Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

***UPDATE 9/24/13*** FTP uploading is currently being rolled out to PRO members. To see if you've been given access to this feature, visit vimeo.com/upload and look for the FTP option below the Upload button.

Fabian Mohr

Fabian Mohr Plus

FTP would be quite useful. Blip. tv has such an option and it's great for handling big files.

Michael Brodner

Michael Brodner PRO

Yes I agree. Ive used the one for Blip and its really cool. I dont really like blip as much as vimeo though. The video always seems to play choppy or not look as crisp as vimeos always does. You guys rock!

www.acsdac.org

www.acsdac.org

Yah FTP is cool if Vimeo have it especially when your multi uploader cannot upload FLV files. But as Michael says Vimeo movies are superb. I used divshare.com and they have a cool FTP option too.

Daniel Gardner

Daniel Gardner

I agree with Fabian and the others, FTP would be a lifesaver sometimes. My internet connection has a problem freezing up randomly, specially when I'm halfway through uploading a 50 MB file. It's nerve-racking to say the least.
With FTP I could pick up where the connection left off.

Peter Jahn

Peter Jahn Plus

Since most smtp-servers are limited to a very small attachment since I would also prefer uploads via ftp. It ist fast and stable. I do not think that it is obsolete!

Martijn de Bie

Martijn de Bie

Please FTP, now im uploading a 200mb movie (school request?! ) and I'm only hoping the connection won't fail during uploading.

m4fi3ux

m4fi3ux

i'd like ftp too !!!

Peter Jahn

Peter Jahn Plus

ok. still no reaction from the vimeo team :-(

Brian Lowe

Brian Lowe

Please, please, please, I would pay $$ for ftp uploading please Vimeo?

Carl Adams

Carl Adams

Funny you should all mention FTP. I was uploading my first vid today and was thinking the same thing. I have never uploaded such a big file (350mb) via my browser before and it failed a couple of times, Ouch at 3hours a time.

If this site is aimed at professionals unlike other video sites I wont mention, then we all know what we are doing so FTP is a definite MUST HAVE as an alternative.

maleksa

maleksa

I agree with others and I'd like to upload via FTP.
FTP is better because you could post a number of files at once (no need to type or click mouse for every single file)/
Also I'd suggest you allow "descript.ion" files (import remarks from them).

jack spratt

jack spratt

FTP already has

+ built in support for auto resume
+ most clients support bandwidth throttling
+ batch uploading is a breeze
+ schedule uploading
+ won't SUCK up browser virtual memory
+ it predates the interweb
+ less load server side

sFTP is another option to explore ;)

Vic

Vic

Agree, and please include an auto-resume for downloads - saves me having loads of restarts with my wireless connection!

Olly Newport

Olly Newport

I have just tried 8 times since 5pm today and now its 11pm tonight to upload a 100MB video. I IS INCREDIBLY ANNOYING. I can even render 1 hour HD videos faster than the amount of times I've tried to upload this!

Jeroen de Vries

Jeroen de Vries

I agree with you guys it would be so much better if we can upload through FTP

Austin Butler

Austin Butler

I see what you are saying, but don't you already waste a lot of resources when it takes four tries to upload a 100mb file? That's around 350MB of bandwidth versus 100MB... And as for talking about PASV, etc. I thought most FTP clients automatically switch to whatever works.

I'd say make FTP an advanced option, write up a very small tutorial, and say that there's no help from staff when using FTP (it's for advanced users only!).

A desktop uploader client would be fine, too. I would think making a whole new program that does the same thing as FTP, though, would take more resources, but I might ( err... probably) be wrong.

Jeroen de Vries

Jeroen de Vries

I think the staff knows what he is talking about but
the best solution is that you can resume you upload in any way like ftp or a desktop uploader so that if it fails
you can resume and indeed that would help most people

InsProductions

InsProductions

yes, resuming is a great plus for upload! if you implement it in the standard/desktop uploader, then maybe you don't need ftp anymore

Brianna Laugher

Brianna Laugher

+1 for FTP, or any kind of resume-friendly uploading really.

CIONET

CIONET Plus

+1 for FTP (just for PLUS is fine)

Solo500

Solo500

Add me to the FTP requesting crowd.

