumbnail_large
The thumbnail_large is 640 pixels wide. Even when I upload a custom thumbnail at 1280x720, it always returns a 640 pixels wide thumb. Why? Is there a workaround?

LucidWay

LucidWay Plus

Just signed up for PLUS account... had no idea this was an issue. Please give some guidance on when this will be resolved.

Schutz

Schutz PRO

Same thumbnail issue here.

I came from the first post (1 year ago) and as I was scrolling down the hope for high quality thumbnail continued. Unfortunately, here we are, 1 year later, with no solution on this issue. I'm very disappointed, since this is messing up with ou beautiful home page layout.

I waste a lot of time uploading and re-uploading thumbnail images thinking the problem was on my side. Very disappointing.

Link: schutz-shoes.com

Fig

Fig PRO

This is really still open?! What are we paying for??

Fig

Fig PRO

Does my Plus Account money not cover the hosting of a few large images?

Johnny

Johnny

Dear Vimeo
Please fix this issue asap!
What are you doing to your thumbnails?
They don't deserve it.
Stop abusing them it's not your style.
Just tried a .jpg gif and png at 1280 x 720.
No good vimeo, No good.

Link: vimeo.com/49226165

Modio

Modio Plus

This issue really does need to be fixed - it's been quite embarrassing to have a grainy thumbnail on the front of an HD video...

modio.tv/

RaDiance Conseil

RaDiance Conseil Plus

Hello Vimeo,

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people here, hoping you'll enable higher quality thumbnail images for our videos, at least for paying members. To be honest, I've just subscribed a few weeks ago and then I faced this issue. Now I'm looking for another solution than Vimeo to host my videos with a perfect thumbnail / poster.

Look how it looks horrible on my site. We're a team of creatives in the web-design field and we can't sell high standards websites to our customers while showing them terrible thumbnails on our videos : radianceconseil.com/sites-e-commerce/

Peter Kempkes

Peter Kempkes Plus

The quality of the thumbnails/posters is really poor. This thread is about 1 year old. No one from the Vimeo team cares more about. Now I must look for another solution. Disappointing. I was always a big fan of Vimeo ...

Agence Television

Agence Television Plus

+ 10.
At least update your answer and tell us what's going on
Communication please...

Dino Muhic

Dino Muhic Plus

Any update on this?

I wouldn't mind taking the server load of the thumbnail off you by linking it to my own server if it's possible, just to be able to have HD thumbnails. So let us at least link the file externally.

Thanks

Tekkers IT Solutions

Tekkers IT Solutions Plus

Same as the above poster. Just signed up for a plus account because I was after the HD content, only to find the Thumbnail (used as front page on our website!) looks grainy, very unprofessional.

Landon Donoho

Landon Donoho Plus

Yes plz. A lot of people use flavors.me, and the quality is terrible for the thumbnails.

Dominic

Dominic Plus

Would like to see this resolved as well !

Unique Models

Unique Models PRO

Hey guys. Know you're super busy, but have a question;
Pretty weird. Your auto posters are all stretched out, which seems strange as they worked fine when we tried another 'odd' format ´. Is it something we're doing wrong?
Same problem on all our videos.

Fig

Fig PRO

HD thumbnails, guys. Host them yourself or allow us to. Please make it happen.

Fabian Frost

Fabian Frost Plus

Guys, I thought by beeing a plus member things like this would NEVER be a problem. And now I see this open unresolved thread! One year? Seriously?

Agent8 Design

Agent8 Design Plus

Hi Vimeo Support,

Is there any update on this topic or are you not going to implement HD poster frames?

I'm surprised by the number of comments here but no response from support. 8 months ago Soxiam said you were testing HD poster frames in a new version of Vimeo. Is this feature a dead end?

If so please let me know and I'll have to take my clients business elsewhere.

Thanks,
Nick.

Room60

Room60 Plus

Vimeo Support,

It really would be great if this can be solved after all this time. Thumbnails are served as HD on vimeo.com and look great. But look really poor when embedded into an external site.

I want a showreel of my work to be front and centre on my homepage at 890px wide, but the resolution of the thumbnail is awful even though I've uploaded it at FullHD and it can be found stored on your site at 1280px. The text is noticeably bad when scaled up from 640px.