Murat Çorlu

Murat Çorlu

Sure!! FTP support is our dream! Also a resume-friendly desktop uploader can help us too. Maybe, you can give an option like uploading videos as zip/rar parts too...

Julián M.

Julián M.

+1 for a resume upload feature. ftp, desktop-uploader or whatever...
Here in SouthAmerica we dont have really fast upload speeds available, and right now im uploading a 150mb video at 10kb/s, its above 50% and still 2hs to go...
a 4hours non interrupted internet conection is not as easy as it sounds...

Thanks

Karel Bata

Karel Bata

Here's an idea:

What if Vimeo did a deal with one of those file up/download services like YouSendIt or Rapidshare such that users could ftp to them, and then have a facility for transferring files over to Vimeo? That way someone else deals with all the ftp hassle.

Sounds complicated, but maybe it's easy. My 2p.

Karel Bata

Karel Bata

Well, a bit of research seems to show that something like this is already happening: tubemogul.com/

"TubeMogul is a free service that provides a single point for deploying uploads to the top video sharing sites" tubemogul.com/about/features.php

I can't figure out if it's ftp. Anyone know any more?

Steve Nilsen

Steve Nilsen

A new web/desktop interface/api would be usefull, only if Vimeo removed the 200kb/sec upload limit. Have uploaded a couple of videos, and can¨t get over 200 kb/sec uploads.

Gospel Musicians

Gospel Musicians PRO

Ok, I'll use Webdav, but what is the actual address to do that on Vimeo?

HARJEET SINGH

HARJEET SINGH

trying to upload a 240mb file from LAST 2 DAYS but such a waste of time (and vimeo bandwidth) due to browser disconnections, sometimes near 90%. FTP WOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONLY SOLUTION. We are all taking about SERIOUS FILE TRANSFERS without File Transfer Protocal (FTP). !!!!

des le rip

des le rip

people from VIMEO staff are just donkeys, I don't think that they want to implement any option that will help us to upload any shit to this problematic site, really I can't upload any shit without get a fucking broken transfer.

I agree that ftp would be the only solution to this BIG problem... so what are you waiting for ?

"donkeys are just donkeys, they can't understand own needs"

By Hugo chavez from venezuela.

Jonathan Mafi

Jonathan Mafi

i have no idea what FTP is and not that keen to know what it is either and uploading is fine...

No name

No name

Count me in for FTP uploading. What I need is some way to batch upload a number of videos and the ability to resume in case of failure part way through.

COMPONENTGEEK

COMPONENTGEEK Plus

I agree with FTP uploading and resuming. My uploads keep stopping half-way. It's from my end though, since my connection tends to reset itself when the kids randomly decide to play their online games.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

have you read our responses above?

Border Hopping

Border Hopping

Yes? Is there a particular one you are referring to? I was just adding my +1 for FTP and saying that it would have been easier to implement then a cross OS desktop app

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i was referring to peter mcarthur's (staff) response.

Border Hopping

Border Hopping

Oh, oops...

In response to Peter's comment:

FTP is not very secure, correct. But there are gillions of things you can do to make it more secure. For one, you could create temporary FTP addresses that expire. A user logs into their site and clicks on an "Upload via FTP" ftp:// link and it would be something like user-random19384.ftp.vimeo.com

Or, you could use sftp.

In either case... why PASV? And why does it matter that it is secure? I'd imagine that the files would just be uploaded, and when complete get scooped up by some script that moves them to the proper place and encodes them for Vimeo. Even if someone gained access to the account, the worst they could do would be to upload videos to your account which would quickly be recognized since we get emails when a video gets uploaded. And that's an awful lot of trouble to go through just to get your video on someone elses account.

And don't underestimate your audience. If they can figure how to shoot, edit, and encode a video then they can figure out the simple thing that is FTP.

Another benefit to FTP is it can be easily scripted using one of the many command line ftp apps and users could then automate the process of uploading videos. You could even build a desktop app around FTP if you so choose and it would me a million times easier.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i don't disagree with any of your arguments but it is just that... your side of opinions on how you see things. i am sure you will understand that we have our own side of understanding our users based on the data we have -- how often we see undesirable attempts to hack, attack, exploit vimeo, how often some portion of our community lack the basic understanding of tools when we try to support them, how "gazillions of things we can do" is unfortunately something we cannot afford to do right now given the size of our operation and things we need to focus on.

Mark Perin

Mark Perin

I'll gladly upgrade to plus if I could have an FTP upload option. http for large video files is too buggy.

Craig Seeman

Craig Seeman

FTP upload. Are we not some notable (or at least vocal) portion of the user base? At least allow for those who understand how to use. Maybe the ability to upload larger than 1GB will motivate others to learn.

jvcoombs

jvcoombs

+1 for me. I just joined and am impressed overall with the usability of the web interface, and especially the ability to provide my visitors with the original source files. But the lack of a bulk uploader is problematic. A standard FTP client like Filezilla makes more sense to me than a custom app.

Personally, I'd love for my brothers and parents to be able to BULK DOWNLOAD my videos of my kids too, and FTP download of the original source files would be one good way for them to this, either all at once or incrementally. The restriction of "5 source downloads per day" would have to be lifted, or at least lifted for Plus customers. And by this I mean that if I become a Plus customer, all of my visitors could download unlimited source files FROM me, regardless of whether they are also Plus customers. Currently it's the other way around, restricting each non-Plus visitor to 5, and unfortunately, I have lots of short clips rather than a few long ones.

oldarney

oldarney

Add me in to the FTP bandwagon. Im supposed to be incharge of uploading my schools productions (about 30). Its going to be a true pain without FTP.

VideoLogic

VideoLogic Plus

Maybe you can consider an offline upload tool that's safe and have the same functionality as FTP ??

VideoLogic

VideoLogic Plus

Yes, I know. But I hope youll develop a functionality from which rendered files (from my editing suite) automaticly can be uploaded with the feature.
I now use BLIP. I render my video's to a specific local directory and after the 'SynckBack" syncronise this with my Blip account. Very handy when I sleep ;-) It's had been published when I wake up ;-) Rgds, Daan

Scary Cow

Scary Cow Plus

I will die a happy man once you release a desktop client to upload. Bulk upload = dreamy.

Vonwa aka Kévin Levain

Vonwa aka Kévin Levain

And why not simply add a url field pointing on a video file hosted on my server (myurl/myvideo.mov).
Let us do the ftp transfer, just take the video file once online !

Seriously, this is the only fault (and I wish you know how annoying it is) concerning the whole usability of vimeo !

buybigtires

buybigtires

Hey, let's all talk about the fact that ftp would be OS independent. This means that those of us using Linux, or other alternative OS' would be able to use ftp. While the desktop app would be nice, FTP would be supported immediately. Please...FTP...

dalas verdugo

dalas verdugo Staff

The Desktop App is nearing completion and is supported on OS X, Windows, and Linux as an Adobe Air application.

buybigtires

buybigtires

Dallas...what a brilliant idea. Thanks for making something OS agnostic...sort of...

Thanks from the Linux community. Not that I can claim to represent them...

Paul W. Rankin

Paul W. Rankin

Adobe AIR across all OS? I really wanted to avoid installing AIR on my nice clean Mac.

Matt Lowery

Matt Lowery

+1 for the desktop client. Good to hear it's nearly done.
OS X too? Great! Pleeeeeasee tell me this will be available as a free user? I just don't have $50 to spend here! Maybe in a few weeks...

DeafNation

DeafNation PRO

Im happy to hear that we are expecting desktop app so while you are working on it, add iPhone support for upload too!

Florian Robardet

Florian Robardet

I vote for FTP upload too ! Please add the FTP functionality :)

VideoLogic

VideoLogic Plus

Very curious how long this functionality will take.. How Can I be informed, When It's ready ?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we're not considering ftp upload option but we are working on a desktop uploader app which is nearing its release.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we generally do not comment on the ETA of unreleased product until we are sure. not hours. it's in a phase where we are internally testing a working product and running QA.

VideoLogic

VideoLogic Plus

I'm watching you on Twitter ! :-) Can I be of any help to help you beta-testing your new products?

Jitendra Raj Bajracharya

Jitendra Raj Bajracharya

In countries with slow and unreliable internet connections, it is extremely important to have a resume option to continue the upload at the point of failure. Otherwise large video upload becomes just about impossible...

Please give a note when it is possible to become a beta or even alpha tester of the desktop app!