I don't want the first impression of my site to be the poor resolution of the showreel frame.

Is there any work being done to fix this? Thanks.

Link: secure-b.vimeocdn.com/ts/365/798/365798953_1280.jpg

Zach Eastburg

Zach Eastburg Plus

Why hasn't this issue been addressed? It's ironic you will never see the HD thumbnail even on the official vimeo site because their video player isn't 1280 and only a player that size will load it.

I'd say they need to always use the HD thumbnail no matter what. Bandwidth might be a concern, so instead you guys could hide that option under video settings - an "always hd thumbnail" setting please!

NAMENAME

NAMENAME Plus

It is very annoying that this isn't possible for users who pay for the service. In my opinion this should be standard for hd-videos, otherwise it is a big dissonance.

Peter Kempkes

Peter Kempkes Plus

Just subscribed for another year PlusMember. And again: HD thumbnails, guys!!!

Stephen Shevchuk

Stephen Shevchuk Plus

If the problem IS bandwidth, let us host the thumbnails elsewhere as an option...

Ra-ey Saleh

Ra-ey Saleh Plus

Guys,
I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but I just re-uploaded the HD jpeg I originally used as my thumbnail and now it retains it's resolution :-)
Very happy!
Thanks,
Ra-ey

Adam Grabowski

Adam Grabowski Plus

I think the issue is HD thumbnails when a video is embedded on an external site, which dosen't look like has been resolved yet

antonio alucema

antonio alucema

Ugh... guess this isn't a priority for vimeo since they feel like chasing instagram filters is more important to them. I just resorted to hosting my own .mp4's and HD thumbnails to show up properly on my cargo site. So...guess i'll pass on renewing my plus membership and use that $ to pay for my hosting.

FBM Rewards

FBM Rewards

For this sole reason i believe i will be canceling my services.

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

This thread is two years old and the thumbnails still look like crap???

Crowley Digital

Crowley Digital PRO

Guys, I just spent a ton of money creating some great vids for clients -- they wanted to go you-tube, I steered them away --even convinced them to upgrade their current account to vimeo pro. Then I got down to the last and final yard ... custom thumbs. This proved very embarrassing -- as the thumbs are as we all know -- inferior. I pay almost $200 for being a pro. I recognize its more data storage, but at least give us a shot at paying more for the luxury. Come on guys, the people are talking, are you guys listening? BC

Z MEDIA

Z MEDIA Plus

I completely agree with this. We need quality thumbnails!

MN8 / Jake Sargeant

MN8 / Jake Sargeant Plus

This is a huge achilles heel with Vimeo. So many plus and pro members have every right to expect this for what they pay per month or year.

STAFF, can we at least get an update on this?

HEIMPLANET

HEIMPLANET Plus

I really don't get it... I started reading this thread and thought: What did I wrong? This must be possible! Now I'am asking: What's wrong with you? The last Staff comment is about 1 year ago...

Daniel Zander

Daniel Zander Plus

I have to agree with the rest of the comments... Give us an answer please. And give us HD thumbnails!

Judith Adong

Judith Adong

Why is it that when I share my video, my selected thumbnail or poster preview doesn't come through with it?

Moon Caine

Moon Caine

Quality thumbnail option would be much appreciated here.

Kristof Luyckx

Kristof Luyckx Plus

Still waiting to finally show my animations on my website only a little bigger than 640px, with a descent thumbnail naturally.. :(
Are there plans to solve this in the near future?

Nicole Campbell

Nicole Campbell Plus

This needs to be fixed. I put my new portfolio site together and decided to pay for Plus only to find out later that the thumbnails look like absolute garbage (and that's putting it mildly) when you embed the video. Designers are using your service to show off their work. These low res jpegs really hurt the first impression.