Leo Hutson

Leo Hutson

yea, just trying to upload a large file now, nothing to do with my internet though. My computer decided to shut itself down. might take a look at that API, i hope its C++ or Python, if its jabascript i will be pissed.

Stan Hirson

Stan Hirson Plus

An upload function with resume would solve a lot of problems for me. I am in a rural area, on dsl, and it is impossible to load large files to take advantage of HD. An ftp function with resume would certainly help!

Doug Small

Doug Small

I have recently experienced failed upload too (attempting to upload large file 491MB failed 5 or 6 times now). I just signed up for "plus" too, thinking faster upload and conversion but it's been exact opposite. It sounds like you're close to having an alternative that may resolve "large file" option.

Are 1 month away or 6-12 months?
I saw tubemogul.com mentioned earlier, has anyone gotten that to work?

I really like Vimeo, I agree with other users that this is the *only* thing that I'm frustrated with, happy with everything else.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

We are very close to launching a Desktop Uploader that will crush this problem. So prepare for the glory to come very soon.

VISOR AUDIOVISUAL

VISOR AUDIOVISUAL Plus

We also prefer FTP server or WebDAV. We use Final Cut Server and will be really useful, of course more than desktop uploader.

Doug B

Doug B

Did anyone who was crying for an FTP upload capability ever stop to think that maybe Vimeo doesn't want us uploading gazillions of one hour videos?

Spectrum Productions

Spectrum Productions

But if we're paying for the service and that's what we want .. then that's what we should get.

SimpleTwist

SimpleTwist Plus

Desktop uploader blows. It's Flash based which you've already had issues with. FTP please - I'm about ready to not renew - I'm sick of errors and times outs.

WK

WK

I'm wondering, why is so hard to implement old good ftp. Who as ever used ftp knows, it is this like paradise compared with web-based upload hell... From both sides, users and admins.

Ed Malaga

Ed Malaga

2 days trying to upload 200mb. 7 error breaks. It's 2010. +1 to FTP for premier accounts.

Propel Media

Propel Media Plus

Also having major trouble with the desktop uploader. Bits on the Run and blip both use ftp which is really handy. Bits on the Run abandoned the flash desktop uploader because it was unreliable. Currently on my 5th attempt at uploading a file now.

Luke Olson

Luke Olson

I see the comment from Blake Whitman, regardless I want to give feedback. I'm working on a pipeline to upload videos for a university and an FTP option would be immensely useful. Right now I'm working with Python and the API to try and get something working but its very "Rube Goldberg" for what could otherwise be fairly simple with FTP. The Vimeo Desktop Uploader is nice but I don't see any command line options or ways to schedule uploads. Please reconsider FTP or consider command line options for the uploader? Cheers!

Mobberly Media

Mobberly Media PRO

Ok, my deal is I'm busy. I don't have time to sit and wait for a render, then upload it to Vimeo. I need it to work with my editing system (which will automatically upload it via FTP) so I can leave to render and upload, so I can focus on other tasks!

FTP in Premiere and Compressor has been around for years. Can Vimeo get in the right decade please!

Brian Wilkinson

Brian Wilkinson Plus

A vote for FTP when you get around to it. Could use it from Adobe Media Encoder and Sorenson.

HABITO

HABITO

bump. I also would like this feature implemented. It could be a reason to purchase a plus account for me.

Garage Productions

Garage Productions Plus

+1 for me. We use Vimeo Plus for our professional needs, and FTP would be a great help.

Capital Connections

Capital Connections Plus

start listening to your paying customers. Not having an FTP transfer option is a failing, and a big one. The Adobe Air uploader is crap. Just got to 100% of a large file and it then fell right back to 41%.

Don't keep wasting my time like this...

Joe Atzberger

Joe Atzberger

Vista (64-bit) repeatedly tells me "Vimeo Uploader.exe has stopped working" and kills the app after uploading a mere 160 KB or so. Happens even if run as admin.

ccc-2010.ca

ccc-2010.ca

I'd just like some way to limit the upload speed. When I am uploading (using DSL) it really reduces the download speed.

Joerg Pfeiffer

Joerg Pfeiffer

still no ftp? what's going on? So I still have to wait until I get the pro account.... makes no sense without ftp!!!

John Butler

John Butler

Interesting conversation here guys... I have just finished creating a simple and fast FTP upload tool. I have tested it with large files. You can download it free at ftplieman.com
I hope this helps,
John

John Butler

John Butler

Oh, forgot to mention. The nice thing about this software is that it creates an email message upon upload, which you can send to anyone. All they have to do to download it is click on the link. No login neccessary.

Festival of Sins

Festival of Sins

Couldn't agree more on an FTP solution.
I've spent 4 days trying to upload a 1.09gb file. It drops every so often and then when it does get to 100%, it fails to see the file up on Vimeo. :(

FTP would be SO much easier.

Joe Atzberger

Joe Atzberger

For an example implementation of an easy to use SFTP interface, see github.com. Paste SSH keys into a config box and go. Dead simple.

It is so much easier to implement a standards-based service like SFTP than to engineer a cross-browser re-implementation of basically the same technology w/ a bunch of interfering constraints and mismatched protocol overhead. WEBDAV is severely *not* the answer.

sFTP is scriptable in a great variety of command-lines and client GUIs. Every platform has (s)FTP clients. A lot of editing software has an export to (s)FTP option. It is a protocol specifically designed to transfer large files, which is exactly the problem at hand. I don't see any way around this, and I'm surprised that 3 years later it's still an open question. How is it Vimeo wants to be a host of large video files, yet doesn't support the easiest most common method of transfer for the same files?

JPG

JPG Plus

I've been trying to upload a 700mb file for a couple of days now as well with no luck. Both the Desktop Uploader and the Web Based Flash uploader zoom up to 99% complete uploaded and stay there, saying I've uploaded it at 50MB/s, which is impossible for more reasons that one.

FTP/SCP/SFTP - One of those would be epic.

Carl Rosendahl

Carl Rosendahl

Even though this thread is 3 years old now, I'd like to add my request. Premiere has the ability to export a file and ftp it automatically. I would LOVE to be able to use this functionality and save a step. My file is going to take awhile to export, which I'll let it do tonight. Instead of having to upload my file tomorrow, it could be happening automatically tonight and be ready in the morning.

Matthew Gore

Matthew Gore

FTP Upload would definitely be appreciated. I have to upload my files to my webhost's account anyway, so it would save me a ton of time to be able to FXP the files from there to Vimeo.

One Soul

One Soul

I'm voting for RSync protocol ;). Secure, fast, and error safe. Delivers only missing/damaged parts, can be uploaded from several places same time one file. Same like torrents. Or you can at least implement possibility to continue uploading video if computer has restarted, etc - calculate has of uploaded video parts and upload only new missing parts and reupload damaged ones...

javier milara

javier milara

please, add FTP upload, it'll be very useful!!

Trev

Trev

Yep, can't upload at all. FTP please.

AmateurTourGuide

AmateurTourGuide

Hi everyone,
I made exactly this, a ftp upload option for Vimeo. I'm looking for a few people to help test it out. If you're interested please contact me. thanks.

Capital Connections

Capital Connections Plus

I just re-read this thread after getting an e-mail from Vimeo asking me to fill out a survey because they're interested in doing whatever it takes to make Vimeo 'as super-awesome as it possibly can be'. Except, of course, if whatever it takes means offering FTP. Reading the staff responses just boggles my mind. The lack of FTP access is a massive problem for me, as is the attitude of staff who obviously just have an axe to grind. Gee, I wonder if there are any other video/file hosting services on the internet that allow FTP...

Finiderire

Finiderire

Hi,

I also need FTP.
Just because I need the resume ability from this protocol. I can't stand canceled upload when my internet connection was lost for two seconds.

Blip.tv allow FTP to any user <3
Divshare.com allows FTP to Pro users =/
Vimeo.com does not allow FTP =(

a+, =)
-=Finiderire=-

Video.lv

Video.lv

We too like to get FTP upload account... Please!

Ronen Esh

Ronen Esh

I too share this sentiment. I am in the same position as Carl Rosendahl. Im also considering upgrading to plus very soon!

Make the FTP upload happen guys! That would be great!

Nick

Nick

Please add FTP or SFTP upload option!!!

The DH Group

The DH Group

I just upgraded to Pro. It took me only 30 seconds to wonder if FTP uploading would be better. I came to this Forum. I'm assuming this will never be an option. I have a 97mb file to upload and it keeps failing via the normal uploader. With FTP to my server I never have a problem.