Jeremy Dempe

Jeremy Dempe

I'm glad I found this thread and considering that its been consistently posted on for about 2 years I'm surprised Vimeo hasn't done anything about it. I have been trying everything today to load a cover image that isn't trash and its just not possible. The image is the first thing people see on my website and the first thing potential employers see when I link them to the video. It's just embarrassing that the first impression has to be so poor. Sometimes I worry they wont even hit play when they see it.

sean chandler

sean chandler Plus

it's annoying as hell to go to my channel and see the latest video thumbnail resize itself up by 25 pixels or so - I've tried uploading several sizes of thumbnail and none work properly

can't believe how long this has been a known issue

Link: vimeo.com/channels/barbadosrealestatevideo

sean chandler

sean chandler Plus

fixed my own problem - cropped a jpg in photoshop at 1920 x 1080 @72 dpi and uploaded that - no more resizing on the fly

Microstagione

Microstagione

If you don't place a text on the thumbnail and you use 1920x1080 72dpi image it should be not bad solution.

Chimney

Chimney PRO

I know being continually hassled with the same issue may be frustrating, but this is something a lot of people want, so an update on its implementation status would be great.

Having been a Pro member for a while now it is becoming clear that not giving ETA's for fixes is a common issue. Might I humbly suggest that your users will be far less frustrated if they had an estimate of when an issue is likely to be fixed. Even a general time frame would help.

Ohana Films

Ohana Films Plus

Why won't Vimeo address this very simple but important issue? We put so much effort into our work only to have it undermined by a terrible looking thumbnail.

Vimeo staff?

Simon

Simon Plus

This is incredibly important. And it also annoys me that I see some videos out there that have great looking high res thumbnails while mine are crunchy and horrible.
For example.. this is my video: vimeo.com/67799786

BUT this one looks pretty great: vimeo.com/57716110
We are both Plus users.... its so unfair :)
I'm going to test out youtube again and see if it's better now

Links: vimeo.com/67799786, vimeo.com/57716110

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

By default, we currently create a 640px thumbnail. If the video is large enough, we also create a 1280px and 960px version respectively (we also create a bunch of smaller ones to display in search results, etc).

Based on the size of the player, we show the biggest possible version, but if the player isn't at least 960px wide OR the video isn't larger than 640px wide itself, we will always show the 640px thumbnail scaled to fit.

So what does this mean?

- If your video is 640px wide or smaller, you should embed the player at 640px or at the size of the original file to avoid the player scaling the thumbnail.

- If your video is at least 960px wide, you can embed the player at that size or smaller to get that higher res thumbnail. Once the player hits 640px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size.

- If your video is at least 1280px wide, you can embed the player at that size or smaller to get that higher res thumbnail. Once the player hits 960px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size. When it hits 640px wide or below, it will switch to that thumbnail size.

PageUp People

PageUp People Plus

Hi Matt - please go back and read ALL the comments from everyone on this post - the issue is NOT THE IMAGE SIZE - IT IS THE COMPRESSION THAT IS USED WHEN UPLOADING which is reducing the image quality. if nobody at VIMEO can give an adequate response to what is clearly a MAJOR issue for a lot of paying customers, including myself, then please do not just rehash a generic and inadequate response to appear as if you are responding to this issue.

Either address the actual issue raised by all these people above and give us an idea of whether its ever going to be something you look into - or just be honest and say, after 2 years of ignoring this- there is no chance you are going to introduce this feature.

Vimeo is great - but you are letting all these paying customers down and thats bad business.

instruktionsdesign

instruktionsdesign Plus

(PageUp People)
"...NOT THE IMAGE SIZE - IT IS THE COMPRESSION THAT IS USED WHEN UPLOADING which is reducing the image quality. "

I'd like to confirm. One existing issue is the level of compression which is to aggressive. This level needs to be reduced in order to achieve photographic quality by year +2000 standards.

GetSmarter

GetSmarter PRO

Agree with everyone else, the thumbnails should be as sharp as possible no matter the embed size.

Our videos are usually 1280px wide, but the thumbs are average quality at most sizes. I compared uploading a cropped screenshot of the video (with hd on) to the default thumb and the default looks a lot worse, even though Vimeo should pull a frame from the hd version (which is essentially what I did) and scale down as needed.

Maybe the thumbs are being compressed too much?

Please improve the quality of the Vimeo-generated thumbs.
Thanks!