Blackhawk Church

Blackhawk Church PRO

Please give us FTP! Or allow an application like Sorenson Squeeze to publish to Vimeo. Thanks!

Puddinhead

Puddinhead

I dumped my last video service as it lacked FTP uploads. I gave up trying to use a browser upload as it cannot handle over 500mb and it is way too slow and cannot batch upload. No video biz is going to sit there watching a browser upload their videos.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

FTP upload support is something we are still looking into. We wanted to offer it with PRO but it turned out to be more complicated than we anticipated given the infrastructure we use. It is, however, something we'd like to offer in the future.

Summa

Summa

+1 on FTP. I also want to upload several files at once, which is something that FTP would allow me to do.

ASHER GmbH

ASHER GmbH Plus

upload speed gets more slower day by day.
please do anything to solve it.
FTP or sFTP would be great. (with multi-upload + resume)

Spanish Highs

Spanish Highs Plus

NEED FTP or similar please. I have wasted 6hrs today trying to upload a 450mb file. Cant waste any more time. Moving on.

Daniel O'Flaherty

Daniel O'Flaherty

+1 on FTP! Most video guys end up being tech savvy and know all the right ways to move the large HD videos around, sFTP would be awesome, I have a massive amount of vids to upload, FTP FTW!

Taylor Martyn

Taylor Martyn Plus

I just found out that they ceased development and distribution of their desktop uploader. Not sure what's going on, but it seems short sighted to just up and do away with it without an alternative. Even before it was released I discussed it with some of the staff. Their API is enough for someone out there to write an app for it and make it work. I'm clueless as to how there's not a single guy out there who's made one yet. He could even sell it for a few bucks. I'm no coder, but I don't think this is a difficult thing to script.

Dan Hudgins

Dan Hudgins Plus

It should be possible to have an FTP folder, and just manually copy those files into the Vimeo compressor Que every half hour or something with drag and drop?

IPBSF

IPBSF

Vote for FTP!

Bhaktiratna Sadhu

Bhaktiratna Sadhu

+1. Please give us a way to resume failed uploads. This is very much needed due to vairiable upload speeds, intermittent drops and powercuts in Asian countries. Either by resuming the file upload via FTP like Blip.tv or by a new desktop uploader.

St. Timothy Lutheran Church

St. Timothy Lutheran Church Plus

+1 from me too. Not encouraged by the lack of staff response on this thread. How much trouble is it to just drop in and say something - anything?

Journey Church

Journey Church PRO

FTP would be great as I am trying to automate my work flow and not have to spend an addition 4 hours after service each weekend for post production.

vtdiy.

vtdiy.

4 years of requests for ftp so far. What a waste of time.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

FTP is still something that we find difficult to build on top of our infrastructure but we are working on some other methods of uploading which we hope our users will like.

Disposable Television

Disposable Television

Can you upload via Lynx or via command line from a remote server shell? That'd be cool and at least solve some of the problems with browser and final-mile ISP issues.
ty!

Diego Medina

Diego Medina Plus

i´m still having trouble trying to upload my videos to vimeo.
checked the firewall, tried with 3 types of browsers, same problems.
i´d love to keep being a vimeo user, but i´m having enough of those bugs. can´t stand them anymore.
please, DO consider a FTP transfer for vimeo.

Cursos7

Cursos7 Plus

+1 For FTP. You Guys should find a way to protect your servers from exploiters without punishing we advanced users. Right now i cant upload 500MB+ videos because of my shit connection, but if i get ftp from vimeo it could be solved in a breeze.

Seth Carstens

Seth Carstens Plus

+1 for FTP Upload. I've tried every browser, they just can't handle my 60 minute videos. I should be able to upload 1 hour presentations to vimeo. Please devs, give us more options then the standard browser!!!

Corporate Visions Inc

Corporate Visions Inc PRO

one more vote for FTP. We just started moving over to Blip and the lack of FTP on Vimeo just plain sucks!

CHEZ LOTFAÏ

CHEZ LOTFAÏ PRO

If FTP was on, I would only have a single action to do from Final Cut for my client videos to be uploaded :

When I export from Final Cut / Compressor, I can specify an FTP access. This would make me gain so much time !

Plus, a special preset on vimeo's admin page to choose how our FTP uploaded files would be managed (Privacy etc...).

THIS WOULD BE SOOOO APPRECIATED BY ALL OF YOUR PREMIUM MEMBERS !

Link: chezlotfai.com

INTON_pl

INTON_pl

And 4me too FTP is needful

HABITO

HABITO

Yes, ftp would be nice. Mainly because we do not have the desktop uploader anymore.

Forest Park Church

Forest Park Church Plus

Thinking about switching service providers as the browser uploader is failing too often. FTP would be a big improvement.

Storia Works

Storia Works PRO

I don' like to see "Oops" message anymore during upload. Please FTP

Stas Fomin

Stas Fomin Plus

FTP/SCP/SFTP will be great! ("Flash crashed"/"Oops" are so annoying...).

defineinsane

defineinsane

Wow. I signed up, paid, simply because I had *no idea* that there was no FTP upload on a video sharing site...

Then I found this thread opened back in 2007, checked it again, checked FAQ, everything, then Googled for half an hour, only to see that there's still no FTP upload option in Decemkber 2012. Am I missing something?...

FCCR LIVE

FCCR LIVE Plus

I would also love to see ftp on vimeo. that way I can upload direct from adobe premiere pro and not worry about it.

Darius Family

Darius Family Plus

Please! or some kind of scriptable command line interface would be amazing!!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

This has been addressed few times here and on few other threads but to sum up... yes, we are interested in working on this feature. We believe it will be a nice addition to our upload page. There's a terrible amount of complexity that involves uploading, encoding and shuttling files between various servers we maintain but we hope we can offer this feature in the future.

Aurora Recording

Aurora Recording PRO

I am a PRO member. I am mostly uploading files that are about 3GB in size. FTP would really be a great help! Is there an ETA on getting FTP for Vimeo?

Underlings-A Film by Anna Stumpf

Underlings-A Film by Anna Stumpf

I'm VERY interested in joining Vimeo PRO for the company I work for (a financial market research firm with about 25 employees). My problem is I've got a very large number of videos, 840 to be exact, to switch over from our current system in order to make the change.

I'm wondering if there's any chance that you'll consider the idea of an 'initial upload' service, where people wanting to switch to Vimeo can send you a hard drive with all their videos loaded on it and you load them all into a new PRO account?

I am worried that if we have to load these videos manually, with the bulk uploader only accepting 5 videos at a time, and with the upload problems I've seen on forums, it's going to cost us thousands in man hours to get our videos into your system. Any help or ideas as to how to make this switchover happen with as little pain as possible would be so much appreciated. Please feel free to contact me anytime at 917-647-6234 or astumpf@tabbgroup.com. Thanks very much!!
Anna

Julian Wolf

Julian Wolf PRO

@Staff:

You wrote that FTP is difficult to put on your infrastructure.
What about an open FTP-Connection like you already have with DropBox?

The Dropbox is OK, but I don´t want to pay money only for uploading. I got my own server and tons of free space there.
If I could specify another folder on my own server, same way as in the moment only dorpbox works, this would be totally okay for me. I could FTP to my server and Vimeo takes it from a specified folder there.

All the best, Julian!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

We appreciate the feedback! We are considering FTP uploading as an option for accounts, and we agree it would be a valuable addition to our feature set.

Jayden Lawson

Jayden Lawson

+1. Could set up an Adobe Media Encoder watch folder to crunch a video, and auto-FTP to Vimeo.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

***UPDATE 9/24/13*** FTP uploading is currently being rolled out to PRO members. To see if you've been given access to this feature, visit vimeo.com/upload and look for the FTP option below the Upload button.

Floating Lime Media

Floating Lime Media

That is Bl**dy fantastic news. If you roll out FTP to all Pro members I, and I am sure many many others would upgrade in a heartbeat! Only taken 5+years of members asking...............
We use it for iStock video and it makes such a difference being able to leave the machines working all night in a way we do not have to worry about.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

FTP uploading will be available to all PRO members shortly, we're just slowly rolling it out to make sure nothing crazy happens :)

Floating Lime Media

Floating Lime Media

Matt - thanks for getting back to me on that one - I will be upgrading then! Fantastic news - well done the Vimeo team.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Maybe one day, but for now this is will be a PRO feature :(

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.