TimPrendergast

TimPrendergast Plus

Would be great to get this resolved, the thumbnail looks terrible on my site and it's literally the first thing you see.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Are you embedding at a size that is larger than the original file itself?

TimPrendergast

TimPrendergast Plus

It scales with the browser window, but even on my 27" screen it defaults to the low res thumbnail.
Resource drain or not, it's an issue. I opted to pay for plus so that I can embed in HD, and would appreciate at least the option to opt-in for a hi res thumbnail.

Donal Thompson

Donal Thompson PRO

I wish I had seen this thread before upgrading. Really worried now.

Travis Laidlaw

Travis Laidlaw Plus

Hey guys, I was having the same problem for quite some time and just recently may have figured it out. I was always uploading my custom still frame/thumbnail 'during' the upload process of my video, and I was always getting pixelated low res thumbnails as a result. Even though the stills uploaded were HD and crisp on my computer. I then 're-uploaded' my custom still well after the video was uploaded successfully and converted. Then the still finally appeared as I intended. Not sure if this is a global workaround but it seems to be working for me.

Felix

Felix

Thanks Travis for your tip! Had the same problem and uploading the thumbnail AFTER you uploaded the video solved the problem.

Ivan Friedman - MAYA PICTURES

Ivan Friedman - MAYA PICTURES PRO

Hello,

The only problem we have currently, is getting the HD thumbnail through the API for our website. Is there a way i have overlooked (couldn't find any documentation) ?

I can understand that on loading the player vimeo may choose the adequate size.

I cannot understand why i cannot request this image through the API (even if it doesn't exist just send me an empty url and i will revert to [thumbnail_large].. )

So please implement [thumbnail_hd] or [thumbnail_best] into the API.

My current work-around is to replace "640" by "1280" and replace img.src onload (if the image exists), wouldn't it be easier and FASTER to add this to the simple api?

Can you please give me a timeline and clear answer as to wether or not and when we can count on this feature being implemented?

Look at link: "will be available in the future", date:july 7, 2009.. omg^^hairpull

Lien: vimeoapi.tumblr.com/post/137195847

Ivan Friedman - MAYA PICTURES

Ivan Friedman - MAYA PICTURES PRO

As far as I know; they haven't given me an answer yet as to the timeline,

The best fix(hack) i found with javascript is so:

given:
var thumbnail_large; //containing your large thumbnail source.

var thumbSplit = thumbnail_large.split("_640.");
var thumbnail_hd = thumbSplit[0] + "_1280." + thumbSplit[1];

As there is no quick way to know if this image exists (it's on a remote server), you want to make sure to set your thumbnail_large source first, then define an onload function for the thumbnail_hd image which replaces your thumbnail_large image source, and finally set your thumbnail_hd source to another image.

This way you will have your thumbnail_large, and when the hd thumbnail is loaded (it will only load if it exists) it will replace it with the hd version.

The only caveat is you cannot preload the hd thumbnails, and you must style your image containers without relying on the image size, width:100%; or something like that.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey all,

Just a general update on the thumbnail quality issue.

We're currently working on a new backend system to handle thumbnails, allowing us to generate new custom sized images on the fly so the thumbnail looks as good as possible regardless of player size, be it embedded or on Vimeo.com. It should also allow users to request any image size (up to the original video size) from our API (although that is on a different timeline).

We'll be sure to update folks when this goes live.

instruktionsdesign

instruktionsdesign Plus

Hi Matt,

That sounds great. However, you mention mostly the sizing part of it. Could you confirm you will also reduce compression level which seems to be overly brutal, i.e., ruins details quite a bit -- even in situations were size isn't an issue.

/Thanks

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

The quality of the images produced is a key factor of this project, so everything should improve soon!

Unum

Unum PRO

Hello Matt,

Are you able to give any sort of ETA for this thumbnail fix project?

It would really help me (and presumably others) adjust our video plans accordingly. Not to belabor the impact of this issue, but our work is basically at a stand-still as we await this fix.

Any estimate would be very helpful, if you can. Q3 2014? Q4 2014? "Soon" just makes it impossible to plan around.

Thank you for your consideration.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.